What's new

How do you like your oatmeal?

I am a big fan of steel cut oats...done to a creamy consistency. I soak my oats overnight in cold water, then in the morning I drain off the water, add fresh water, bring to a boil then turn off the heat, cover and let it cook in the residual heat for 20 minutes. Sometimes I add blueberries, but I enjoy just plain oatmeal. A perfect breakfast.

I also like steel cut oats boiled for 30 minutes. Add blueberries, coconut oil, cinnamon, and honey.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Oatmeal: I like it plain. But mine is not steel cut. It's that stuff in the box.

I may try it your way: buy steel cut and boil the water.

The way you described them sounds about perfect to me. Oatmeal should be well cooked and have a bit of sweetness. Grits, on the other hand, should have salt and pepper, plus a bit of crumbled bacon.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I like my oats/porridge with brown sugar and a dash of milk after boiling/cooking them on the stove.

I'm currently working my way through a large bag of Coach's Oats from Costco. They are nice, sort of a hybrid cracked oat, between steel cut and instant oats. They cook like instant, but supposedly have the low glycemic index of steel cut. I eat thirty grams (cooked weight - about a tablespoon) of them every morning, with 100 grams of egg whites.

When I eventually run out of Coach's Oats, I may switch back to steel cut. But the Coach's Oats are good and tasty in their own right.

Never been a big fan of steel cut (gruel).

Rolled oats for me. Bob's Red Mill are very consistent bag to bag. Always decent for "store bought"

Half added to the cold water. Half added once water comes to a boil.

This method gives you both soft and chewy oats.

I also start with raisins, cranberries, (or other dried fruit if I have them), and nuts (walnuts or pecans) in the cold water.

REAL maple syrup finishes it off

SWMBO has been making instant oatmeal lately. YUCK.

But I smile and thank her for making breakfast :)

Last edited:
Never been a big fan of steel cut (gruel).

Rolled oats for me. Bob's Red Mill are very consistent bag to bag. Always decent for "store bought"

Half added to the cold water. Half added one water comes to a boil.

This method gives you both soft and chewy oats.

I also start with raisins, cranberries, (or other dried fruit if I have them), and nuts (walnuts or pecans) in the cold water.

SWMBO has been making instant oatmeal lately. YUCK.

But I smile and thank her for making breakfast :)

Smart man. [emoji106]

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Bob's Red Mill Oatmeal. Ready in about 6 minutes. Aside from the sea salt added to the water when the oats go in, I like to add two heaping teaspoons of chopped walnuts, a little butter, a dash of brown sugar, raisins, a generous amount of cinnamon and as much almond butter as I can fit on the teaspoon.

Fresh blueberries are a nice addition.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I am a big fan of steel cut oats...done to a creamy consistency. I soak my oats overnight in cold water, then in the morning I drain off the water, add fresh water, bring to a boil then turn off the heat, cover and let it cook in the residual heat for 20 minutes. Sometimes I add blueberries, but I enjoy just plain oatmeal. A perfect breakfast.
+1 I like them this way too, when can you come over?

As I write this post I am munching on steel cut oats cooked to perfection with blueberries. Yum. I often don't have time for breakfast so I take a small soup thermos of oatmeal to work and have it at my break. I have tried various kinds of oatmeal over the years -- quick oats, regular oatmeal, even the junk you buy in the tiny bags that are pre-digested mix with warm water and its ready to eat. In the least year of so I have become an ardent believer in steel cut oats. I just have to remember to soak some in a pot overnight! A large pot can be portioned in small containers and eaten over a period of days. Wonderful stuff. As my mother used to tell us on cold winter mornings before school as she scooped out a spoon full of oatmeal into our bowls, "It sticks to your ribs".

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I don't eat oatmeal very often but when I do it's 1/4 cup of quick oats with 1/2 cup of water cooked in the microwave for 1 minute. I'll add a pinch of salt, cinnamon and honey. My wife makes a really good gluten free blueberry muffin with the quick oats.

For hot oatmeal it's chunky peanut butter, honey, cream, and raisins.
Lately, we've been making cold overnight oats with milk, yogurt, and canned fruit.

I won't anything hot with a mushy texture, oatmeal/cooked cereals, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes/vegetables, meat loaf, endless list...

My oatmeal is steel cut oats with equal parts 'Original' soy milk, mixed and left in the fridge overnight. To eat add some raisins, honey and cinnamon, excellent!
dave

For cold I like soaked over night in almond milk or lactose free milk. Halfish cup rolled oats, 1 teaspoon ground flaxmeal, 1 teaspoon chia seeds, blue berries or strawberries and one pack of sweet-n-low

For hot super creamy. Two hand fulls of rolled oats in cold water bring to a boil and reduce stirring almost constantly. If it is not creamy enough add more water. I really hate clumpy hot oats. Top with butter one packet of sweet-n-low and cinnamon.

I use Quaker Oats Old Fashioned (not instant) oatmeal. I use one cup of oatmeal and one cup of mild. I add 3 teaspoons of peanut butter. I nuke it for 2 minutes. I then add maple syrup and a sliced banana.
I would also add raisins but being a diabetic I should not. Taste great.

Steel cut or Quaker’s 3-minute version if I don’t have time for real steel cut. Cream and maple syrup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom