What's new

How do you listen to music?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That wire is sadness. You need 12 AWG x2 (biwiring).

"Need" huh. Sort of like needing an injector or needing my MMOC? One matters more than the other lol.

I cant remember what gauge it is and if it says on it my eyes arent good enough to see it crouching in the dark corner.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The camera can see better than I can. I thought it was 14g.

IMG_3066.JPG

This thread took me back to my college days. I had a class that was a physics credit called the Physics of Hi-Fi Stereo. I learned a heck of a lot and I still have my text books. I learned about ohms, S/N ratios, why recording levels matter and how to pick out a good system. I have one, but don't listen to much music on it anymore. My wife and I don't agree on music very often, so I generally spin CD's in the car when I'm not listening to NPR.

Yeah I know what you mean but I'm not sure I'd take advantage of it for two 6 foot runs. If I was sending more than ~120w/ch I'd have gone with better cabling.

You are sending kilowatts in transient peaks. But more importantly, new cable will make you feel better about life, the universe and everything.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My wife and I don't agree on music very often, so I generally spin CD's in the car when I'm not listening to NPR.

Car stereos was another thing.

Nine drivers from a single Alpine amp loaded down to .5ohm. One pair JVC ribbon tweeters, one pair 6", one pair 8" and one 18" Cerwin Vega Pro. 123db/spl in the cab of my pickup.

With that load on the amp it barely even got warm. I paid $970 for it in 1986 and I still have it. I started with it driving the sub, a Kenwood driving the tweeters, a Nakamichi on the 6" and an Altec Lansing on the 8"s. The Kenwood blew an output, the Nak blew an output and the Altec melted lol, so he just loaded it all on the Alpine.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You are sending kilowatts in transient peaks. But more importantly, new cable will make you feel better about life, the universe and everything.

Well yeah, you're likely right. It runs off its own dedicated 20 amp circuit and can trip it if I get too carried away.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You are sending kilowatts in transient peaks.

Wow, thats a surprising video. I never would have guessed at that kind of peak power but my B 'n K is very dynamic. Its rated I think, stock, at 105x5 continuous but I know it puts out a lot more than that.

abe237f07fc3c42b7d1b071b5e417ccf.png

Wow, thats a surprising video. I never would have guessed at that kind of peak power but my B 'n K is very dynamic. Its rated I think, stock, at 105x5 continuous but I know it puts out a lot more than that.

View attachment 964189

A defibrillator for heart failure resuscitation is basically your amp throwing a single large transient. A lot of joules (energy) goes through that speaker wire when you pump deep bass in EDM. Check this out.

You don't put out forest fires with a garden hose.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A defibrillator for heart failure resuscitation is basically your amp throwing a single large transient. A lot of joules (energy) goes through that speaker wire when you pump deep bass in EDM. Check this out.

You don't put out forest fires with a garden hose.

Most of the bass is sent to the sub. I cant remember where the crossover for it is set but I think its at 50Hz. The fronts dont get much low end. The subwoofer has its own internal amp and is on the other dedicated 20 amp line. It also has a good interconnect between it and the B 'n K. Nope I'm not moving it, its 110lbs and on spikes lol.

I dont understand electricity or electronics. I just

Top Bottom