What's new

How do you soak your boar brush?

Shave 10: A Bowl Lather?!

Merkur 34C
Merkur Super Platinum (3)
Proraso White
Omega 10051

First of all a slight correction. Shave 9 was with Proraso white, not Cella. There's no way I could use that for 2 shaves in a row!

As for todays shave, I gave the bowl lathering topic a little thought and decided I need to try to let the kind of shave I want to dictate my methods and equipment, rather than the other way around.

View attachment 1033212

I decided to take both pills and it actually ended up being a half bowl, half face lather.

I soaked my brush for 2 or 3 minutes in the bowl as I filled the sink and got everything ready.

View attachment 1033215

It's fairly small, but good enough for my purposes. I still planned to keep most of the lather in the brush and to use the bowl more as a kind of lather generator, just to get things started, before moving on to my face to finish building. Last night, I considered using my hand for this part but figured there might be a bit more wastage, plus the bowl would be useful to keep the brush in between passes.

Another thing I've been thinking about is soap preservation. I want to get maximum lather with the least amount of soap, and face lathering seems to need a fairly heavy loading, at least for me.

I dribbled a little water on the soap, lifted the brush from the bowl, gave it a couple shakes and loaded for 5 to 10 seconds. It looked a little foamy so I loaded for another 5. I emptied the bowl and got the lather started in it, dipping the brush once. I stopped after what was maybe 30 seconds, certainly well under a minute.

View attachment 1033222

It probably looked a little less blurry in real life, but I don't wear my glasses for shaving so who knows?

It felt really, really nice as I finished building the lather on my face. It would easily have been shaveable after 10 seconds but I wanted to make sure I had slick, not thick so I carried on for a couple more minutes, dipping twice. The lather had a much lighter feel than usual, not airy as such, just kind of floaty.

I started the shave as always, WTG, right ear. Long, smooth, gentle strokes, very little to no pressure. I wasn't really thinking about angle too much, just shaving with feel. There was a bit of tugginess below the lower lip as I've had with this blade before, but it was comfortable enough. The lather was still nice and slick by the time I reached my neck and I shaved it without issue, then rinsed off in readiness for pass number 2.

View attachment 1033225

This was definitely better than my usual lathers at this stage of the shave, and I was looking forward to the second pass. WTG once again, comfort not closeness is my goal. Much smoother than the first pass, especially the lower lip area, and I used confident, smooth strokes from the lip to the edge of my chin.

The lather had started to dry out a little by the time I was onto my neck. I would normally have carried on regardless but a quick glance at the bowl and I thought, it's sitting right there, so I quickly lathered again, dipping one more time. It only took a couple of seconds.

I finished at the right ear, 2 inches from where I'd started, rinsed off and stopped. No touch ups today, a cold water splash, and once again I had an irritation free, no nick, no weeper shave.

There are few rough patches. By the right corner of my mouth, around the left jaw and just under the far right of my jaw below the ear. Of course, a little clean up could've taken care of that if I'd wanted so I'm not to worried. The shave was less close overall than the last one; this is maybe a little to do with the blade and a lot to do with my technique.

The half and half approach worked very well and the lather was really good. Perfect? Not a million miles away. I have no complaints about the brush.

View attachment 1033235
Nice combo. I used the Art of Shaving cream yesterday and did kind of a similar method, just more towards the bowl method. Did find today that my brush still smelled a little like the Olibanum and Pepper. I assume I might need to rinse my brush a little more.

So, my shave today was with Barrister and Mann Waves and the 10049 Pro Boar. I got ok results, but I did not load enough soap into my loading bowl twice, so it was only a so so shave. The brush did fine, it just drinks up the lather and water, so I need to make sure I load heavier.

Here is the brush after the soak:
Karatsu_TFAshaver6thBoar-1.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver6thBoar-2.JPG

Here is the brush after the two failed loadings, but three passes:
Karatsu_TFAshaver6thBoar-3.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver6thBoar-4.JPG

Here is the brush after rinse, shake out, and towel strop. It is breaking in just fine, and it has quickly become one of my favorite brushes passing the Omega S-brush, badger, and horse hair. Tomorrow I will give my shave stick a try and see how that all goes. Should be fun. Hope you all are getting some good shaves!

Attachments

• Karatsu_TFAshaver6thBoar-5.JPG
    Karatsu_TFAshaver6thBoar-5.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Karatsu_TFAshaver6thBoar-6.JPG
    Karatsu_TFAshaver6thBoar-6.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Shave 11: The Semogue 1438

DSCF1100.JPG

Merkur 34C
Merkur Super Platinum
Proraso White
Semogue 1438

First time out for the Semogue and I used the same half and half method that worked so well for yesterdays shave, soaking the brush while I filled the sink with body temperature water.

When I lifted the brush from the bowl after 2 or 3 minutes it was heavier with water than the Omega and when it finally stopped dripping I gave it 3 or 4 shakes to get most, but not all of the water out.

DSCF1110.JPG

I loaded from the tub for about 5 seconds and paused to collect a few of the wayward suds, then went back for a few seconds more. Less then 10 in total.

DSCF1111.JPG

I dumped the water from the bowl and in less than 30 seconds I had what looked like enough to finish off with a face lather. I didn't need to add any extra water. I'm glad I tried this half and half method last night, a full face lather might have been a little uncomfortable. It was still a little scratchy but not unbearable. Remember, this brush has had no breaking in other than an initial clean with dish soap, followed by a trial lather the day after and a further two 5 minute cold water soaks.

I dipped the brush just once as I lathered and within a few minutes I was good to go. Interestingly, the addition of the bowl makes the process quicker. As I cleaned off my lips in readiness to apply razor to face, I noticed the infamous piggy smell that's talked about so much. It's still lingering ever so slightly now, more than half an hour after the shave. Many wouldn't notice it, but I sure can. I swear us wet shavers must be some of the most OCD people on the planet, lol.

First pass, WTG as usual, a virtual repeat of last nights shave, maybe slightly smoother. Nothing eventful occured. That must be good.

On to pass 2.

DSCF1117.JPG

Plenty to work with, but I was careful not to over do the scrubbing with this brush just yet. I never do for the second pass, truth be told, but tonight it was really just light painting and slapping strokes. I didn't add any extra water.

WTG once again, smoother than the first pass, as expected but I felt like the blade was working a little more efficiently in the trickier areas, mostly under the jawline towards the ears. I had to re-lather my neck once again, which annoyed me slightly as it always does. It means I'm not getting something quite right. I'm sure I'll figure it out. I finished up, rinsed off and absolutely no clean up tonight, just in case there's a little irritation from the new brush. A cold water splash and done.

No irritatation, no nicks, no weepers. Not as close in the tricky areas as I anticipated. The jawline is a little rough and I still have that patch at the edge of my right jaw, about 2 inches below my ear. Following my growth pattern accurately definitely makes shaving closely more difficult, the angles are harder which makes a slip more likely. But it also makes it more comfortable and I'm sure the closeness will come with practice.

DSCF1120.JPG

I assume I might need to rinse my brush a little more.

I hold the brush loosely around the knot with my fingers and thumb forming a ring shape, then allow warm, but not hot running water to fill the brush and squeeze rhythmically. This gets all of the soap out of the base of the knot. There's a very good video of Michael Freedberg demonstrating this here:

I spend more time cleaning my brush than loading it, lol.

I hold the brush loosely around the knot with my fingers and thumb forming a ring shape, then allow warm, but not hot running water to fill the brush and squeeze rhythmically. This gets all of the soap out of the base of the knot. There's a very good video of Michael Freedberg demonstrating this here:

I spend more time cleaning my brush than loading it, lol.
Yeah, that is exactly how I do it as well as use my bowl to swirl against the texture surface. I spend more time rinsing/cleaning it out than loading, but that boar seems to be keeping a fair amount more of the scent from the soaps and creams it uses than my other natural brushes. So far no lack of performance though.

