What's new

How do you remove an old knot

I've got a couple old brushes I'd like to restore, and was wondering how do you remove the old knot. I know nothing, nothing, about how to restore a brush. Also do the new knots just push right in the old brush base and what is the best thing to secure them in with, epoxy, glue, etc..?

Use scissors to cut off the bristles
proxy.php

then us a drill and drill out the hole, there will be a shelf there i drill through that also
proxy.php

then use an epoxy and fill the handle up. Let that set and redrill in the size and depth you want the knot to be in. When that is done put some epoxy in the hole and push in the knot then let it set

I am basically too impatient and inept at using tools, and as such don't have any sort of workshop or any sort of collection of tools and yet I've completed restorations with a minimum of tools:

1. Use scissors to cut off old bristles as close to handle as possible ( Still got all fingers...check )
1a. Tape top of handle just incase you slip ( hand not attached to handle with tape....check )
2. Use pliers start pulling out as much of the old bristle as possible. Don't go for big chunks, go for small chunks. Start from the inside out ( Haven't jammed fingers in pliers...check )
3. Use knife/corkscrew/drill and drill bit to start drilling/digging out the middle of the knot. ( no holes in hand/leg/arm .....check )
4. Use pliers to keep pulling out bristles until you can't get any more out ( still got all fingers....check )
5. Use drill at an angle ( think cup and spoon ), to drill out the bottom of the know. Work slowly, drill a bit, plier out bristles, drill a bit more..... Make sure your angle isn't so great that it's hitting the top of the brush ( hard to explain , hopefully makes sense ) ( Still no holes in any part of the body ...check )
6. All bristles out ???? Use bigger drill bit just to clean up the hole ( Wow...still no holes in any part of my body ).
7. In it's simplest case...glue in new knot. Two part epoxy or marine glue most recommended. ( Haven't glued the knot to hand, forehead...check )
8.In a more complicated case you'll may need to do more work like drilling out the old shelf...build a new shelf...... will depend on the brush !

It's not the most economical way in terms of time of doing it but it can be done. Hope this helps :lol:

Last edited:
Has anyone used any type solvent to loosen the glue before removing the knot?

My wife restores dolls, and she made the offhand comment that they soak dolls heads with vinegar to make glue removal easier. So, I have a knot soaking in vinegar!

Has anyone used any type solvent to loosen the glue before removing the knot?

My wife restores dolls, and she made the offhand comment that they soak dolls heads with vinegar to make glue removal easier. So, I have a knot soaking in vinegar!

That's interesting Larry

I have an adament Ever Ready handle refusing to let go of the glue. Should try this.

Thanks for the tip

Vijay

It's a service we have provided for many years without the need for advertisement.

Simply contact us for more information.

We'll inspect the brush if supplied, supply a cost to remove the existing head & re-bristle. If agreed, voilà, as good as new ...

Always happy to help.

Regards,

Mark

GASP! Wow, that's good to hear. Where can we find more info, or is this case-by-case?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a couple old brushes I'd like to restore, and was wondering how do you remove the old knot. I know nothing, nothing, about how to restore a brush. Also do the new knots just push right in the old brush base and what is the best thing to secure them in with, epoxy, glue, etc..?

Excellent news from Simpsons...excellent.

One of the clearest posts on restoration can be found here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2172915#post2172915

Top Bottom