What's new

How Do You Remove The Glue From Blades?

Yes sir I agree it truly is. Guilty as charged!

But we are willingly sacrificing memory, thinking and I'd suggest problem solving in exchange for the convince. Maybe we'll need AI to tell us what to do one day!
Maybe, but I also believe in using whatever tools you have available to solve a problem or answer a question. There is a wealth of information and knowledge stored in this site that’s only a few keystrokes away that is underutilized, and that’s a shame.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Somebody's probably solved this little problem but I'm not hip to their work.

How do you remove the glue? There's gotta be a better way.
I use one of the plastic pry bars from an iPod tool kit.
ipod tool kit.jpg

Those wax dots just drive me crazy!

I’ve posted this in a different thread but when removing candle wax from a candlestick I stumbled on the solution.

Simply boil some water in a tea kettle and pour the freshly boiled water over the wax dots. It’s simple and effective. The tea kettle spout makes pouring controllable with no hot water on your fingers.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have no idea what I do. 🤔 That probably means I don't have one fixed way of dealing with it.

If it's a negligible amount I'll probably ignore it. If its not a negligible amount, I'll reduce it until it is. I won't try to get the blade pristine. Not my style. As to what I use... old blade, fingernail, finger, loo roll, the wrapper... probably all of the above at some point. Whatever it takes to get it down to an ignorable level.

I'm generally of the opinion to leave the blades as they are or to run the razor with the blade in the head under hot water but I had a batch of Feather blades that had enough wax on them to make a candle, but the wax had become sticky so it was difficult to run off it under hot water as it would lead to the razor head getting stuck together, it was horrible.

My method to clean the wax off the blades might sound a bit extreme but does the job well, which is to dip cotton buds in nail polish remover and clean off the wax with the cotton tip.

Does the job everytime!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Some of the many previous discussions on this topic:

Just a hunch... you learned to research using a card catalog? Too Cool! Love this proficient self reliant use of the oft neglected search function, a dying art. We have google to thank.

I often use both the B&B search function, and used it before beginning this thread. I also use Google to search B&B often finding it does a much better job than the B&B search function.

However, I don't understand the post by @old_school, at least not the card catalog reference. I used a card catalog, too, of course, as a college student history major in my youth.

I also don't know how to make Google produce a list such as yours.

What about a Google search engine tutorial?

Happy shaves,

Jim

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Sometimes the search function can be overwhelming when you are looking for the answer to a specific question.

I often use both the B&B search function, and used it before beginning this thread. I also use Google to search B&B often finding it does a much better job than the B&B search function.

However, I don't understand the post by @old_school, at least not the card catalog reference. I used a card catalog, too, of course, as a college student history major in my youth.

I also don't know how to make Google produce a list such as yours.

What about a Google search engine tutorial?

Happy shaves,

Jim
The easiest way to search for something specific on this forum is to type the key words and then the forum name in a search engine. Example would be: wax glue spots on blades badgerandblade.com and then just copy and paste each appropriate thread into the one you’re responding to.

If you're already using a bit of oil on your threads when you do the ol' change-and-clean, a tiny drop on the wax spots will help. I have an ancient bottle of Smith's that's useless to me for anything else but it dissolves the goop to the point that the smearing on the razor comes off easier than soap residue.

With so many things in life to worry about, removing wax from razor blades has never been high on my list. It has never affected my shaves and seems to disappear on it’s own. It might be a problem for those heretics who insist on shaving in cold water though.

lasta

Blade Biter
We've had a multi-page discussion on how to open blade boxes. Now we are debating the best way to remove blade surface impurities. What's next?

when you are finished shaving, do you re-apply glue and put it back into the wrapper?

Everyone here deserves to be in the BOSC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom