What's new

How do you like your oatmeal?

I buy the generic quick-cook steel cut oats. To me it tastes almost like the real thing and takes about 7 minutes. I usually add turbinado sugar and raisins. Blueberries are even better. I plan to try some new recipes this winter as the usual gets boring after a while.

Before I add anything I set some aside for the dog. She loves it!

to 2 cups boiling water 1 cup old fashion oats at the 2 minute mark add 2 eggs and poach them for 3-4 minutes. pour into bowl and top with, cheese, bacon pieces, hot sauce, salt and pepper, both (red and black) , break the eggs and stir

to 2 cups boiling water 1 cup old fashion oats at the 2 minute mark add 2 eggs and poach them for 3-4 minutes. pour into bowl and top with, cheese, bacon pieces, hot sauce, salt and pepper, both (red and black) , break the eggs and stir

That sounds delicious! I will often cook a couple of egg whites with my oats, and add a tiny bit of coarse sea salt and a good shake of Mrs. Dash for seasoning. Your version sounds a lot better.

I eat oatmeal three times per week. Like one of the earlier posters, my favorite is Coach's Oats I purchased at Costco, but my location stopped carrying them. If they come back, I will stock up. These are cracked and toasted, so the texture and flavor is excellent. I tried Bob's Red Mill oats, but did not like the texture, I am currently using McCann's Irish oatmeal.

My recipe is 1-1/4 cup milk (the box calls for 1 cup water), 1/3 cup steel cut oats, 1 TBSP butter, and a some dried cranberries to provide sweetness. Because I use a little more liquid than the recipe on the box, it takes a little longer to cook down to the right consistency, but the texture is creamier.

When winter comes around again I will go back to slow-cooking my rolled oats in milk with a generous pinch of salt. Adding sliced banana (or apple, pear or whatever else is on hand), a pinch of cinnamon and a dash of cold milk makes for a great start to the day.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I like steel cut oats cooked in water with a generous pinch of salt, brought to a boil and then simmered for 30 minutes, stirred halfway through. I usually top it with a bit of honey and cinnamon. If we have some good berries on hand, those just might find their way in, too.

Steel Cut Oats, one half cup oats, one cup water, soak overnight covered, NUKE for 2:40 minutes, and it's done. Yes, I've also stood over the enameled pot, one half cup oats, two cups of water and simmered low stirring all the time for twenty minutes... but the latter is reserved for when I want to do all that work. The NUKE method works just fine.

I am going to have to try Coach's Oats.

Otherwise, for me, pretty much old-fashioned rolled oats, cooked on stove with water, but raisins, brown sugar and/or real maple syrup, and cold milk added when done in that order. A true comfort food for me and I truly love oatmeal. The brown sugar is the real deal comfort food because that is the way my Mother made them. But if the Good Lord made anything better than real maple syrup, "he kept it for hisself."

I have had steel cut, of course. Have meant to explore more. Did not feel particularly drawn to steel cut, though.

this time of year, I precook it or presoak it keep it in a masonjar the fridge, add plenty of milk in the morning with some blackberries and just pound it down, before heading out. Cooler weather, I like it hot with real maple syrup or cinnamon/ brown sugar, sometimes mash a banana in there.

Rolled oats with brown sugar or honey, half-and-half and some fruit (raisins, craisins, etc.) or some nuts.

For some reason, my local grocery store has 2# bags of Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled oats for 1/2 the price of any other Bob's Red Mill Oatmeal ($3.20 something per 2# bag), so I have been having that plus a banana or berries and a bucket of coffee every morning.

Slow cook a massive portion on Sundays and then split it up into 5 portions for the week. I throw real maple syrup or sugar on it with some whole milk. Great way to fill myself up through lunch.

I generally will add roasted walnuts, either apple or pear, and either raisins or craisins. No milk, just cook in water.

I am a big fan of steel cut oats...done to a creamy consistency. I soak my oats overnight in cold water, then in the morning I drain off the water, add fresh water, bring to a boil then turn off the heat, cover and let it cook in the residual heat for 20 minutes. Sometimes I add blueberries, but I enjoy just plain oatmeal. A perfect breakfast.
How do you like your oatmeal?

Have you tried it without cooking it? I use .25c of steel cut oats with .5c of milk and let sit overnight (in a ball glass container). Then I just pick it up and go in the morning (I'll usually add craisins). The little lady likes hers warm so she hits it in the microwave for a few seconds....very quick and easy.

I must be a little different. Steel cut oats. But, I boil the water and then add in just enough to cover the oats and let it sit for a couple of minutes while I finish cooking my eggs. Then, once the eggs are done, I'll add in a little more water so it's not the paste. I don't like the three-minute oats, since it's mush to me. I like a little texture and chew when I eat my oatmeal. Most days, it's eaten plain. However, on a medium carb day, I'll mix in a half cup of frozen berries before the first bit of water goes on.

With rolled oats I prefer the thick variety, boiled with water and a pat of butter for 5 minutes and steeped 5 minutes. I add a little milk, and usually a dollop of whole milk plain yogurt. Sometimes I add toasted, chopped pecans. I rarely add sweetner or fruit. I like the nutty taste of oatmeal by itself.

For steel-cut oats, I cook up a batch of 3 cups for an hour and keep in in the fridge. That's a week's worth. I scoop some of the gruel out, add milk, and heat it in the microwave. Barbaric, I know, but I like texture that comes from the longer cooking time and I don't have the patience to wait that long every morning.

I occasionally go on a muesli kick for a few weeks, raw rolled oats soaked overnight in plain yogurt, served with a chopped apple.

For steel-cut oats, I cook up a batch of 3 cups for an hour and keep in in the fridge. That's a week's worth. I scoop some of the gruel out, add milk, and heat it in the microwave. Barbaric, I know, but I like texture that comes from the longer cooking time and I don't have the patience to wait that long.

That's exactly what I do, although I microwave my dollop of oats each morning with egg whites instead of milk. Three cups of cooked oats will keep forever in a sealed container in the fridge, and makes for a quick and nutritious breakfast.

Top Bottom