What's new

How do you feel about pipes with a filter system?

Don't care for them. Had a couple of Brigham pipes early on. Lot to fool with. Tried leaving the filters out but the draw wasn't correct. A few Dunhill pipes came with the condenser but I don't use it.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My two cents—the filter you use matters a lot, and I have some filter pipes that I spoke with filters.

The paper 6mm filters are not great, but the savinelli balsa ones are fine.

For 9mm filters, the best are the Natur meerschaum filters. Second best are the savinelli balsas. Below those are the cardboard tubes filled with charcoal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
That Vauen includes a sample “Dr. Perl” carbon filter. I’ll try it to get rid of it, not like it, and then install the adapter.

The unusual offset airway nearly forces you to pull the stem after every smoke ... almost like an inducement to keep using their filters.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Don't care for them. Had a couple of Brigham pipes early on. Lot to fool with. Tried leaving the filters out but the draw wasn't correct. A few Dunhill pipes came with the condenser but I don't use it.

You have hit the conundrum. Draw velocity matters, at least to those of us with a lighter draw technique. It’s why I love my old unfiltered Stanwells so: their straight arrow bores just get out of the way.

A lot of 6mm ones I can smoke wide open. Cobs and the occasional Grabow can be worked. But on some 6s, the filter bore does indeed impact the draw, and only an adapter will tighten it up. And with a 9 wide open, it’s like having a second bowl hiding in there.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I tried that new Vauen out with the included Dr. Perl. With a reference tobacco I’ve been smoking for five decades and know inside out. Not bad at all. Faultless draw. No loss of flavor, on a blend that is mild and can wander off in a bad pipe. Just to play with it, I pulled it hard towards the end to see what would happen. No nasties to speak of. Just a tasty, clean smoke.

Color me surprised. This, from an unabashed life-long filterphobe.

I have the adapter and will be using it, but might try a couple more of these Vauen filters first. A new trick for an old dog.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I’m bumping this with a small PSA. I don’t use filters, but my son does. So I pay more attention than I used to.

I noticed a little apology note in recent Savinelli boxes about their balsa filters, and they included an adapter in lieu of the starter strip of balsas they normally pack.

Apparently the wood is sourced from South America, and the flu has halted all imports of it.

So Savinelli balsa filters are going to be scarce for a while.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I’m bumping this with a small PSA. I don’t use filters, but my son does. So I pay more attention than I used to.

I noticed a little apology note in recent Savinelli boxes about their balsa filters, and they included an adapter in lieu of the starter strip of balsas they normally pack.

Apparently the wood is sourced from South America, and the flu has halted all imports of it.

Makes sense as to what I’ve been seeing them as out of stock of late.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

I know some folks get balsa sheets from the hobby/craft store and cut them into the triangular shape and the right length. Could be an option during this shortage.

Top Bottom