Shave 11: The Semogue 1438

View attachment 1033494

Merkur 34C
Merkur Super Platinum
Proraso White
Semogue 1438

First time out for the Semogue and I used the same half and half method that worked so well for yesterdays shave, soaking the brush while I filled the sink with body temperature water.

When I lifted the brush from the bowl after 2 or 3 minutes it was heavier with water than the Omega and when it finally stopped dripping I gave it 3 or 4 shakes to get most, but not all of the water out.

View attachment 1033501

I loaded from the tub for about 5 seconds and paused to collect a few of the wayward suds, then went back for a few seconds more. Less then 10 in total.

View attachment 1033502

I dumped the water from the bowl and in less than 30 seconds I had what looked like enough to finish off with a face lather. I didn't need to add any extra water. I'm glad I tried this half and half method last night, a full face lather might have been a little uncomfortable. It was still a little scratchy but not unbearable. Remember, this brush has had no breaking in other than an initial clean with dish soap, followed by a trial lather the day after and a further two 5 minute cold water soaks.

I dipped the brush just once as I lathered and within a few minutes I was good to go. Interestingly, the addition of the bowl makes the process quicker. As I cleaned off my lips in readiness to apply razor to face, I noticed the infamous piggy smell that's talked about so much. It's still lingering ever so slightly now, more than half an hour after the shave. Many wouldn't notice it, but I sure can. I swear us wet shavers must be some of the most OCD people on the planet, lol.

First pass, WTG as usual, a virtual repeat of last nights shave, maybe slightly smoother. Nothing eventful occured. That must be good.

On to pass 2.

View attachment 1033506

Plenty to work with, but I was careful not to over do the scrubbing with this brush just yet. I never do for the second pass, truth be told, but tonight it was really just light painting and slapping strokes. I didn't add any extra water.

WTG once again, smoother than the first pass, as expected but I felt like the blade was working a little more efficiently in the trickier areas, mostly under the jawline towards the ears. I had to re-lather my neck once again, which annoyed me slightly as it always does. It means I'm not getting something quite right. I'm sure I'll figure it out. I finished up, rinsed off and absolutely no clean up tonight, just in case there's a little irritation from the new brush. A cold water splash and done.

No irritatation, no nicks, no weepers. Not as close in the tricky areas as I anticipated. The jawline is a little rough and I still have that patch at the edge of my right jaw, about 2 inches below my ear. Following my growth pattern accurately definitely makes shaving closely more difficult, the angles are harder which makes a slip more likely. But it also makes it more comfortable and I'm sure the closeness will come with practice.

View attachment 1033515
@TinyT glad to hear that both brushes are working to your liking. The smell should go soon enough I assume, but my Cremo horse hair still has that animal smell, and that has been used for a few weeks. Maybe give it another quick cleaning/ soak with the dish soap? Glad it works well though for you.

Yeah, that is exactly how I do it as well as use my bowl to swirl against the texture surface. I spend more time rinsing/cleaning it out than loading, but that boar seems to be keeping a fair amount more of the scent from the soaps and creams it uses than my other natural brushes. So far no lack of performance though.

Maybe the absorbant nature of boar bristles causes them to hold on to the perfume. Not a bad thing, though.

Today was a success. For the first time, I was able to lather up decently with a boar brush and a shave stick. Hope to continue this on!

Nice video!

The breaking down of the bristles towards the centre of the brush you described is the ends splitting, much like human hair from washing. This is exactly what you want to happen. The more split ends, the softer the brush and the better it should perform. A boar brush will usually get better and better with use. If the bristles start to fall out, then the brush is deteriorating. How long this takes to happen will depend on the individual brush, the user and how well it's looked after. I see no reason why a boar brush can't be long lasting, but I guess we'll find out.

@TinyT Wes, the Omega 10051 is probably my favorite brush. I have purchased at least 8 over time for my own use and to gift to my friends as an easy brush to learn to use boars.

