What's new

How do you pass - what's your technique?

My first pass is of course WTG, second pass is ATG only on my neck and rarely on my chicks, third and forth pass are XTG from ear to ear and then a fast clean up on my neck, chin and under my nose.

What I absolutely never do is going ATG on my chin and under my nose. My hair in these areas is soo thick and coarse combined with a sensitive skin, that if I try to shave ATG in those areas, I would irritate my skin and possible nick and/or cut myself, which is why I didn't bother even back when I was shaving with a cartridge razor, which I can shave with while taking a shower without the need to look myself in a mirror and that alone shows how problematic those areas are for me to not dare go ATG no matter what type of razor i'm using.

I shaved with cans and cartridges for years, then I changed for the traditional wet shave in May. For months I did the usual WTG, XTG and ATG... However I felt like I was stagnating.... Then three weeks ago I watched a video of Mantic59 doing the ATG second and XTG last. I tried it and since I get much better results, fewer to no nicks and very smooth results with ease. I'll stick with this slightly different routine.

WTG
Warm water rinse.
XTG right to left
Warm water rinse
XTG left to right.
Warm water rinse.
Occasionally a spot touch up.
I haven't had much luck with ATG so I generally avoid it.

I shaved with cans and cartridges for years, then I changed for the traditional wet shave in May. For months I did the usual WTG, XTG and ATG... However I felt like I was stagnating.... Then three weeks ago I watched a video of Mantic59 doing the ATG second and XTG last. I tried it and since I get much better results, fewer to no nicks and very smooth results with ease. I'll stick with this slightly different routine.
I will have to try this.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I used to do multiple passes and chase that BBS. But for the past 18 months or so, I just do one pass WTG and call it good. Just like grandpa. Not BBS, not usually close enough and far less irritation or prospect of ingrown hairs later on. Quicker in the morning too.

Edit: I should probably further elaborate that while I only do one proper pass, I do touch up with a little buffing here and there as I go, so many part of my face are getting more than just one swipe. I like @tamahagane 's concept of "eraser method"; I think I do something similar. Its just sort of intuitive. So while I do only do one pass, its really more of a super-pass.

Last edited:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
My pass technique?
  1. With the grain
  2. Against the grain
  3. Touch-up, but only if needed
Oh, yeah, and always on 3rd and long. But never on the right. Unless in a former British colony. Or Japan.

1024px-Laos_-_Traffic_Switchover_Point.svg.png

The comfortable DFS results I get from WTGx2, shaving everyday has been a recent development in my technique. BBS is attainable though realistically it is an every other day pursuit as needed.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
With, across, against, against buffing. Lather before the first three but not the fourth. No buffing needed when the blade is new, under a week.

Addendum to How do you pass - what's your technique? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-do-you-pass-whats-your-technique.613581/page-3#post-11451421 : since the vast majority of SE, DE razors do not have a pivot, I regulate the amount of pressure in one of the following ways:
  • Grab the razor with thumb, index fingers, initially resting on my pinky. During the shave I allow the end of the handle to change position. This allows the razor to bounce back if I apply too much pressure.
  • Squeeze the razor between index and middle finger. Depending on taste and experience, this makes riding the cap (handle on the back of the hand) or bar (handle on the palm) easier and the razor is less likely to fall, but it is also less comfortable to hold.
Note: I prefer heavy razors and my approaches work fine with a Rockwell 6S. Light razors jump off the skin and then hack back, causing cuts - for example Feather Popular. Looking back, the only light razors I found (temporarily) good were either ones with a pivoting head or shavettes. Then again for both kinds I had to press against the skin, the opposite of DEs.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
From I found that shaving with the Fatip piccolo or with yaqi slant with a nacet or GSB gives me a DFS or BBS with 2 passes ATG XTG that I don't need to do an ATG pass + with a cold water shave I get no irritation.

Head shave S-N, 2 pass, second pass being a clean up. I don't chase BBS because head.
Neck S-N (ATG) then XTG. Short and slow strokes as there is no race. Normally every other day.
Cold water shave and rinse.
DFS or close to it is normal result.

Top Bottom