What's new

How do you do it? Shave everyday...

Do you guys shave everyday even when feeling ill?

If so, how do you have the strength or even concentrate?
I recall I shaved every 48 hours (my usual routine) even when I had the flu/bacterial sinusitis (and maybe it was the Woo-Hoo Flu?) in December of 2019. Instead of two passes, I kept it to one pass everywhere, but a shower and shave was essential for me to feel like a human being.

The only time I don’t shave is when I’m sick enough that I don’t even feel like I can take a shower. Even then, I try not to skip more than one day, otherwise the next shave will be brutal.

I shave 4 or 5 days a week i guess? It's not a religion, I do it when i feel like it, but I do enjoy it. I do a single pass WTG with a good efficient razor for a CCS then splash on some Skin Bracer. Quick and efficient!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@saj1985 when I was a wee lad watching my father (a solicitor) shave, I asked him why does he shave. He gave me some words of wisdom that has stayed with me ever since. "Some people disapprove of men with facial hair but no one disapproves of a clean shaven man."

Like my father, in my profession I cannot afford to loose a client because he or she disapproves of facial hair. Many men are not in a similar situation as myself.

Since getting out of carts, I now thoroughly enjoyed my daily SR shaving - whether I need it or not. No blood or skin irritation.

I shaved daily pretty much from 1980 until Covid forced remote work. For a good chunk of that time it was with a cartridge razor of one sort or another - generally the current Gillette offering. In 2012, IIRC, Gillette came out with a new rig and it was expensive and, to my standards, didn’t shave all that well. I remember looking at a pack of replacement cartridges at Kroger for $60 and saying there has to be a better, cheaper way. That is when I started the traditional shaving routine.

At that time, there was money to be made by buying used razors at flea markets, antique stores and sometimes Ebay, cleaning them up and selling them on Ebay. this gave me the opportunity to try a myriad of razors, keep what I liked and sell the rest. i currently have 25 or so razors, 3 of which (1 DE, 1 SE & 1 Shavette) are in my medicine cabinet and 1 gets most of the use (the Shavette).

Once Covid hit my clients demanded remote work I cut back to shaving on days I had meetings (online or F2F) or 2-3 times a week. I am still in the remote work mode, clients found out they can get the same quality work without paying for travel. Now that masks have been dropped, if I am planning to go out of the house that day or have meetings, I will shave, if not, I may not.

Last edited:
Anyone here is in the military? How do you shave? How much time do you use? I'm planning on joining in my country and that's one of my major concerns.

hey so its been like nine days since i shaved my head,

honestly ive been doing it so much that all this hair on my head feels like a lot although in reality its not much lol

anyways ive been feeling really down and depressed last few days,

anyone how do you guys shave when you feel so down? i mean for example like everything feels like a chore even brushing your damn teeth

like i got a merkur 39c, was excited to try it out as its my first merkur and i really like slant razors but honestly i just dont have it in me, i just cba when im feeling so low, you know?

...anyone how do you guys shave when you feel so down? i mean for example like everything feels like a chore even brushing your damn teeth

like i got a merkur 39c, was excited to try it out as its my first merkur and i really like slant razors but honestly i just dont have it in me, i just cba when im feeling so low, you know?
Try a change of scene. Get outside, fresh air and sunshine. Take some light exercise outdoors. Find somebody you can visit or spend a little time with. Have a coffee and some light conversation.

Try a change of scene. Get outside, fresh air and sunshine. Take some light exercise outdoors. Find somebody you can visit or spend a little time with. Have a coffee and some light conversation.
I guess it's not been the best of years for anyone. Shaving , especially face lathering, really cheers me up. I've a theory that face lathering with a silky smooth lather releases endorphins! It's something I look forward to each day.

I was a daily shaver before I retired, only shave six days a week now.
Heh, I retired so I could enjoy a leisurely shave 7 days a week :)

When I was working I really prioritized my sleep and pared the morning down to a sprint from alarm to door. I used cartridges and did one single against the grain pass on everything but the upper lip, which got one wtg first, then a second agt. Blistering fast and about as awful as you might imagine. Once I started faffing about with DEs, SEs, SRs and various products I started to actually enjoy the process and the time became restorative rather than an obstacle to be overcome on my way out the door. I might not shave if I were feeling sick, but I might also get up long enough to take a shower and shave in order to have a moment of feeling better, then go right back to bed!

Not going to lie I do have on going mental health issues but even that aside it's normal to have ups and downs, just a part of life I suppose 🤷

Anyways I trimmed my moustache a bit ago, more because the length was annoying me as I'm not really a moustache sort of guy

Well tomorrows a new day and a new slate, will try to be more positive be and make an effort 💪

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Heh, I retired so I could enjoy a leisurely shave 7 days a week :)

When I was working I really prioritized my sleep and pared the morning down to a sprint from alarm to door. I used cartridges and did one single against the grain pass on everything but the upper lip, which got one wtg first, then a second agt. Blistering fast and about as awful as you might imagine. Once I started faffing about with DEs, SEs, SRs and various products I started to actually enjoy the process and the time became restorative rather than an obstacle to be overcome on my way out the door. I might not shave if I were feeling sick, but I might also get up long enough to take a shower and shave in order to have a moment of feeling better, then go right back to bed!
You story resonates with me. Although I have been wet shaving for many years it was a thing that I did just to get out the door and off to work. Since retirement it has become a hobby and an enjoyable pursuit. The only hassle I have now is a teenage daughter who shares the same bathroom and inevitably wants to use it when I decide it is shave time. With 6 day shaving there is now one day where my world is at peace ✌

Thanks for your comments it is always great to know the thoughts of fellow shavers.

Happy Shaves.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Yes, it takes six minutes out of my day, every day. No, I never get irritated. I take three gentle passes and buff as needed for BBS. Sometimes, every two or three weeks, it takes longer because I change the blade. Except for the odd backpacking trip, this has been the way of my life since the mid 1960s except that when I was younger and in more of a hurry it was only two passes. It is a routine that has become an old friend.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Daily shaving is the quickest, easiest, least suspect way to face lather with ARKO! day in/day out.

I tried shaving every few days — to let my skin recover from overzealous lack of technique — but couldn’t explain the face full of ARKO! as it isn’t one of those mostly moisturizer soaps or creams.

I'm currently in palliative care and living with a terminal illness. My uncle (and namesake) had a very similar disease and died pretty young. Even when he was very sick, he would shave faithfully using his SR until he couldn't anymore (from the shakes) and then began using a safety razor until he passed. He said it gave him something to look forward to each morning and made him feel healthier being clean shaven. I find I'm seeing it the same way myself these days. On mornings after treatments, I will sometimes forego my morning routine unless someone is good enough to give me a shave (no Eve Moneypenny around here!). But most mornings, the routine of getting the scuttle warmed up, lather prepped, the scents, the warmth, and the feeling of the blade against my skin makes me feel curiously alive. I usually do a second pass now with a Fusion blade as my hands start to shake from fatigue or pain. Before and after my shave, I will soak in our ofuro which helps loosen everything up.

Th art of shaving has now become a part of my self treatment and meditation time. I often listen to music or a book tape or if the owls are out will simply listen to them. Meeting everyone here on B&B and learning about all the different blades, brushes, soaps, creams, etc. has really open my eyes (and ears and nose) to a whole new world. I love logging on late in the morning and reading and learning from everyone here. How everyone deals with illness and pain is their own particular journey, but I've found shaving to be a real benefit in fighting to feel better. I look forwrd to hearing other responses to your question. Have a great day!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I'm currently in palliative care and living with a terminal illness. My uncle (and namesake) had a very similar disease and died pretty young. Even when he was very sick, he would shave faithfully using his SR until he couldn't anymore (from the shakes) and then began using a safety razor until he passed. He said it gave him something to look forward to each morning and made him feel healthier being clean shaven. I find I'm seeing it the same way myself these days. On mornings after treatments, I will sometimes forego my morning routine unless someone is good enough to give me a shave (no Eve Moneypenny around here!). But most mornings, the routine of getting the scuttle warmed up, lather prepped, the scents, the warmth, and the feeling of the blade against my skin makes me feel curiously alive. I usually do a second pass now with a Fusion blade as my hands start to shake from fatigue or pain. Before and after my shave, I will soak in our ofuro which helps loosen everything up.

Th art of shaving has now become a part of my self treatment and meditation time. I often listen to music or a book tape or if the owls are out will simply listen to them. Meeting everyone here on B&B and learning about all the different blades, brushes, soaps, creams, etc. has really open my eyes (and ears and nose) to a whole new world. I love logging on late in the morning and reading and learning from everyone here. How everyone deals with illness and pain is their own particular journey, but I've found shaving to be a real benefit in fighting to feel better. I look forwrd to hearing other responses to your question. Have a great day!
Please know that your B&B family is here for you. My next shave will be in your honor.

so far I'm on day 3 of daily shaving and I'm kicking myself because for the longest I thought inmust have sensitive skin and whatnot because everytime I tried daily shaving I could never go more than 2 because of my poor technique or because I rushed it and switched to shaving every 3 or 4 days but it turns out I was using slight pressure trying to forgo bbs but I don't chase it anymore if I catch it its around 4 out of 10 times but usually ill settle for dfs+ I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's shave

Top Bottom