It disappoints me that you are unhappy with your 10051 :) . I do have a couple of suggestions both to ensure that a new boar is properly cleaned and that your 10051 can be recovered to a state of consistent excellence in use.

Both refer to the fact that boar bristles absorb water

1. For a new brush - It's always a good idea to simply rinse the boar bristles thoroughly under running hot tap water to clean out any debris and then simply to soak the brush in hot water for about 15 to 20 minutes before cleaning it with dish detergent or pet shampoo. This ensures that the bristles are already water-logged and won't absorb any of the detergent or shampoo

2. Over time, especially with hard tap water, it is possible that the bristles themselves have absorbed or are coated with some of the minerals and therefore don't absorb water any more. So, here's my suggestion to recover your brush - Soak it in distilled water. Exactly the same way as in all your pictures, but distilled water in that cup. Do this for 10 minutes, throw out all the water, gently wring out all the water from your brush, and repeat the process. If the bristles have indeed been affected by your hard tap water, then the distilled water soak will draw out all those minerals and the water will turn cloudy (relatively speaking ... it won't be as clear as before). Do this distilled water soak a few times and then wash it with detergent or do the diluted vinegar soak or whatever else your regular maintenance is.

I'm confident this procedure will help recover your 10051. The distilled water soak should in fact be performed on all natural hair brushes regularly, if you have hard tap water.

To the writer of this post, thank you greatly for the superb recommendations.

I had a Omega 80265 that I'd retired as I'd used quite a lot and was my favourite brush, a scrubby delight that could hold enough lather for 3-4 passes but for a while I couldn't get the brush to hold a lather. Tried shampooing it/cleaning it with vinegar and many other things but nothing seemed to work.

I read the post above and soaked the brush with the water from my dehumidifier, then gave it a shampoo and a comb and the brush is back to performing like it used to.

Thanks again @vsp!

So, for todays installment of how my Boar is working: Omega 10049 Pro Boar Seventh Use.

Soap: RazoRock Essential Oils of Lavender (my girlfriend's request)

So here are some photos of the brush shaken out before lathering with the RazoRock:
Karatsu_TFAshaverOmegaBoarSeventh-3.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaverOmegaBoarSeventh-4.JPG

Here are two photos of the brush after being loaded for about a minute:
Karatsu_TFAshaverOmegaBoarSeventh-5.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaverOmegaBoarSeventh-6.JPG

Here are two photos of the brush after a few minutes of face lathering:
Karatsu_TFAshaverOmegaBoarSeventh-7.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaverOmegaBoarSeventh-8.JPG

I found that this time the Omega drank up the lather more and I was able to get a three pass shave with a clean up, but the lather got thinner near the end. Here is what the brush looked like after all the passes and clean up:
Karatsu_TFAshaverOmegaBoarSeventh-9.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaverOmegaBoarSeventh-10.JPG

And finally the brush after it was cleaned out, shaken out, and stropped against a towel:
Karatsu_TFAshaverOmegaBoarSeventh-11.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaverOmegaBoarSeventh-12.JPG

The brush is getting softer still and i find that the shape of the knot is getting bigger and there is more surface area as the hairs split more, and more of them split. It is turning into a nice brush. I just need to load even more soap into it to get the lather I want out of a four pass shave (three with clean up) and I think I will be happy. Hope you all are getting great results with your boars. Tomorrow I think I will try the shave stick.

Shave 12

DSCF1128.JPG

Merkur 34C
Perma-Sharp (4)
Semogue 1438
Proraso White

The first thing I noticed today was that the Semogue holds a lot more water than the Omega. I loaded from the tub in the normal way and the lather that developed was much more foamy. This was after giving the brush 3 good shakes. I may not need to dribble the extra bit of water onto the puck, or, I might give the brush a squeeze before loading. I'm still using a bowl so adding a little more water is easy enough.

I dipped the brush once, bowl lathered for about a minute and started face lathering. The brush felt much less scratchy already, it should soften up quite quickly. The animal smell was hardly there either.

