What's new

How do you know the 'count' for how many times you've used a blade?

For my foil and single edge blades I actually keep a tally in dry erase marker on the corner of my mirror. For my Straights. Dead reckoning. I used to keep a dope book on them, but got out of the habit and now just refresh when they feel they need it.

For my foil and single edge blades I actually keep a tally in dry erase marker on the corner of my mirror. For my Straights. Dead reckoning. I used to keep a dope book on them, but got out of the habit and now just refresh when they feel they need it.

What is a "dope book"?

What is a "dope book"?
Data of Previous Engagement

or

Data On Personal Equipment
(both terms get used depending on who you talk to)

Mainly seen in long range precision shooting as a way to track number of rounds shot, windage and elevation adjustments for different bullet weights, temperature/barometric pressure adjustments, and a whole slew of other data.

The concept can really be applied to almost anything. Kind of like a journal or diary, just with a fancy name.

I have a seven day rotation of straights. I note the hone date for each razor in a notebook. If I want to know how many shaves are on an edge, I just count the weeks since the hone date.

When I first started with straights, I kept records on how often I shaved and basically all the stuff I keep in my virtual journal, except each razor had a page of when I sharpened it, used it or did anything to figure out how everything worked together. After I got too many razors to keep track of I quit doing that.

Data of Previous Engagement

or

Data On Personal Equipment
(both terms get used depending on who you talk to)

Mainly seen in long range precision shooting as a way to track number of rounds shot, windage and elevation adjustments for different bullet weights, temperature/barometric pressure adjustments, and a whole slew of other data.

The concept can really be applied to almost anything. Kind of like a journal or diary, just with a fancy name.

I have a spreadsheet that I use to track all my workflows. I'm totally going to rename it dope.xlsx

You Guys are organized! Never really thought about it...
DE: If it tugs, pitch it, get a new one
Straight razor: Tugs or Pulls, grab a different one, touch up or hone dull one when i get around to it.

I like the Dry Erase idea, Maybe I could actually keep up with it

link the dry erase board you ordered..wonder how it attaches to a bath room mirro

I don't count shaves. I look at the bevel. If it is clean after stropping, it does not need any maintenance. If there are still spots on the bevel after stropping, then it's time for a touchup.

I use 2, 20-sided die to count my DE shaves. I'm on shave 87 with my current blade. You could use the same system for straights.

Last edited:
The last time I did one I just used the same razor. Marked my calendar and voila! Shaved the same one for the duration. I havent shaved one till dull in a long time.

Top Bottom