What's new

How do you heal your skin after a bad shave?

Bad shaves happen once in a while, out of nowhere, for no apparent reason. Or you experiment with something new that does not go well.

I know only time fixes roughed up skin from a bad shave, but what do you do to help it along and sooth the pain? Let's hear what concoctions you use and how you care for your skin until the next shave.

I have a couple of good aftershave balms that I reserve for this purpose. I have some T&H samples and a small bottle of Nivea Sensitive ASB.

I use the same thing I reach for when I bump my bald head on a low hanging branch when mowing...hydrocortisone cream.

This is one of those cases where "less is more". Don;t do anything. Skin has an amazing ability to heal itself...the more stuff you put on, the less effective it becomes at doing its job. Leave it alone, but keep it clean...believe it or not, the best way is just plain water. Warm water followed by cold. You can put some Astringent (Witch Hazel to help it), but that's about it. Especially at night...keep it oil and "stuff"-free. Let it produce the oils it needs and heal itself.

Bad shave care is the same as a good shave...witch hazel and Nivea ASB. Only difference is that I'll wait 3 days instead of my normal 2 for the next shave.

If things have gone especially poorly, a little dab of Bag Balm helps tremendously. I reserve this treatment for really roughed up skin, which thankfully happens rarely these days.

Try Jasons Beard Therapy. It contains witch hazel and other goodies to help you heal. It's also effective on sunburn.

Dab of Styptic along with proraso (due to its aloe vera content) over the top seems to help for the little cuts.

The really bad ones (only happened once) is a cause for the wife to help and a great deal of entertainment for my son. Mainly stop and fix the bleeding with pressure and a skin coloured band aid.

warm water rise then alum block, let dry, then cold water rinse and witch hazel, let dry then "paul mitchell the conditioner" gently massage in and you are good to go!

Aloe vera gel, very soothing after a bad shave. Also has the pleasant cooling sensation after being applied.

Skin is an amazing organ and left to it's own devices it will heal itself just fine in most case. Usually I just splash on a little witch hazel on those rare occasions that I have a bad shave.

I have only had one shave that was that bad since I started DE shaving, but I just gave it some extra witch hazel after a few hours and waited a couple days before shaving again.

Other than that mild razor burn is the worst I have had... but that goes away in like 20 minutes or so.

*edit* Also, I rubbed an ice cube on my face... that felt nice.

Top Bottom