I dipped twice, finished lathering after a couple minutes and got started, right ear, WTG. This blade is much sharper than the Merkur, smoother too. I paid close attention to the pattern of my growth, going longer between blade rinses, enjoying the way the lather gathered under the slots. The razor cleaned of with pleasing ease after a gentle swirl in the sink. There was way less of the tuggy feeling beneath my lower lip and I started using slightly faster strokes. I like this blade. I found it more comfortable as I tackled the tricky parts beneath my jawline. The neck was easy. I rinsed off.

I could feel a few rough patches and the first pass was fairly uneven telling me that my angle was inconsistent. I think I'm also still treating the blades with a reputation for sharpness with a little too much respect, resulting in hesitancy.

I lathered up for pass 2 and it was thin and I mean thin. I don't mind thin for the second pass but this was too much for me. I went back to the tub and loaded again, back to the bowl for a few seconds and started over. Much better. By the time I'd done I was wondering why I don't do this more often. It didn't take long and I had a very nice lather, but somehow I feel a reluctance to go back to the tub, it's not just lazziness, more a case of I feel like I shouldn't need to. Same thing with re-lathering when the neck dries out. In any case, I had what was maybe the most comfortable second pass I've had. Smooth, easy, instinctive buffing, all WTG as precisely as possible.

After rinsing off I did a little clean up around the chin, rinsed again, dried off, cold water splash and patted dry again.

There were a few red spots around the left and right lower jaw and by the right corner of my mouth. These were not shave related I don't think. The winter normally gives me a few central heating related skin issues. Also, I think my skin is paying a small price for the lack of closeness afforded by the Merkur blade. My skin really benefits from a closer shave and this blade is way sharper and I have a much closer shave. The rough patch at the far right jaw beneath the ear was taken care of easily, and the rest of the jawline is much closer too. As with the Astra SP there are even a few areas around the jaw where it is almost BBS. I still don't quite understand this. I'm still doing only WTG passes and my stubble is hard, believe me.

I'll hang on to the Merkur blade though. I'm curious to see how it will perform in a more efficient razor.

This brush has only lost 1 bristle over these last 2 shaves.

DSCF1132.JPG

So Yesterday I went ahead and tried the Palmolive shave stick that has been sitting in my drawer of soaps with the Omega Boar 10049 Pro on it's 8th use.

Here is the brush soaked with water before the shake out:
Karatsu_TFAshaver8thOmegaBoar-1.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver8thOmegaBoar-2.JPG

Here is the brush after face lathering with the Palmolive shave stick. I just rubbed the stick on the face and then built the lather:
Karatsu_TFAshaver8thOmegaBoar-3.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver8thOmegaBoar-4.JPG

After my three pass shave though, the soap thinned out. Got through, but barely. I am also going no shave november now, a little late, but I didn't lather quite as much as normal. Here is the brush after the passes before cleaning it up:
Karatsu_TFAshaver8thOmegaBoar-5.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver8thOmegaBoar-6.JPG

And of course the brush after all was said and done:
Karatsu_TFAshaver8thOmegaBoar-7.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver8thOmegaBoar-8.JPG

Here is also a video of me using the shave stick and brush. I might have to do what @Timeclo does and load some soap into the brush to get the type of lather I like for shaving. I'll try that on a future shave.

Hope you all are getting some great shaves!

So Yesterday I went ahead and tried the Palmolive shave stick that has been sitting in my drawer of soaps with the Omega Boar 10049 Pro on it's 8th use.

Here is the brush soaked with water before the shake out:
View attachment 1034258View attachment 1034259

Here is the brush after face lathering with the Palmolive shave stick. I just rubbed the stick on the face and then built the lather:
View attachment 1034260View attachment 1034261

After my three pass shave though, the soap thinned out. Got through, but barely. I am also going no shave november now, a little late, but I didn't lather quite as much as normal. Here is the brush after the passes before cleaning it up:
View attachment 1034262View attachment 1034263

And of course the brush after all was said and done:
View attachment 1034264View attachment 1034265

Here is also a video of me using the shave stick and brush. I might have to do what @Timeclo does and load some soap into the brush to get the type of lather I like for shaving. I'll try that on a future shave.

