What's new

How do you store Mitchell's Wool Fat?

D

dangerousrazor

I purchased Mitchell's Wool Fat back in the 2013 when I started DE shaving. At first, I had problem making a good lather but soon dialed in. but an unexpected problem happened. The soap began to develop crack all over the surface of it. It didn't look good but I thought it had nothing to do with the soap's performance so I ignored it. As time passed, the crack developed deeper, finally breaking into pieces. Looking back, I think I did nothing wrong. I just stored it in a wooden bowl and always put the lid on.

Was the soap a faulty one or Did I have to do a special care to prevent it from cracking? I'm considering purchasing it again but my previous experience makes me hesitate to buy it.

In the ceramic container that came with it. I buy the refills now.

I recall having the same issue, but it doesn't seem to be the case for me now. I've heard local water quality can make it perform finicky.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have had several pucks of MWF and always kept them in the MWF ceramic lidded pot. I use them once or twice a week and they sit on the window sill in the bathroom which can get steamy if the shower is in use. I live in the UK so the climate is not particularly hot. If I do not use MWF, or any soap, for a few weeks then I would expect it to be dry with maybe a surface crack only. I have had soaps which have not been used for decades and they have not cracked right through.

I would say that cracking of Mitchell's Wool Fat is a "trade mark" of the soap.

No problem with cracking. It is the ingredients that cause this phenomenon.

If I dont use mine for acouple days i notice some cracks but i try and put a few drops of water on it when its not in use daily.

If you store it for too long, the Fat won't like you any more. The crack is a trademark, also that she wants to be used at least once in a while. Some guys water the soap, let it soak until the puck reaches the brim of the bowl, and then keep the puck moistened. The Fat is a bit bitchy.

A week or two ago I replied to an MWF post, with tongue slightly in cheek, stating that it gets sulky if it's not used regularly - it's actually the truth. I experienced exactly the same issues as the OP with the first puck that I owned. It does happen to other hard soaps, but not quite to the same degree. I love MWF and when I start a puck now I make sure that it's used very regularly until finished.

D

dangerousrazor

Thanks for all the answer. The best solution seems to be giving constant love to her. She is too demanding...Maybe I need to reconsider meeting her again..

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I keep mine in a nice Schone bowl with tight fitting lid:

shave 20200314.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If it is in pieces then why not grate it and press it into a bowl? You could seed it with a scent of your choice and see how it turns out. I do this often with MWF and now have vintage Old Spice, Faberge Brut, and Aramis scented shave soaps. It is superb 👍

I store my MWF the same way I store any other soap. I stuck mine into a Stirling plastic covered container. And I use it the same way as my others. I load my brush for about a minutes, move to a lather bowl and go to town. Once I'm finished with my shave, I put the open soap container near my den and let it air dry for 24 hours before putting the lid back on and sticking it in it's rightful spot with the other soaps.

If you store it for too long, the Fat won't like you any more. The crack is a trademark, also that she wants to be used at least once in a while. Some guys water the soap, let it soak until the puck reaches the brim of the bowl, and then keep the puck moistened. The Fat is a bit bitchy.
Yes, she is.

Thanks for all the answer. The best solution seems to be giving constant love to her. She is too demanding...Maybe I need to reconsider meeting her again..
Demanding she might be, but imo well worth the effort. She definitely delivers if you treat her right, as many others will attest to.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It must be used daily for best results. Seriously.

You cannot have it in a rotation, it demands your total attention.

AA

Top Bottom