What's new

how do you finish on a coticule?

I've been experimenting with how I finish a razor with a coticule. I prefer not to use synthetics in my progression. I'll use a jnat to bridge the gaps between bevel set and finish, or go straight to my coticule after bevel set.

When I finish with a coticule, I've tried several methods. Plain water only, under running water til it gets sticky, cloudy water (leaving a little slurry). But lately, I'm finding that a lubrication (water with Dawn soap) aerated on the stone provides a really nice finish. It seems the lubrication reduces friction, polishes the edge more, and results in a sharper edge. I don't have before/after pics to share, but under a loupe, the difference is noticible.

I don't know exactly how this translates to a more refined apex, but the bevel/edge appears more refined. This leads me to believe the apex is as well, and HHTs/shaves seem to confirm my suspicions.

So I ask, how do you finish with a coticule? Have you experimented with lubrication? What were your results like?

I normally use a Chosera 1K to set the bevel then a set of dilutions with slurry to plain water. I’ve tried oil and under running water. I hate the under running water method, it just doesn’t feel right to me. Oil was ok but didn’t notice any real improvement. Dish soap and water is my least favorite way to finish on any stone. Just don’t like the feel or lack of feel when using it.

Interesting! I like the feel of the reduced friction with water and dawn. The solution rides up the face of the blade effortlessly, and I get a real sense of polishing with this method. Maybe it’s all in my head. Thanks for the response Wid.

I’ve tried the Dawn and water with my Arkansas stones too. It’s probably just me, doesn’t feel good to me.

I love ballistol and or oil to finish on my coticule. Under running water works but using oil gives me my best edge. I have a coticule I would call a prefinisber as well and oil makes a huge difference on it (however my other coticule finishes better so the prefinishing coticule is only used with water and slurry now days whenever it is used).

I've been experimenting with how I finish a razor with a coticule. I prefer not to use synthetics in my progression. I'll use a jnat to bridge the gaps between bevel set and finish, or go straight to my coticule after bevel set.

When I finish with a coticule, I've tried several methods. Plain water only, under running water til it gets sticky, cloudy water (leaving a little slurry). But lately, I'm finding that a lubrication (water with Dawn soap) aerated on the stone provides a really nice finish. It seems the lubrication reduces friction, polishes the edge more, and results in a sharper edge. I don't have before/after pics to share, but under a loupe, the difference is noticible.

I don't know exactly how this translates to a more refined apex, but the bevel/edge appears more refined. This leads me to believe the apex is as well, and HHTs/shaves seem to confirm my suspicions.

So I ask, how do you finish with a coticule? Have you experimented with lubrication? What were your results like?
I've had good luck with lather on really hard ones.

Reactions: Wid
I do some laps on plain (I actually typed "plane" first lol) water until the blade feel tells me to move onto a trickle under the faucet for some laps. I'll bump up the trickle a notch and do maybe 20 more light laps at most. This is coming from a synthetic 12k though.

I've tried dawn and I did notice a slight bump in keenness but having slippery fingers for me was too much of a liability lol. Maybe one of these days I'll play around with oil or glycerin, but I really don't feel like a bump in keenness is needed right now. I like where I'm at.

Oil can work well on a coti and many were originally sold under the moniker of "Belgian Oilstone" and didn't come with slurry stones. Glycerine can be a good alternative, I mix it with water and isopropyl. There was someone on the forum using a polymer based car cleaner. I think as long as a honing liquid isn't too acidic/alkaline/high solvent content/etc one is fairly free to experiment.

Oil can work well on a coti and many were originally sold under the moniker of "Belgian Oilstone" and didn't come with slurry stones. Glycerine can be a good alternative, I mix it with water and isopropyl. There was someone on the forum using a polymer based car cleaner. I think as long as a honing liquid isn't too acidic/alkaline/high solvent content/etc one is fairly free to experiment.
ONR works grate:) No mess.

I have a 6x1 inch coti, fits nicely in my travel bag
8416C221-0AE8-4873-867F-76EC42292AE9.jpeg

I hold it in my palm and hone under running water.
It’s an odd sensation. At first I hear a shhhh sound and the razor slides smoothly on the stone then after 30, 50, 100 laps whatever the edge suddenly brightens and it begins to really stick to the stone. I increase the water flow and keep going until the razor glues to the stone and it absolutely won’t do any more laps. Strop 40 on linen and 60 on leather. Great edge.

Usually, water, or trace slurry.
Adding lubrication, like soaps, oil, etc, emulates a lighter touch. I don't get a 'bump' from using those products so I guess my touch is light enough. To me, it's just another way to do something I am already doing.
Oil/slurry isn't good for me, don't want the oil creeping into my stone either - yes, Cotis can absorb oil sometimes.
Soap/water on a Coti never did anything for me either, so it's a wash. Pun intended. Same for glycerine/water; for me, all of that is just a complication that doesn't get me anywhere.

The way I use COTICULE.
Thank you for sharing.
It seems like you have a really good coticule there. It is really nice to see how simple it really can be.
There is probably even more potential in that stone if you did some more work with just water, but if the shave is good that is all that matters. I read your post at SRP. I really did not want to poke my nose into that discussion. It is hard to argue with so called professionals:)

Thank you for sharing.
It seems like you have a really good coticule there. It is really nice to see how simple it really can be.
There is probably even more potential in that stone if you did some more work with just water, but if the shave is good that is all that matters. I read your post at SRP. I really did not want to poke my nose into that discussion. It is hard to argue with so called professionals:)
At present, I have three COTICULEs in hand. I am used to using thin and misty slurry at the end. All of them can achieve the HHT I want and pass the toilet paper cutting test. Sometimes it stops when the shortest "burr" appears. It is best to deal with the edge, thank you.

01233.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JPO
Top Bottom