Hope you all are getting some great shaves!
Yup, I find that 10-15 seconds of extra loading the stick onto the brush helps a lot. Great shave!

So today I used the Omega 10049 Pro Boar on it's 9th shave with the Clubman Pinaud Shave soap. It worked great. The brush produced enough lather for three passes and a cleanup. Loving the brush more and more.

Here is the brush after a soak and shake out:
Karatsu_TFAshaver9thOmegaBoar-1.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver9thOmegaBoar-2.JPG

Here is the Voluminous Lather I was able to create face lathering after a heavy load of the Clubman Pinaud Shave Soap:
Karatsu_TFAshaver9thOmegaBoar-3.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver9thOmegaBoar-4.JPG

Here is what the lather on the brush looked like after about a half hour and three passes and a clean up pass:
Karatsu_TFAshaver9thOmegaBoar-5.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver9thOmegaBoar-6.JPG

And Finally, here is the brush after being rinsed out thoroughly and shaken out and stropped on a towel:
Karatsu_TFAshaver9thOmegaBoar-7.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver9thOmegaBoar-8.JPG

Overall, the knot is breaking in great and I am supper happy with it. After rinsing more than normal I am finding that the knot isn't keeping nearly as much of the scent now. Hope you all are getting some amazing shaves!

Shave 13

index.png

For some, maybe. Not for me.

Merkur 34C
Perma-Sharp (5)
Semogue 1438
Proraso White

Considering my comments regarding winter skin, I was tempted to try a cold water shave but I was mindful of the advice to change just one thing at a time in refining the process. It's nicely scientific and, since I planned to change something else, body temperature water was used once more. The change was to use a little less water during the loading phase. I didn't dribble any on the surface of the soap and I made sure to shake out all the excess water from the brush.

It loaded easily, and I went at it for a good 20 to 25 seconds.

DSCF1142.JPG

This is a pretty heavy loading for me.

I got it started in the bowl and dipped the brush once. I spent a bit longer here too, maybe a full minute in total, perhaps even a touch longer.

It was worth the effort.

DSCF1147.JPG

I was not disappointed as I put brush to face. Smooth, unctuous, creamy. I've not enjoyed lathering as much as this so far. The brush, still a teeny bit scritchy at first, soon began to feel really soft and I took my time, dipping a further 2 or 3 times as I went. I must have spent almost 5 minutes gently, but deliberately, working the lather into my skin. It was glorious. In all honesty, this is how I'd expected my Omega brush to perform and had it done so, I probably wouldn't have started this thread.

The shave was entirely uneventful. That good. First pass, WTG, right ear, I used the same approach as last time, following the grain as precisely as possible, letting the lather bulge its way through the slots in the razor. I was already halfway through shaving my chin by the time I gave the razor its first rinse.

The lather on my neck was starting to dry out just a little, but no matter. I'll add more water at the face stage next time. I rinsed off.

DSCF1150.JPG

I'd left the brush standing on its base, face lather style, for the first pass. I didn't notice till I went back for the brush.

The second pass lather was nice, but in all honesty, by the time I was done, more soap wouldn't have been unwelcome and I thought I'd loaded heavy. A full 3 pass shave might have been a struggle but I'm only doing 2, so I don't mind all that much.

Pass 2, WTG and I immediately noticed that second pass slipperiness. Nice. As I was working towards the chin and lower lip (no tugging issues with this blade!) I realised that for the entire shave I'd been using an almost perfectly neutral angle. Highly effective, a little perilous. The rest of the pass was slightly more adrenaline fuelled, but went without a hitch. Riding the cap with a shallow angle gives a slightly more secure feeling and here, I was not always sure where the blade was. Kind of fun though, and I like living dangerously. (actually, that last part's not quite true. I'm probably more of a control freak. Shaving is about the riskiest thing I do, haha.)

