What's new

How do you lather your puck of soap?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
So you lather on the puck?
I don't see how this is possible, but it may be a misunderstanding between "load" and "lather."

Most shavers load on the puck, although it's fine to put a chunk of soap in your bowl and go from there.

Building lather is when you take your loaded brush and work it on your face (or in your bowl), adding water when necessary, until you're happy with the lather. If you did that on the puck you would continue to load the brush while you built lather - making both a mess and enough lather to shave half the faces on your street.

I don't see how this is possible, but it may be a misunderstanding between "load" and "lather."

Most shavers load on the puck, although it's fine to put a chunk of soap in your bowl and go from there.

Building lather is when you take your loaded brush and work it on your face (or in your bowl), adding water when necessary, until you're happy with the lather. If you did that on the puck you would continue to load the brush while you built lather - making both a mess and enough lather to shave half the faces on your street.
Well explained sir…..

1673010869482.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I very much enjoy face lathering and for years I would load the barely damp brush from the puck for twenty seconds maximum, then transfer the thick soap paste to my face, and then face lather, repeatedly dipping the brush tips in water to add hydration as needed. I would not call this lathering on the puck though, as that suggests developing lather on the puck itself by adding water to it in the mug, over some time until it is ready for shaving. This would surely be very wasteful of product and difficult to control the soap to water ratio. To my mind that would be a totally incorrect lathering technique although it sounds as if some people do just that. Maybe I misunderstand what 'lathering on the puck' actually is; quite possible, I misunderstand a lot these days.

This is why it is recommended that you use a lather bowl.

I very much enjoy face lathering and for years I would load the barely damp brush from the puck for twenty seconds maximum, then transfer the thick soap paste to my face, and then face lather, repeatedly dipping the brush tips in water to add hydration as needed. I would not call this lathering on the puck though, as that suggests developing lather on the puck itself by adding water to it in the mug, over some time until it is ready for shaving. This would surely be very wasteful of product and difficult to control the soap to water ratio. To my mind that would be a totally incorrect lathering technique although it sounds as if some people do just that. Maybe I misunderstand what 'lathering on the puck' actually is; quite possible, I misunderstand a lot these days.
What you do is called "face lathering". When you develop lather on the puck, this is called "puck lathering".

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I load my brush on the puck and build my lather in a bowl adding water until I get the results I want.
The shave stick is a little different. I rub the stick on my face then whip up a lather. I take the brush to a bowl and finish building a lather as mentioned above. Then back to my face possibly dipping the brush to add more water.

I swirl a damp brush on the puck of soap and then take the the loaded brush to my face to build a lather, incrementally adding water until I get the desired consistency. This is the method that I use for 90% of my shaves.

I own 2 lather bowls that I use occasionally. One bowl is just a $0.99 black plastic salsa bowl from Walmart and the other is a Captains Choice ceramic lather bowl.

I like to use shave sticks as well. I just rub the shave stick all over my damp whiskers and then build a lather on my face with a damp brush.

I find that loading a wet brush on the puck and then taking it to a lather bowl to whip up the lather works the best for me.
How wet the brush should be depends on the soap.

Top Bottom