What's new

How do you refer to your girlfriend/boyfriend/significant other?

Whatever happened to going steady? Do people still do that? I couldn't date in today's time. I like women too much. I see young folks on dates now and all they do it tippity tapp tappity tapp tapaa tappa tapp on their phones! They look down the entire time and don't even talk to each other. It's crazy.

I refer to my girlfriend as "nonexistent"

proxy.php

:lol:

Partner, is how I refer to my wife more than half of the time. Do people automatically think that I am gay? I don't know. If they do, what does it matter? The details of my most important relationship aren't much of their business, are they?

Last edited:
i hate SWMBO with a passion. just makes me cringe.

Same here! A term that I find condescending and very much overused on this board.

An uncle of mine still introduces his wife as his "first wife." They have been married for 50+ years.

fiance' seems best in social situations. if you don't say anything people think you're married I find.

I'm rather surprised that with all these responses that (unless in my haste I missed it) nobody has come up with 'Companion'.
It signifies a special relationship without giving too much information.
How you address here directly is a different matter completely.

If I was in your position I'd probably just say wife. You're acting like it and it explains itself if you're asked.

Possible downside: If you happen to reside in a state that recognizes common law marriage, cohabiting for the prescribed period of time while holding yourselves out to be husband and wife just might render the point moot. :ohmy:

14 years together, with a house and two kids. We plan to get married next year, when the younger of those two can do flower girl duties, along with her older sister.

I use partner a lot, and see where it gets me. I know that some people jump to the wrong conclusion, but we usually straighten it out. If we don't I am not really fussed about it.

Sometimes I refer to her as my wife, depending on who I am speaking with and how much I feel like explaining. Sometimes I call her my girlfriend because that feels to me to be the word that best matches my feelings. And then sometimes I forget what word I used and I say "wife" and "girlfriend" in the same conversation. But then some people are surprised that I have both a wife and a girlfriend.

Possible downside: If you happen to reside in a state that recognizes common law marriage, cohabiting for the prescribed period of time while holding yourselves out to be husband and wife just might render the point moot. :ohmy:

A friend of mine purchased a ring for his GF at a shop in Scottsdale.
He put it on her finger and said "I now pronounce you Stuck with Me"
The shopkeeper gave a little snicker. Another friend elbowed Jeff and said "Uh, Jeff, you're on the reservation, that's legal"

Top Bottom