What's new

How do you start campfires?

Fire IS the Devil's only friend...

I use flint and steel, myself. Tinder is a whole 'nother subject...

AA
I used to do the same but now I use dryer lint or newspaper and a lighter. I proved to myself I could start a fire with a ferro rod or a flint, but it is time consuming. Lighter fluid if it is really windy or the wood is wet. 😜

We have campfires 2-3x a week from May to Oct, so quick lighting is key for me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I used to do the same but now I use dryer lint or newspaper and a lighter. I proved to myself I could start a fire with a ferro rod or a flint, but it is time consuming. Lighter fluid if it is really windy or the wood is wet. 😜

We have campfires 2-3x a week from May to Oct, so quick lighting is key for me.
They say - whoever THEY are :lol: - that a lot of dryer lint these days is nylon, from all the blends we wear. Dunno. :letterk1: Also, remember to pull those rayon balls out of your Zippo and replace with cotton balls. Can spark those when the lighter is dry.

I carry an Altoids tin with the abovementioned vaseline cotton balls, and wax-dipped jute pieces (burlap string). Tie these around your tinder, poke into holes and strike a spark.

Another prepper :hand: gave me some of his: those women's cosmetic flat cotton pads, dipped in wax. They pack easy, have a hole in the middle for string etc.

Knew a codger - make that "an old hunter" - who carried a box of birthday candles. I'd think that'd work too.

Especially if sparked with OP's FLAMETHROWER!

AA

Last edited:
I love using waxed cotton for starting fires.

I found an old roll of cotton batting at work that I cut into 6x6 inch pieces and dipped in melted wax. I use them camping with the fam. One will start dry wood without tinder or too much kindling really. Set up some wood over the cotton and light it and go about the chores around camp. In 10 minutes, a great fire is rolling. I carry a multitude of stick lighters in my pop up.

Backpacking I carry small lighters and a couple small strikers. Vaseline cotton balls are great on a small container. I use an old skoal tin for various tinder. I never thought of waxed string. I might try that one @Ad Astra!

I would like to se a real flame thrower, but for $700....I think I’ll pass. Can’t believe one can actually buy it though....

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I love using waxed cotton for starting fires.

I found an old roll of cotton batting at work that I cut into 6x6 inch pieces and dipped in melted wax. I use them camping with the fam. One will start dry wood without tinder or too much kindling really. Set up some wood over the cotton and light it and go about the chores around camp. In 10 minutes, a great fire is rolling. I carry a multitude of stick lighters in my pop up.

Backpacking I carry small lighters and a couple small strikers. Vaseline cotton balls are great on a small container. I use an old skoal tin for various tinder. I never thought of waxed string. I might try that one @Ad Astra!

I would like to se a real flame thrower, but for $700....I think I’ll pass. Can’t believe one can actually buy it though....

Jute twine, they sell it in "gardening." Couldn't remember the word earlier. I just like that you can coil and thread it like a fuse ... just heat a tin can filled with candle wax and dip.

AA

Interesting thread.. spent many years camping/backpacking and started many-a-campfire. Never used any of the above and always worked with what we found in the area... I specifically remember teaching the boys how to make a campfire after a downpour when everything was wet.... made some fur sticks (at least that's what I always have called them) and used wood from the center of an otherwise wet piece of wood. If we needed a headstart, you can't beat pine sap. I miss those days.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Interesting thread.. spent many years camping/backpacking and started many-a-campfire. Never used any of the above and always worked with what we found in the area... I specifically remember teaching the boys how to make a campfire after a downpour when everything was wet.... made some fur sticks (at least that's what I always have called them) and used wood from the center of an otherwise wet piece of wood. If we needed a headstart, you can't beat pine sap. I miss those days.
Yes; here in the south - back in the day - all we ever needed or used was "lighter wood," rock-hard fossilized longleaf pine. You'd keep a chunk in the truck and splinter off long narrow bits. Burned very well to start anything.

Whenever you were hunting and found a lighter wood stump, it was always worth digging up.

Of course they are still found, but much more rarely.

AA

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Nice thread - reminded me of some things - for me it depended on where & under what circumstances that the campfire was being lit ..

When backpacking I used a BIC on a shaved twig, maybe aided by white gas wipe from the stove. Car camping parafin starter sticks were used. At deer camp some chump always had a gadget like a torch that worked

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
650 for a fire starter? Nah, I’ll stick with the $1 Instafire packs i been using for a few years now.

510E6750-8583-4A7B-829A-4B57CF0A7765.jpeg

I have a few methods that I switch between.
Flint and steel, ferro rod with a magnesium rod too, and a good ole zippo.
Getting a spark is easy, tinder is always the hard part. I’m too impatient to make proper tinder.

Top Bottom