What's new

How do you guys deal with razor bumps/ingrown hairs

As I currently lie in bed with a face full of bumps, I'm wondering where did I go wrong. I'm well aware of products that combat this issue, but is there some sort of routine/ritual that you gentlemen perform to be rid of those bumps?

I currently use Bump Stopper, but I may not get this product again. I've been using it for the past 2 weeks, but one forgotten shave started my issues of bumps that have only worsen when I completely stopped shaving to recover. Idk if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just not for me.

As I currently lie in bed with a face full of bumps, I'm wondering where did I go wrong. I'm well aware of products that combat this issue, but is there some sort of routine/ritual that you gentlemen perform to be rid of those bumps?

I currently use Bump Stopper, but I may not get this product again. I've been using it for the past 2 weeks, but one forgotten shave started my issues of bumps that have only worsen when I completely stopped shaving to recover. Idk if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just not for me.
What's your hardware and software combo? With traditional shaving gear it should cut way down or disappear unless you're using improper technique.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

As I currently lie in bed with a face full of bumps, I'm wondering where did I go wrong.
Would you explain your shave routine so people can offer some advice. The ATG pass seems to be a problem for many with ingrowing hair but the razor and blade combination can play a part. A slick lather helps so pay attention to good preparation. A good shaving brush to exfoliate the skin and lift the hair is useful.
one forgotten shave started my issues of bumps that have only worsen when I completely stopped shaving to recover. Idk if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just not for me.
Are there any areas particularly prone to the problem?

I'm stating the obvious, but the way to deal with such problems is to avoid them in the first place. Many years back (when shaving with cartridges) I would often suffer from ingrowns on the neck where the collar of my shirt would rub. Changing my habits slightly to make only one pass on the neck helped me to improve the situation.

Telling us about your routine will perhaps allow us to provide more worthwhile advice, but generally cutting down on the number of passes one makes and being satisfied with a "good" shave as opposed to a "perfect" shave should help.

Avoiding it in the first place is what it should be, but for taking care ingrown that already happened, and keep happening, including me, I tried TendSkin from Amazon, but currently ordering Clubman Club Mend, and want to compare both. TendSkin works, it basically makes your skin dry and peeled, and reveals your ingrown hair, but I read that Club Mend also works faster, still waiting for the shipment from Amazon.

But my razor bumps n burns already wayyyy much better now compared to the first time shave, either with better preparation, or better skill, or just both.

When I get the occasional bumps on my neck, it's usually from too much pressure or going over a spot with not enough lather. Either way, I dab on pure Tea Tree oil which seems to help with the redness/swelling. Shave every other day and exfoliate with a shower scrubby/loofah on the non-shave days.

My problem area was also my neck (only one side of it, oddly enough).

Anyway ... the things that have helped me are:
1. Absolutely no pressure on the razor. None. If you think you're shaving without pressure on the razor, try to do even less pressure.
2. One pass (for most shaves) on the problem area. Occasionally I'll do one pass WTG and then an extremely light pass, not against the grain, but across the grain. It's not BBS, but I don't have bumps.
3. Thayer's Supermedicated after a cold water rinse.
4. A good quality alcohol based aftershave

I've had issues with razor bumps and ingrows on my neck since I started shaving. I can't do three passes, and I can only shave from the top down, and the bottom up. I use the "gillette slide" on my face and neck and it makes a huge difference. As long as I don't push it and try to do three passes, I don't have any issues.

I had issues with ingrown hairs about a year ago. Good prep (washing the face with glycerin soap daily, face scrub a couple times a week) including a well hydrated face, thorough washing with warm then cold water after, plus Thayers WH, and I haven't had any problems.

It would be helpful to know your routine and product mix to better diagnose and make suggestions for a solution.

Before I mapped my beard I was inadvertently going ATG on the first pass on a strip of whiskers where my face meets my neck at the jawline. I only realized this because I was getting multiple ingrowns in this area after almost every shave.

Once I mapped my beard I started doing a more conventional WTG/XTG/ATG (or just XTG/ATG, sometimes).