I rinsed off, a touch of redness the same place as before, so a cold water shave is worth a try. Maybe I'll give the pre-shave cream another shot at some point, too. My skin was a little dry, as well. Probably partly weather/heating related but I think a slightly more hydrated lather could help with this. I'll try to add a bit more water next shave. No irritation, no nicks, no weepers. Not bad.

DSCF1154.JPG

Today was shave 10 with the Omega Boar. I think this will be my last post until I get to #15 or so. Here goes.

Here is the brush after a shake before loading on some Clubman Pinaud Shave Soap:
Karatsu_TFAshaver10thBoar-3.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver10thBoar-4.JPG

Here is the brush after a good loading on the puck of Clubman Pinaud Shave Soap:
Karatsu_TFAshaver10thBoar-5.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver10thBoar-6.JPG

Here is the brush after working the soap with water during the face lathering process. This is before the first pass (sorry they are a little blury):
Karatsu_TFAshaver10thBoar-7.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver10thBoar-8.JPG

Here is the brush after three passes and a clean up pass:
Karatsu_TFAshaver10thBoar-9.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver10thBoar-10.JPG

And Finally here is the brush all cleaned up, shaken out, and stropped on a towel:
Karatsu_TFAshaver10thBoar-11.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaver10thBoar-12.JPG

Overall the brush has become something I look forward to using every day. I am going to keep using it most likely for about 20 more days of shaving to get to 30 days and see how it feels as it breaks in even more. I have to say that the break in I did before the first use was very helpful. The brush has always felt really nice to use and has always been able to retain water and make a good lather. I still need to use it some more to get use to how much soap it needs, but for now it seems to be consistent enough that I won't bore the readers here on B&B with good ones, I'll just keep track and let you all know if anything starts to go funky. Thanks for all the help in getting this to be one of my favorite brushes.

Today was shave 10 with the Omega Boar. I think this will be my last post until I get to #15 or so. Here goes.

Here is the brush after a shake before loading on some Clubman Pinaud Shave Soap:
View attachment 1034651View attachment 1034652

Here is the brush after a good loading on the puck of Clubman Pinaud Shave Soap:
View attachment 1034653View attachment 1034654

Here is the brush after working the soap with water during the face lathering process. This is before the first pass (sorry they are a little blury):
View attachment 1034655View attachment 1034656

Here is the brush after three passes and a clean up pass:
View attachment 1034657View attachment 1034658

And Finally here is the brush all cleaned up, shaken out, and stropped on a towel:
View attachment 1034659View attachment 1034660

Overall the brush has become something I look forward to using every day. I am going to keep using it most likely for about 20 more days of shaving to get to 30 days and see how it feels as it breaks in even more. I have to say that the break in I did before the first use was very helpful. The brush has always felt really nice to use and has always been able to retain water and make a good lather. I still need to use it some more to get use to how much soap it needs, but for now it seems to be consistent enough that I won't bore the readers here on B&B with good ones, I'll just keep track and let you all know if anything starts to go funky. Thanks for all the help in getting this to be one of my favorite brushes.

Glad you've enjoyed breaking your brush in. It looks to be in really good shape, but I've gotta say, the sticker peeling off slowly, shave by shave, would bug the hell out of me, haha!

Thanks for pitching in, I'll keep on boring readers.

Glad you've enjoyed breaking your brush in. It looks to be in really good shape, but I've gotta say, the sticker peeling off slowly, shave by shave, would bug the hell out of me, haha!

Thanks for pitching in, I'll keep on boring readers.
I'll come back every now and then. Just fewer pictures probably. My plan is to use my Boar for 30 days and then see how it does compared to a bunch of my other brushes. So far today was a great success on the 11th shave. Whipped up a great lather with the Williams. Hope you are all getting great shaves!

Top Bottom