What's new

How do you keep track of blade usage?

At this point I use exclusively Feathers and I know how many shaves I'll get from each of my razors with them. I don't rotate the razors around except after I finish with a blade - to be honest, an R41 is actually all the razor I need and it is difficult to see myself using anything else. I get 4 shaves per feathers with that and I just keep track in my head.

With the exception of my Cobra Classic, I change blades after two shaves. So if I pick up a razor with a blade already in it, I know to dispose of the blade after using the razor. I'm sure it's wasteful to do it this way, but the expense is really minimal and I can't be bothered trying to keep track of each blade in each razor.

I don't keep track per say..... I shave monday, wednesday, friday and I change my blade on Tuesdays. I guess that makes it every four shaves but, I find I may need to change even sooner as by the 4th shave I feel a bit of pull. I also have very coarse beard growth so I burn through blades but they are cheap enough so I don't really mind.

Until I get tired of it. 3-4 times maybe then I chuck it. At the princely sum of about 0.9 per blade I really don't fret over how often I change them

Thanks for bringing this up. At first I didn't have a problem. Now I have 3-4 ( of my collection) all with different blades.

I usually keep a blade in about 3-4 razors at a time, so I just keep track of how many shaves each blade has on it in my head.
Typically, when a blade gets to 4 shaves, in the razor bin it goes.

Ok guys, I have the perfect solution!!!
What I do, is take the DE wrapper and put a small rip/tear in it for each time I use that blade. I shave every other day, and use a blade 4-5 times, so I can't replace the blade on the same day of the week.
I keep the wrapper in my shave bowl so I won't have to search for it or lose it.

Hope that one helps you guys.

I initially had created a program on my iPad using Bento ( which I also have on my MacBook) tracking everything. Most of the blades I use get changed after 2-3 shaves depending on the blade.

Many folks will recommend changing blades once they begin to tug. For me, that's 2-3 shaves.

I try to remember as best as I can. Usually I shoot for 5 shaves when using a Feather Pro. My razors are the Cobra Classic and the Artist club SS and DX. If I forget then they get binned and a new one goes in. Every time I change a blade I also do a quick scrubbing bubbles with a soft toothbrush.

i use a new blade every sunday and wednesday....so that gives me either 3 or 4 shaves per blade since i shave everyday.

My first thought, when you mentioned a die would be easily messed up (whether intentional or not) was a knitting row counter. Like these: http://www.yarn-store.com/row-counters.html

Or you could use simple cord/string/thread and beads and make one similar to this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/120122888/golf-score-counter-knitting-row-counter (very easy to make, if anyone wants to know how). You simply pull beads from one end of the string to the other.

Or, for those of you like Mick who have open blades, more of the handmade variety: http://www.etsy.com/listing/83986128/stitch-marker-swarovski-fire-opal?ref=usr_faveitems Obviously you wouldn't need so many numbers. I'd make this with some hoop earring findings I have (like these: http://www.etsy.com/listing/82304298/20-pcs-10-pairs-silver-hoops-earrings), and would just clip through each blade.

Right now I'm tracking razor, blade, soap and shave notes in the note ap on my phone. I figure I have about a year and a half of samples to use and I want to have a reference.

Jim

I'll grab one of my razors, try it, and if it doesn't tug or pull, I'll keep going. Tonight I went through a Gem and a ball end tech, both with awful blades, before I swapped the tech blade out for a new Polsilver. It's a very imprecise measure, but it seems to work for me.

Wow, i thought i was pretty creative with a die, but there are so many great ideas in here! Keep it up folks!

i use a new blade every sunday and wednesday....so that gives me either 3 or 4 shaves per blade since i shave everyday.
I'm the same but change Monday and Thursday. I got tired of counting the days and figured this system works well using two blades per week.

Top Bottom