What's new

How do you lather your puck of soap?

Turn on hot water, brush my teeth. By then water is hot and soak brush in mug. Take shower. Give brush a shake and load off puck and finish in bowl. Have enough lather for 4 + passes. Put soap leftover in bowl, and rinse brush in cold water. The process takes longer with synthetic brush. Takes longer to load brush and then have to add water till reaching desired consistency. Will use synthetic on weekends.

Turn on hot water, brush my teeth. By then water is hot and soak brush in mug. Take shower. Give brush a shake and load off puck and finish in bowl. Have enough lather for 4 + passes. Put soap leftover in bowl, and rinse brush in cold water. The process takes longer with synthetic brush. Takes longer to load brush and then have to add water till reaching desired consistency. Will use synthetic on weekends.
So you use a fairly wet brush to make your lather.

I always use the puck like a shave stick and rub it around my damp face. I find it the least messy method. And maybe the most efficient use of the soap, maybe but I don't really care whether it is or not. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I always use the puck like a shave stick and rub it around my damp face. I find it the least messy method. And maybe the most efficient use of the soap, maybe but I don't really care whether it is or not. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I also think a shave stick is the most efficient method and least messy way to go. I would only use a shave stick but I sometimes use a bowl just to mix things up.

I scoop and bowl lather the softer soaps. Puck load harder soaps with a damp brush. Face lather. I also leave the jar open post shave for the forenoon or so.

I seem to prefer face or bowl lathering based on the brush. I recently bought a new Simpson and I ended up face lathering, especially with a stick or a cream. The Simpson just feels great. I chuckle a bit because I thought the gang here would frown upon the face lather. After all everyone posts cool pictures of their setups and not one has a face just bowls. Then I stumbled across a lot of posts on “do you face lather?” I realized I was not going to be put into shavers penalty box for poor shaving methodology and that I would be accepted by the shaving elite ( especially after I bought a vector). So my vote is dampen brush, load brush, face lather, use bowl as convenient backdrop for your shave of the day pictures.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
So for a puck, I simply load from the puck. Puck is usually in mug or other container. Take a wetted brush, that is not well shaken and even sometimes had water squeezed out and swirl around until the lather builds a bit. Refine the lather in the palm of my hand, get it like I want it, smear that on the face, rinse that hand and continue lathering with the brush. (when using a synthetic, the first bit of water I add comes from bending the knot over to get out the water that would otherwise release during the lathering process and remind me why natural hair is better than synthetic)

I very much don't like lather vessels other than what the soap came in. I don't like doing "the dishes" after a shave. I only want to have a brush to rinse hence no scuttle, lather bowl, etc for me.

Over time with the same soap you will learn just from looking at your load off the puck if you have enough soap and then if it needs more water etc. Mine always needs more water because I like to load on just about the driest wet brush I can get. Then I don't have to load soap forever to overcome a sloppy brush which shaves soap, but is also quicker. For me it's always easier to add more water to get the lather I want than adding soap to overcome water.

Many love the shave sticks. They are not comfortable to press against my face and then to I don't like building lather on my face. For me this almost always leads to some irritation. Any sticks I use are grated into a container and loaded that way. I shave daily so the stubble is long enough to shave, but from prior experience I know I mind sticks less when I have at least two days of growth to act as sandpaper against the stick. One days growth and I have too much skin catching on the stick.

swirl on soap to load brush, move to lather bowl, add water as needed.
I load my damp brush with soap from the puck. I then add a eyedropper full of water to a shaving bowl and start twirling the brush of soap into the bowl until it builds to a nice lather, I add a few drops of water if needed.

I‘ve changed recently. For most of my “wet shaving career” I loaded the brush then bowl lathered. More often than not these days, I load the brush then face lather. Creams are still lathered in a bowl.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I remove the puck from the mug, rub it on my wet face in the style of a shave stick, return the puck to the mug, and then face lather with a damp brush adding water as I go. That is the method that consistently works best for me with every soap, even those which I have difficulty lathering any other way.
Exactly this, probably 90% of the time. Great minds, and all that!

I only use soft soaps, or croaps.
I take 1/2 teaspoon (cirka) and smear it on the bottom of my bowl, add some water and let it sit for a few minutes while I take a shower.
Then I take a damp brush and start building up a nice lather, adding some water when needed.
This is what works best for me :)

I also like to rub my wet face with either a hard puck, shave stick, or cube product prior to building lather with a wet shaving brush that's been loaded for 20 seconds off from another soap that doesn't come out of the tin/container. Fool proof way to get a well cushioned thick lather.

I lather straight on the puck in its container and then face lather.

There is a soap producer down in Alabama that makes a puck that is oddly shaped. It is Green Mountain Soap Co. I really really like their soaps, but they come in a box and for that puck I will put it in my hand and lather it up and then apply it to my face.

I grate all my pucks down and make shave sticks. Time saver and for me it makes lathering much easier. Atleast so far technique has been exactly the same across the board for all my soaps and brushes. Mostly synthetics.

I think I am the only one who uses a quarter (U.S. quarter-dollar coin) to scoop out a half-marble-sized chunk of soap, put it in the bowl, soak the brush, shake it out 3 or 4 times, then lather vigorously in the bowl, and build up enough lather for 3 passes. Then I lather it on my face in between passes.

Top Bottom