Around the same time I switched to cold water shaves, and began using an alcohol based aftershave.

I can't say with any certainly which of these changes did the trick, but I haven't had an ingrown since.

Hopefully you're able to sort it out as ingrowns are pretty terrible.

Also too many passes, too much pressure, too sharp of a blade, wrong technique are some causes.
The only time I had a problem with ingrowns, bumps etc., is when i tried a new type of cartridge razor. Went back to my DE/SE shaving and problems cleared up.

I haven't been shaving for too long, but I know that my first pass is N-S, then the next is XTG. I normally settle for two passes. I attempted ATG once as a third pass, but stopped because I already had a couple bumps that got nicked in the process.

I use a Tech with personna blues, currently using the Savon Barbe shaving soap, and some bump stopper.

I also think that my hair causes it (black male with curly hair), but idk if that is all.

Possible issue may include changing too much too soon as I have changed soaps a few times and done a cold water shave as well. My actual shaving has varied as well due to impatience, so I may have caused an issue with not being consistent.

I used to have lots of ingrown hair and bumps. Mainly on my neck. Shaving daily solved the problem for me. That goes in line with the Gillette research that says that shaving daily reduces the ingrown hair tremendously.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The first thing to do to manage ingrown hairs is to stop them from happening in the first place. Theres not a lot you can do after the fact other than letting them grow out.

With that said seeing as you're using a Tech, not sure if you have a pre or post war Tech, but I believe the pre war to be similar to the Gillette LC, which I own and no longer use because for me it isnt rigid enough and doesnt cut ATG on my neck, it pulls.

The post war Tech however, is rigid and I have absolutely zero issues shaving ATG with it, especially over the trouble spots on my neck.

I have, but havent yet used the Personna "blue" blade, but in my admittedly limited experience thus far, milder razors perform better with a sharper blade. My post war Tech and my Gillette Rocket both give me great effortless BBS shaves with Polsilver blades, and my Rocket has with Feather and Astra SP as well, but neither are as smooth.

If you have any blades that are considered sharper than average, try them and use swift, short and confident strokes with a well cushioned slippery lather.

The first thing to do to manage ingrown hairs is to stop them from happening in the first place. Theres not a lot you can do after the fact other than letting them grow out.

With that said seeing as you're using a Tech, not sure if you have a pre or post war Tech, but I believe the pre war to be similar to the Gillette LC, which I own and no longer use because for me it isnt rigid enough and doesnt cut ATG on my neck, it pulls.

The post war Tech however, is rigid and I have absolutely zero issues shaving ATG with it, especially over the trouble spots on my neck.

I have, but havent yet used the Personna "blue" blade, but in my admittedly limited experience thus far, milder razors perform better with a sharper blade. My post war Tech and my Gillette Rocket both give me great effortless BBS shaves with Polsilver blades, and my Rocket has with Feather and Astra SP as well, but neither are as smooth.

If you have any blades that are considered sharper than average, try them and use swift, short and confident strokes with a well cushioned slippery lather.
I have a post war Tech.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have a post war Tech.

Then yes, the only thing I can suggest as far as blade choice goes would be to try something sharper. Polsilver SI, Astra SP, Feather.

Ingrown hairs, which were a problem for me with a Mach 3, are generally caused by the blade lifting the hair from below the skin line and cutting it off inefficiently with splintered ends.

See this thread: Beard hairs under a scanning electron microscope

A sharper blade is more likely to cut cleanly.

I should have mentioned first off, that if your technique isnt sound yet, to work on that as well until you feel confident it is. If you are confident in your technique, yeah all I can suggest is a sharper blade...

My dermatologist recommended the following. It works pretty well for me - available on Amazon.
Mederma AG Advanced Dry Skin Therapy Facial Toner 6 oz

• proxy.php
Amazon.com : Mederma AG Advanced Dry Skin Therapy Facial Toner 6 oz : Glycolic Acid Toner : Beauty

Top Bottom