What's new

How do you get your movies?

Netflix, redbox, file sharing, your service provider? Just curious how you normally watch your movies. I really like bluray for picture & audio, but aside from buying a movie for 20-30 bucks, there aren't a lot of options for getting 1080/dts. Thoughts?

Last edited:
My wife is a streaming junkie, so we get them from on demand, netflix, hulu, amazon prime, and HBO togo. and I still find myself with nothing to watch occasionally.

Legion

Staff member
We have a thing here called Quickflix. Basically, you pay a monthly subscription, and they post you DVD's, regular or blue ray, then you post them back in a provided mailer. It is quite cost effective if you watch a lot of films like I do.

Films that have been out for a while, i just buy at the local shop. But netflix streaming/DVD is mostly the go to source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly Netflix streaming these days, with occasional forays in HBO GO and its ilk. Amazon Prime will be good when they finally come up with an Apple TV app.

I recently dropped our Netflix disc subscription; they weren't reliably sending me what I wanted in a timely manner. Combined with the fact that we're perfectly willing to wait until a new movie hits streaming or HBO/Showtime/etc., there was no reason to keep it. Yeah, the Blu-Ray video quality edges our streaming, though only barely. Without running them side by side, it's essentially indistinguishable. Physical media is on its last legs, anyway.

Netflix, redbox, file sharing, your service provider? Just curious how you normally watch your movies. I really like bluray for picture & audio, but aside from buying a movie for 20-30 bucks, there aren't a lot of options for getting 1080/dts. Thoughts?
I often use Redbox for new releases to figure out if I want to own the film. Blu-rays don't cost nearly as much as you seem to think. Most prices fall to $10 or less within a year if you watch for sales. I also have Amazon prime so I do some streaming.

For those of you use both Netflix and Amazon Prime to stream movies, how does Amazon Prime's selection compare to Netflix's? Has anyone tried Redbox Instant?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I either wait till they are available "on demand" or on HBO.

But since I have DirecTV with no home internet I'll have to wait till they are on HBO now.

I often use Redbox for new releases to figure out if I want to own the film. Blu-rays don't cost nearly as much as you seem to think. Most prices fall to $10 or less within a year if you watch for sales. I also have Amazon prime so I do some streaming.

You are right, they will often go on sale for $10-15 if you watch, just not for a while after they are released. Something about owning physical movies though, I dont tend to rewatch movies over and over. I think the last one I purchased with The Worlds Fastest Indian, and havent watched it in years (though a good movie if you havent seen it).

Last edited:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, iTunes through Apple TV, other sources through Apple TV. Occasionally the library - the have a surprisingly large DVD collection. Sometimes Redbox.

I also have some Movies that were purchased that were converted to digital.

Can a Bluray be converted to digital without losing quality? Guessing it would be a huge file...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php

proxy.php
"A film is never really good unless the camera is an eye in the head of a poet". Orson Welles

I mostly stream Netflix. I also get DVD's from netflix. Then there is Comcast on demand, and streampix. HBO, showtime, cinemax, stars, and TMC. I always find something to watch. I looked into Hulu Plus but they did not have all the seasons of some shows I wanted to see only the last 2-3 seasons. Amazon prime had mostly the same stuff I was already getting from Netflix.

Top Bottom