What's new

How do you light your Perfecto shaped cigars?

How do you light your Perfecto shaped cigars?

• Snip the foot.

• Don’t snip the foot

• Art is King.

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
After smoking a few Cuaba Distinguidos perfectos (6⅓ x 52), I'm still intrigued by the shape (I understand that only the highest level rollers are used for this format).

I found this perfecto to be mild at first, then progressing to the half-way point, the smoke turned to light-medium in strength, then to medium towards the last third and stub. This cigar was packed with flavor (cider, coffee and spice), complexity, aroma and the greatest amount of smoke to start off with no harshness at all. In a few words…an awesome cigar and I believe the perfecto format is designed for this fact. :thumbsup:

Perfecto Cigars 101

proxy.php

"Shape is a fascinating thing when it comes to cigars, and how it affects flavor. A cigar is made with one wrapper leaf, one binder leaf, and a different number of filler leaves depending on the ring gauge required of the format. On a very thin cigar, like a Lancero or Petit Corona only a few filler leaves are required, perhaps 3-4 max. But on a larger format, like a Robusto, Toro, or especially the newer 56, 58 and 60 ring gauge cigars, a cigar maker will use up to 6 filler leaves or more, making these tobaccos much more dominant compared to the single wrapper and single binder leaves".

"With this concept in mind, it sheds a whole new light on the Perfecto format. In this case, the cigar is tapered on both ends with a slight bulge in the middle. Therefore, when you first light up a Perfecto you’ll taste primarily wrapper and binder with very little filler.

As the (foot [i.e., extended stem]), opens up, more and more filler tobaccos begin burning and lending their flavor and influence to the overall flavor of the cigar. Once all the filler tobaccos are burning, the relationship of these tobaccos has changed, bringing the fillers’ influences to the forefront, and the wrapper and binder act more as blending agents.

Of course, not 'every' Perfecto format will perform the same way, but rest assured (while smoking), a Perfecto shaped cigar will undoubtedly change throughout and hold your interest while you enjoy it".

Read More: http://newsletter.davidoffmadison.com/newsletter_20091103.html

Q. So, with that said, how do you light your Perfecto shaped cigars?
proxy.php

I, myself never snip the foot (i.e., extended stem). I found the draw could be a little bit tight at first, but please be patient. Just let the cigar burn, because the little stem will begin to open up and the draw will become easy (I haven’t had a lighting issue). Or in other words, your perfecto is lit 'perfectly’, you can begin the smoking process...thus creating a 'perfect' smoking experience.
proxy.php

proxy.php
“The cigar is the perfect complement to an elegant lifestyle” French Author George Sands

PS Since we’re talking about cigars, is it true that most people in Cuba use their teeth to snip their cigars vs. using a cutter
proxy.php

Last edited:
I always assumed that the smaller end was supposed to be easy to light like a cigarette. Meaning less time sucking gas, lighter fluid, sulfur, or burning wood through the cigar. Just light the tip, puff a few times and the cigar will usually burn evenly all the way down. perfecto!

Some of the other flared shapes are hard to get perfectly lit all the way around, turning it, puffing on it, turning it, wait... light the other side again... bah!

Never been to Cuba. But I cigar cutters are 'fancy' and usually expensive. I've seen people snip a cigar with scissors, pocket knives, teeth, even just peeled the cap off with a fingernail. Considering a large part of Cuba's population works in cigar manufacture, and many of them get a ton of free cigars and very little pay. I imagine biting open a cigar is quite popular there.
I know it's considered a "backwoods delicacy" here to chew on cigars... Not smoke it, just chew on the end until it falls apart and spit it out and keep gnawing on it like a beaver until it's gone or you're sick.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've never smoked a perfecto. I would light the tip though and let it burn I think. If it didn't catch id relight.

Never been to Cuba. But I cigar cutters are 'fancy' and usually expensive. I've seen people snip a cigar with scissors, pocket knives, teeth, even just peeled the cap off with a fingernail. Considering a large part of Cuba's population works in cigar manufacture, and many of them get a ton of free cigars and very little pay. I imagine biting open a cigar is quite popular there.

I imagine it's more common to use scissors/knife or break a little bit of the tip by hand...biting might be a bit tough to control, plus who wants to end up with debris in their mouth?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
With cigars that have a very small tapered foot like the Oliva Figurado or AF Hemingways I love lighting just the tip and watching the ring of fire spread over and up(down?) the foot. It's especially great when you tip that first inch of ash off and the tapered root is still holding strong in the ash.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It sounds like perfectos might be easier to light than some other cigars, no?
if you can just light the tip and it will continue to burn evenly up the cigar.

I sometimes have troubles with cigars burning evenly. I'll get a good initial light (or I think so anyway) but then one side will continue to burn while the other side of the cigar doesn't.

I snipped the end of a perfecto had no idea why it was shaped like that to be honest at the time it was handrolled but it did not have an opening. And i bite the end off a cigar on occasion when i don't have access to a cutter.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Gentleman:
Thanx for all of your replies and insight...'keep 'em' coming!
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Gentlemen", said the Count…as he entered…"will you return to the [smoking lounge]? You will find good cigars [in the humidor] on the centre table”. The Count of Monte Cristo, Chapter 35; La Mazzolata

Last edited:
oops i accidentally voted wrong, I voted snip the foot, but i meant to vote dont snip the foot.

But I have seen lots of guys snipping the foot, they say that the perfecto shape has a more often chance of getting of creating un even burn so they just snip it just in case to try and prevent uneven burning

With cigars that have a very small tapered foot like the Oliva Figurado or AF Hemingways I love lighting just the tip and watching the ring of fire spread over and up(down?) the foot. It's especially great when you tip that first inch of ash off and the tapered root is still holding strong in the ash.
This is the 2nd best answer to the original question. 1st place? With fire.

+1 on the method and ++++1 on Fuente Hemingways! Any size. They're all good.

Top Bottom