What's new

How do you know if a razor is made out of pot metal? Does it matter?

Your best bet is to go stainless steel, for a modern razor. But, they are pricey.
I prefer vintage razors anyway. When I first started DE shaving, I used a 23C. I found a Slim Adjustable and Fat Boy Gillette offered more pleasurable shaves, hands down.

+1. For modern razors the short story is "pot metal" (ok value for $) or stainless steel (expensive).

The other option is vintage, often brass.

Pot metal - does it matter? To me the short answer is if you want a razor that lasts 10+ years then YES it does matter.

Apart from the quality and price difference, pot metal razors are also lighter than a stainless steel razor. I use a stainless steel razor everyday but on occasions which i used my EJ 89, it feel its a little too light for my comfort.

I wonder just how breakable/frangible/durable modern zamac actually is.

Has anyone torture-tested a Merkur? Drop test, etc?

I admit I'm not using my 34c since the vintage razors hit the shave shelf. But I don't believe dropping it once would make it shatter like ice.

AA

I've knocked my 34c off of the counter onto a linoleum floor and it survived unscathed. I'm not sure if it would have been worse if the floor was tile or marble.

The screw-post on my EJ89l did wear out after 3+ years of use. That said, Edwin Jagger--promptly, with apologies, and asking no questions about warranty--sent me a new razor head. So, the zamac lesson may be to purchase from a classy company. I appreciate the history, engineering, and durability of my 1955 Super Speed red tip, but for me the EJ provides a much superior shave. A modern-day trade-off, I guess.

Top Bottom