What's new

How do you do it? Shave everyday...

Um not sure where my response went.

I have shaved at least a single pass shave nearly everyday since I have turned 18, started shaving around 12 or 13. I started using a double edge around 25 or so. It doesn't take that long to shave tried a norelco electric in my early 20's like my dad does. He still doesn't use a wet shave of any sort. The norelco just didn't do it for me, had to shave during my lunch break when I used it and it left me with razor burn even if I only shaved one time a day. But when I went back to using my cartridge razor then I walked into the smoke shop with my friend to get a couple of cigars and saw the merkur razor, and Col. Conks display of shaving things and jumped aboard trying to find a single time shave for me while working in sales.

I have shaved every day since I started my professional career in 1979. I believe I was using an “Atra” back then. After a few years and too many neck nicks (doesn’t go well with shirt and tie) I moved to electrics for many years. After seein an interesting article in 2015, I bought a Merkur 34c and my DE journey began. Later in 2015, my wife became terminally ill and from that time until her death in 2017, I found the entire wet shaving experience to be cathartic, relaxing and a distraction from her illness. I can still feel her touch on my face and her saying “wow” after seeing the difference between a close shave and a Norelco shave.

After her death I acquired between 15 and 20 razors and with each acquisition heard her say to me “if you need it or it will make you happy, buy it”. I think my razor purchases are complete but I’ll never say never to the possibility of a new razor. On special days like our anniversary or her birthday, the A4 Red Tip Superspeed is often used as it represents my late wife’s birth quarter.

Today I find my total shave experience to be good for my mind and soul. I would still shave every day for work, but now I shave every day for me.

I have shaved every day since I started my professional career in 1979. I believe I was using an “Atra” back then. After a few years and too many neck nicks (doesn’t go well with shirt and tie) I moved to electrics for many years. After seein an interesting article in 2015, I bought a Merkur 34c and my DE journey began. Later in 2015, my wife became terminally ill and from that time until her death in 2017, I found the entire wet shaving experience to be cathartic, relaxing and a distraction from her illness. I can still feel her touch on my face and her saying “wow” after seeing the difference between a close shave and a Norelco shave.

After her death I acquired between 15 and 20 razors and with each acquisition heard her say to me “if you need it or it will make you happy, buy it”. I think my razor purchases are complete but I’ll never say never to the possibility of a new razor. On special days like our anniversary or her birthday, the A4 Red Tip Superspeed is often used as it represents my late wife’s birth quarter.

Today I find my total shave experience to be good for my mind and soul. I would still shave every day for work, but now I shave every day for me.

This was a really touching post and a great tribute. I hope your journey continues to help you make the kind of connection you describe, especially when you use that Superspeed.

I think wet shaving every day can be a really healthy diversion from the things that bother us the most; while I can't personally relate to the details of the story you've shared, for me, it's a good detach from daily stress and anxiety from various sources.

I only skip a daily shave when I'm on vacation or if I'm sick. And I always how good the skin feels when I've given it a day or two "off". I shave every day out of a sense of professionalism, but I'm sure I'll shave daily after I retire too. I think the OP asked about irritation from daily shaving, which for me is an issue, I'll admit. I'm working on that with different methods and equipment until I find a solution I'm happy with. Onward!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Depending on circumstances, I might miss 2 - 3 daily shaves per month max. other than that, 3-passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) plus touch-up each and every day.

My beard is closer to barbed wire than it is to hair and grows in multiple and chaotic directions. My shaves are routinely DFS to DFS++ with the occasional BBS. I stopped obsessing about BBS and do not get nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

YMMV

I have shaved every day not very long... only 30 years. The rest of the time I only shaved once or twice a week. I continue to shave every day because it is a pleasure to have my "spa time". Shaving is not a daily chore, it is a daily retreat I look forward to each day.

I shave daily. Mostly because my job requires it and partially because I don’t like the feeling of a scratchy face especially with face masks now. With proper technique and quality products I get a 3 pass BBS or at minimum a DFS 7 days week. Being honest I do shave this way because I enjoy the products and the process as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What’s your routine and gear. I am new to DE shaving and since I’m military I need DFS to avoid 3:00 shadow. Currently I use a DE89 with GSB typically but have been experimenting with Personnas. Shower, pre-shave oil, Proraso white tub, 2 pass, alum, Thayers (non alc) and Nivea. Have mild to moderate irritation most days.
Regards,
Scott

That is a great memory, sorry for your loss, made me tear up to read it. Thanks for sharing it.

Have not been wet shaving long, little over 3 months, but I really love the relaxing alone time once I close the bathroom door until I come out it is great. I started shaving in the evening and enjoy it even more, I look forward to it everyday.

It's a nice quiet time that I can spend by myself every morning. My beard is really thick, too, so shaving every day is just easier. However, every few years, I'll grow a yeard for a change.

Real men bath every day. Real men shave every day. All the rest are ruffians or Rastas. What are you?
God save the Queen!😁

Seriously, "how do you do it/tolerate it...", is highly individualistic. I have a rapid growth, with moderately coarse hair. Occasionally, I will skip a Friday evening (before bed shower & shaver), but that's about it.

If you have fine hair, and/or slow growth, shaving daily would probably be fairly irritating, unless you used a mild razor.

Do you guys shave everyday even when feeling ill?

If so, how do you have the strength or even concentrate?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you have a routine that you really enjoy, then shaving is a pleasure point and not a chore that one wants to get over and done.
The trick is finding something in the routine that you really like, a great soap, a great razor, a great blade, a great aftershave, heated lather, variety in each etc.

Do you guys shave everyday even when feeling ill?

If so, how do you have the strength or even concentrate?

I don't remember how feeling ill is since I have been wearing a KN95 mask for the better part of the last two years due to the pandemic and don't really socialize due to the almost constant lock downs ,but no in the very rare occasions when I was bedridden with lots of fever due to a bug I did not shave,but I also did not eat,walk or ,I admit it,even wash.

But not to shave daily under normal conditions?
No way walking the streets looking like a bum....

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
With the advent of the RazoRock Lupo and the close shaves I'm getting from it with a number of razor blades, it's not necessary for me to shave daily anymore. However, I kinda miss it because I've built up a collection of software that's really enjoyable. 🙂

If you have a routine that you really enjoy, then shaving is a pleasure point and not a chore that one wants to get over and done.
The trick is finding something in the routine that you really like, a great soap, a great razor, a great blade, a great aftershave, heated lather, variety in each etc.
It's just when you're I'll your so out of it, so thought I'd ask but yea I hear what your saying

I don't remember how feeling ill is since I have been wearing a KN95 mask for the better part of the last two years due to the pandemic and don't really socialize due to the almost constant lock downs ,but no in the very rare occasions when I was bedridden with lots of fever due to a bug I did not shave,but I also did not eat,walk or ,I admit it,even wash.

But not to shave daily under normal conditions?
No way walking the streets looking like a bum....
Not shaving for a day make you look like a bum? What does a bum look like according to you then mate? Lol 😂

I go through phases where I'll shave every day for awhile and then I'll go back to every other day. My face prefers every other day even with one or two passes. If I listen to my face my shaves are far better. Aces!

Top Bottom