What's new

How do you get rid of dark staining?

proxy.php

How would you get rid of the dark color on this razor? Is this just on the surface and something I can polish out or do I need to go at it with sandpaper?

Using a metal polish and some good elbow grease will clean it up a bit. From experience though, you may have to sand to get that off. I usually run it thru greaseless, so I really dont know how much sanding you will have to do. If you are not happy with the way it turns out after you try and remove it, Feel free to send her over and i'd be glad to run it thru the greaseless and polish it for ya, NO CHARGE:thumbup1:

Greaseless is an abrasive compound that you put on a buffing wheel thats attached to a buffer. Its like sandpaper but on a wheel that spins way faster than your hand could ever move. You can progress from an abrasive 80 grit compound up to 600 grit compound. By then all the stains and other blemishes should be gone,. Then you spend a litte time with diffrent wheels loaded with rouges, softer less abravise materials. You also progress thru diffrent abrasives from coarse to fine. Then a few hand polishes and the end result is a shiny nice looking razor.

edit: here is a video from Undreams cool restore series. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0huv9ON9_I

starting with this vid, he shows the greaselss process.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Think I will give the polish and maybe sanding a go this weekend and see how it looks. Going to send it off anyway for new scales but would like to at least make an attempt to work on it a little (only way to learn)

For sure man! thats the only way to learn! Ill send you some acrylic if you like. That way you can go for it and do the whole thing yourself! Its fun man, Its actually addicting lol. Im here to help, you got my email, any questions at all, let me know!

There are some that would say that such an even patina on that blade face is quite attractive but I'll shutup now :blush:

I totally agree! I've done some where I've left patina on the face of the blade but cleaned up everything else. or cleaned evertthing up but the tang. I for one am a fan of a lil patina, it gives the blade character!! It really is up to the owner though, this one has a nice even patina tho. It looks nice.

There are some that would say that such an even patina on that blade face is quite attractive but I'll shutup now :blush:
O no, we won't stay silent.
We must all rise & tell the world that a hard working old blade has earned his patina!

MORE PATINA TO THE PEOPLE!!

I would leave it just as it is. Whatever forms that kind of patina, and I have this suspicion that it is exposure to weak organic acids, it seems to work like gun bluing and it is pretty.

Go at it with buffers and it will end up looking like every other overly shiny ginzu knife razor out there. Next thing you know you will be using it to examine your penny collection and forget what it is for.

There, I said it and I feel better now. :001_rolle

Last edited:
I would leave it just as it is. Whatever forms that kind of patina, and I have this suspicion that is is exposure to weak organic acids, it seems to work like gun bluing and it is pretty.

Go at it with buffers and it will end up looking like every other overly shiny ginzu knife razor out there. Next thing you know you will be using it to examine your penny collection and forget what it is for.

There, I said it and I feel better now. :001_rolle
I could have said it myself :yesnod:

Here is a couple of razors I own, nearly identical.
One has it's original patina, the other one I had to restore, since it had rust & looked all kinds of nasty.
The patina one looks way better IMO.
proxy.php

To each his own & after all it's the OP's razor & in a free country you are free to do whatever you wish to do with it.
But, we are on the internet & one of the main purposes of the internet is to force your opinions on someone who didn't ask for them in the first place :biggrin:

Top Bottom