What's new

How do you rinse your razor?

Several of my razors arrived needing a through cleaning. Since I do not care for having to do that again, I rinse and wipe down with old t shirt.

Enough water in the sink for a swish. I have a well and pressure tank. Leaving the water running would be wasteful, and off and on causes tank to run. After shave I quick rinse mug, brush and razor with fresh water and towel dry.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
20180618_181002_crop_707x488[83843] (2).jpg
I have been using this plastic glade sandwich contain for holding water in my sink basin for a few months because I did not did not want to wait for the sink to fill up with water, I was concerned about bumping my razors against the steel painted sink and damaging my razor and sink was the main reasoning.
It might seem silly but it sure has some benefits I found out by protecting the razors & sink and also easy to wet the brush, wash the face, rinsing the razor when loaded with soapy stubble and many less times opening and closing the tap water valves to rinse the razor saving a little time and less wear on the tap valves.
When I cold water rinse my face after passes it seems to fill the smaller plastic basin and push out suds and hairs by over flowing out the top of container into the opened drain.
Clean up seems easier because when you have a normal full basin full of watery suds and stubble and when you finally pull the drain plug the soap scum seems to slowly coat the whole basin where as the small basin keeps it near the bottom.
After shaving I pour the water down the drain and use the plastic container to catch water when I turn my soap lathering bowl upside down.
I did do a final simple water usage test yesterday comparing the two ways and found that under normal filling and collecting water after rinsing razor and face it took approximately 2.5 gallons of water for a shave and with this plastic container it was about 1 gallon of water usage(60% less water usage)- it might be useful information when water is scarce in summer when water restriction use is in effect.
Where I live there is a mountain fed river that flows by and the water is pumped by our town to the house but it is still charged by amount of usage.(nothing is free other than the air we breath it seems.)
glade sandwich containeer.jpg

This is from another forum I contribute to.

Last edited:
Sink full. In relation to other water usage in the house, it hardly counts. And I wonder how much you really save by hitting the tap for each rinse. Hygiene is a non-issue, anything in the sink came from me to start with.

Run the tap when needed.

When using the filled sink method, the water gets polluted with shaved hairs however small and shaving cream.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I half fill the sink with hot water (about 3 litres), plus a small mug for soaking the brush. The water in the sink does my prep as well as the razor and brush rinses.

The continuous flow of water when emptying the sink, stops soap and hair collecting in the U bend, so I don't suffer with blockages.

I blast under the tab on the first few passes, and as the sink slowly fills I’ll swirl it. Then rinse proper when I’m through with the shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a small plastic container with water to rinse it between passes.

Same here, it's an old 4-cup round Rubbermaid plastic storage container -- I liked it enough that I looked for more online, but that size doesn't seem to be made anymore. A 5.2 cup square Betty Crocker plastic storage container would work too; they were 3 for $1 when I looked at the local Dollar Tree. The nice thing about a plastic container is that you can swish the razor around vigorously without worrying about damage if you hit the container.

At the end of the shave, I usually loosen the head and run some hot water to clear residual soap scum from the blade, then tighten the head, tap the ends of the head against my bath towel, then swipe the head each direction (away from the blade on that side) before putting the razor away.

Why is it unsanitary or unsavory to swish your razor in the sink? I shower and scrub my face before I apply a soap or cream, which is also soap. I’m sure most do this and possibly more before shaving. I don’t personally dip my razor in alcohol after shaving but I know many gents here do. Sounds clean to me.

I let the water run a little bit and rinse under the tap. I use a straight, and use thin lather, so very little water flow is required to easily rinse my blade.

I fill the sink up half way and swish. Because of the shape of the sink its about 1/3 the volume or less. When I'm done I wash out most of the soap out of the brush in the shaving water then rinse everything under hot water. I'd use a lot more water if I had to wash the brush under running water.

Top Bottom