What's new

How do you lather your puck of soap?

When I first joined B&B I use to make my lather right on the puck. That is, I would whip up a nice lather right on top of the puck and then apply it with my brush to my face. Then I discovered that many guys here say using a lather bowl works better and waste less soap. That is, you load your brush on the soap and then take it to a wet bowl and finish whipping up the lather.

What method do you use to make lather with a soap puck?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I remove the puck from the mug, rub it on my wet face in the style of a shave stick, return the puck to the mug, and then face lather with a damp brush adding water as I go. That is the method that consistently works best for me with every soap, even those which I have difficulty lathering any other way.

I remove the puck from the mug, rub it on my wet face in the style of a shave stick, return the puck to the mug, and then face lather with a damp brush adding water as I go. That is the method that consistently works best for me with every soap, even those which I have difficulty lathering any other way.
So basically you use a shave stick. Shave sticks are very efficient. I use them the most.

Funny but I am the reverse. I started by bowl lathering for my first 9 months or so, and recently found that I prefer (and get a better shave from) a vigorous face lather. To me, it feels like I'm using/wasting less soap.

My beautiful Captain's Choice Aquamarine bowl is collecting dust.

I've only recently started doing this, and I am loving it. So I've got to agree with this.

While adding a bowl lathering step is more of a pain in the tukus, I prefer doing it that way for more consistent and abundant lather throughout the shave. Painting the lather on the face is nothing like making the lather on the face but the pros far outweigh the cons. It’s way easier for me to be consistent using a bowl to make lather.

Swap the bowl out for a scuttle and you get some nice warm lather during the cold months and a true luxury treatment.

😎

While adding a bowl lathering step is more of a pain in the tukus, I prefer doing it that way for more consistent and abundant lather throughout the shave. Painting the lather on the face is nothing like making the lather on the face but the pros far outweigh the cons. It’s way easier for me to be consistent using a bowl to make lather.

Swap the bowl out for a scuttle and you get some nice warm lather during the cold months.

😎
Realistically, it only equates to a 2-min difference:
30 sec loading
60 sec to bowl lather
30 sec to rinse the bowl

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use both methods of lathering. When I pre-shave to clean my whole face I just use my designated Cashmere 24mm synthetic brush and just load for 5-10 seconds from my bar of CeraVe hand bar soap(excellent soap) and it produces lots of lather and have been doing this for over 3 years now( I prefer this over a hot towel method by far.) A bar of CeraVe lasts about 8 months using this method also so it is very efficient and cost effective.
When it comes to my shaving lather I just peel or scoop from the virgin puck some into my lather bowl and enjoy this method for over 5 years now and it does a few things that I like, it keeps my original puck more pristine because I'm not adding water to it that could change the puck scent over time and it has worked well. I don't think I'm wasting any more soap bowl lathering then loading off the puck either, the fragrance of my soap is constant and enjoy this also. You can bloom any soap in a bowl also with a tiny amount this way.( I do not bloom my soaps other than MWF)
So either way works but I'm just particular because I bowl lathered when learning. Bowl lathering allows a person to fine tune his lather every time with less irritation to the face form the brush also.
Both ways work very well and results are very good also IMO.

When it comes to my shaving lather I just peel or scoop from the virgin puck some into my lather bowl and enjoy this method for over 5 years now and it does a few things that I like, it keeps my original puck more pristine because I'm not adding water to it that could change the puck scent over time and it has worked well. I don't think I'm wasting any more soap bowl lathering then loading off the puck either, the fragrance of my soap is constant and enjoy this also. You can bloom any soap in a bowl also with a tiny amount this way. (I do not bloom my soaps other than MWF)
This is interesting, it's like you came up with a 3rd option. Shaving a small amount of soap off the puck and lather it in your bowl. I guess at first it would be trial and error as to how much soap to shave off.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
pain in the tukus
I first heard that word in the movie "Barfly"

R.jpg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Realistically, it only equates to a 2-min difference:
30 sec loading
60 sec to bowl lather
30 sec to rinse the bowl
For me it's more like 18 seconds difference.

I have to load the brush either way, and that takes me 4-5 seconds.

I have to build the lather either on my face or in the scuttle - same amount of time. With the scuttle I do have to move the warm lather to my face (which must take a few seconds).

After the shave I clean the brush in the scuttle as the tap water pours into it, thus cleaning both at the same time. The scuttle also provides a very efficient place to soak a boar brush.

I think the time it takes to make lather either way is very close to being the same. For all practical purposes they are the same. Using a shave stick is probably the fastest way.

My question is, do you use a lather bowl, or do you lather right on the puck?

I load right on the puck and then build lather in a moss scuttle.

Once I got spoiled from the nice warm lather a scuttle provided I found it hard to do without ...

Top Bottom