What's new

How do you store your SRs?

Some say just dry the blade, some say oil the blade. Some say store in an airtight jar or tote box, others say store in a cigar box. Some use gel packs, some don't. Depends on humidity? Some say yes, others say no.

How do you store your SRs for short and long term storage?

I posted this on another site but here goes again..........

Use.....clean with water......a few strokes on the barber hone.....pasted leather strop.......linen or nylon strop......then plain leather.......apply Ballistol to pivot pin and lightly coat blade. Call it cheap insurance for a great investment.

I do have a desk in my room who have a little drawer and i store them in thootbrush cases and simili Leather 4 sleeve case. I dont oil them cau all my 14 Straights are in my shaving rotation, since i shave every day they dont have Time to rust.

Legion

Staff member
I only use one razor mainly. It just lives in a Bakelite razor coffin, no oil.

My storage razors with natural scales are in one sealed box, no silica gel. The storage razors with synthetic scales are in another sealed container with a bit of silica for luck.

You don't want want to make the environment too dry for the natural scales, especially ivory.

When planning not to use a razor for an extended period of time, I dry it with a towel, followed by a tissue, and give it a light coating of oil. Otherwise, I dry it with a towel, followed by a tissue on the blade and between the scales and set it aside for morning. I also do not store straights in the humid environment of a bathroom, not even overnight. I have a closet shelf dedicated for this.

$untitled.jpgI keep mine oiled and in a jewelry tray organizer. I keep 2 out hanging on GrimGallows stands for an EOD rotation

Legion

Staff member
I will start using this next week. Right now I have them all sitting out in nickel 1/2 moon stands. The key is too keep them dry and if not being used regularly a little coat of Vaseline to prevent rust. I thoroughly dry, including inside the scales, then strop 25 on leather to assure the bevel is thoroughly dried.

I'm not sure if I would recommend Vaseline. I know a lot of guys use it, but it is sticky and hard to remove completely. Chances are you could damage the edge getting it all off, or wipe it into your strop if you dont.

Plain mineral oil will prevent rust on a razor that is used semi regularly, and wipes right off. For a razor that is only for display, Ren Wax is what the museums use.

I will start using this next week. Right now I have them all sitting out in nickel 1/2 moon stands. The key is too keep them dry and if not being used regularly a little coat of Vaseline to prevent rust. I thoroughly dry, including inside the scales, then strop 25 on leather to assure the bevel is thoroughly dried.
View attachment 681732

Where did you find that?

When I finally get into SRs, I want to assemble a 7-day set, and that would be a great way to display them. But mine will not be a days-of-the-week identical razors, mine will be an assortment of blades in a variety of widths and grinds. Even so, I will need something to keep them in. I had thought about getting a leather roll made, but this looks better.

http://www.knifecenter.com
I'm doing a 7 day with MK31s and a second of Swedish razors; they deserve a grand display case.

That box looks great. Aframestoyko has random ones which look nice, but those with the window look great. Anyone have one? Is that a glass or plastic window? I imagine glass, but just confirming.

Sure beats scattering razors throughout the house which are hiding on top of cabinets and top shelf dresser drawers. ESPECIALLY when your spouse finds them and tell you to sell off ones you don't use any more so she doesn't encounter them randomly throughout the house...

mine are stored without oil in a box that was made for storing incense sticks. it's about the right size for storing straight razors. I like the idea of the silicate packs. I think i'm going to throw a few in my storage box.

Top Bottom