What's new

How do you drink your Espresso?

Probably the nicest expresso place I ever tried when I was in Italy was in Bologna. Unlike most places that just make expresso from the one blend they stock, this place had a dozen or more coffees to choose from. You pick, and then they grind and make the expresso. On the counter they had every kind of sweetener you could imagine - multiple kinds of sugars, honey, agave syrup, simple syrup, and another one or two I can't remember. I'm guessing a whole lot of their customers use sweetener in their expresso.

For me - double, no stirring, no sweetener, consumed in 3-4 sips over a period of a couple minutes, as soon as it's comfortable to drink.

Last edited:
Macchiato, one spoon of sugar. Down in 3 sips. Perhaps with a small glass of water to cleanse the palate between sips. It is the perfect drink for me. Yes, the experience is over in 5 minutes but any sip of a 20-oz Starbucks latte is inferior.

Macchiato, one spoon of sugar. Down in 3 sips. Perhaps with a small glass of water to cleanse the palate between sips. It is the perfect drink for me. Yes, the experience is over in 5 minutes but any sip of a 20-oz Starbucks latte is inferior.

Ah ... the place I mentioned in my post above - the great expresso shop I visited in Bologna, served a small glass of mineral water (with gas, i.e., bubbly) with their expressos. I found several cafes (coffee bars that is) that also served fizzy water with expresso.

I want to try espresso pulled into a frozen cup like the Australian guy from the Barista World Championships. I've heard lots of good things about it on HB, but I need an espresso machine to try it out. The blend and the shot have to be prepared pretty perfectly though. Anyone want to lend me a machine to experiment with?

Today, with mini marshmallows!

$espresso-marshmallows-R0010933.jpg

Don't worry. They were only supermarket blend beans.

Top Bottom