What's new

How do you occupy your wait time?

Presuming that you do as Gillette once instructed us in its razors (and for all I know, still does), to wait about 2 minutes after applying your shave cream or soap before wielding your razor. I've been giving the lather about 2 minutes to soak in, and it works a treat. But --

What can you do for that 2 minutes, or even 3 if you have a heavier beard? I've been stepping into the bedroom and making my bed, which uses about a minute. And if the cat box needs cleaning, I scoop that out, which takes another 40 seconds or so. (My 2 furry thugs are usually in there "supervising" my shave anyway.) For me, standing there and watching my watch second hand crawl around the dial is pretty dull. What else? What do you do?

I've never heard this before. Seems to me the two minute wait would not be needed if doing a face lather. You're working the lather into the beard for a good two minutes, maybe more. Even when building a lather in a bowl and painting it on the face would result in two minutes or so of application.:)

I don’t wait. I bowl lather but then take a good amount of time to really work the lather into my beard which sort of amounts to face lathering. Also, if you apply pre-shave of any kind that probably eliminates the need to wait.

I've never heard this before. Seems to me the two minute wait would not be needed if doing a face lather. You're working the lather into the beard for a good two minutes, maybe more. Even when building a lather in a bowl and painting it on the face would result in two minutes or so of application.:)

+1 here.

I always prewet my face while I’m fiddling with getting my brush loaded, then I’m face lathering, then I’m shaving...no wait.

Well, I get the lather where I like it, then I apply it to the face and work it in some with the brush and sometimes with my fingers. I'm not counting that time, though I suppose I should. But 2 minutes lathering in the bowl or on the face? That's a lot of time.

Remember, too, that I'm a beard wearer; the beard is the neatly-trimmed Commander Riker type. So I have a lot less facial real estate that needs to be lathered than some of you. Cheeks, lower lip, and throat, and I'm done. If you have an entire bare face, lathering might take 2 minutes, but I have my soap or cream on and worked into my 5 basic face/throat areas in less time than that. Well, if I should count the actual application time, then I guess my bed making/litter scooping routine is usually enough.

I usually after face lathering just shave but have at times thought I'd let it soften things more by waiting in which case I peruse my shave den contemplating the next days shave or admiring razors or brushes or..........

I would think the suggested 2 minutes is in lieu of any other prep.
If you are prepping with a shower or hot towel I don't see any need to wait at all.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If you have an otherwise dry face, i.e. not coming from the shower, than yeah- lather & wait is a must, to avoid wire-bristle-damage.

If you're shower-to-shave, than your face is already been soaked ...

AA

2 minutes after lather first hits my face, I've finished 2 passes and into touch-up phase. Waiting only gives lather time to dry out.

I was waiting three minutes for a while, based on a shaving guide seen on B&B somewhere. The idea is that it's like a towel soak and shaving after showering: it's to allow the beard to absorb moisture and soften. I no longer do so, but it does seem to soften the beard.

Note that this doesn't work well with gels, or some canned foams, and I suspect it could cause some irrigation by having some stuff soaking that long. Also keep in mind that this is from the era of one pass shaving.

What did was other chores, all while counting "Thousand one, thousand two," to 180.

I face lather at a leisurely, self-indulgent, pace. Not only does that take more than two minutes, I can tell when the whiskers have softened enough and then I shave away.

usually i prep by face lathering with glycerin soap then light rinse, and regular shave lather after that.
which probably takes a minute or two.

glyce a.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My wait time is as long as it takes to hang my brush back on the stand.

I occupy that time, by hanging my brush back on the stand.

:p

Top Bottom