What's new

How do you do it? Shave everyday...

Hey people. I can't get my head around the fact that there's so many of you that shave everyday,
When I used to shave my facial hair it was like two three times a week from what I remember,
I just shave my head now hate facial shaving, anyways I cant understand how you guys can shave every single day, day in say out without fail..

I mean don't you get irritation?

Don't you ever get that cba moment and just feel lazy and think f*** it, don't want to do it today?

So shaving everyday i mean isn't it time consuming? Or is it a quick shave due to there being minimal growth?

Also do you go against the grain during your daily shaves?

Help me understand lol 😂😁
Your shave is personal to you. If all your shave choices and decisions are based on comfort, and consistently repeated. You’ve Arrived. The time between shaves and products and razors used are personal to your shave. Coming from Carts I shaved every three days. My DE efficiency allowed my to open that to five days. I’m learning straight razors now. I shave weekly not because of efficiency. My SR technique brings a little neck irritation onto the learning curve. The extra two days ensures the shave will be on comfortable healthy skin. I feel the longer whiskers bring added stability to my learning SR shaves. I have sensitive skin. Normal rules or shave dogma cannot always be followed. Comfort ensures enjoyment which is a very high percentage of my shaves.

After 24 hours I have noticeable stubble that drives me nuts, so it has to go. Plus I wear collared shirts, and my neck stubble can wreck a collar pretty quickly, so it has to go. Once in a blue moon I may skip shaving on a Saturday, but it's rare.

And besides, how else am I going to use up all the stuff I've bought in order to save money by shaving the traditional way?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I generally shave daily, but I could probably shave every other day with ease precisely because of the very good, close shaves I get when I shave.

I shave every day for a lot of the reasons mentioned. In addition, every shave is different and it's interesting to explore shaving experiences with different combinations of software and tools. Given that I have enough razors that I really like using for every day of the week, about a dozen brushes made from three different kinds of knots, about a dozen soaps and as many different blade choices, there are enough possible combos to last well beyond my lifetime. So I don't give up my morning shave ever.

I used to abhor shaving and kept a full beard.
When I started shaving again this time, I tried to do it properly with correct tools and techniques.

Initially, my skin who wasn't accustomed to daily shaves got mauled, scraped by my clumsiness and also because of not being used to shaves.

Since past month, shaves are getting better, I took a rest from shaving every other day previously, and since this month, I'm shaving everyday.

Largely, daily shaves are possible and believe it or not, can become quite enjoyable because with proper pressure on razor, good lather and a sharp blade it actually does less damage to the skin, even if you shave daily.

My skin is becoming cleaner (?), breakouts are reduced, irritation is manageable if at all.

Find what works for you - pre shave oil/ cream, hot water, cold water, bath before shave, bath after shave, boar brush, synthetic brush etc.

In short, factors are numerous, find the combination and continue the shaves, soon daily shaves will become enjoyable.

When i used cardridges i shaved 2 times a week. But a year ago i switched to a DE razor and loved it so much that i started shaving daily. I have almost no irritation and ingrown hairs anymore. I use a rockwell 6s and normally use baseplate 3 or 4. Recently i tried baseplate 5 for a few days in a row and that was too much. So i guess daily only works for me when using mild settings.

I have been doing my daily four pass ,five minute shave since 1980.
If I miss even a single day my skin itches and I get irritation.
I don't understand all this mumbo jumbo about shaving and getting irritation,maybe it's a matter of bad technique?

I've a light beard but shave every day as it's so enjoyable. I use a range of razors in terms of aggressiveness, but light touch . If I go beyond a day, I find my skin suffers, so maybe the answer is, to shave more often for a comfortable shave, but keep a light touch and don't chase bbs.

I tried a 24-hour beard shave again today: no shower or face prep, one pass on cheeks, lower lip, and throat, and one pass on the throat alone. Excellent shave. The real question will be if I can do the same no-prep routine on a 48-hour beard and come out of it with a good shave.

Being fully retired, I love my daily non-rushed shave routine. Laying out the hard and software, the shave itself, and cleaning up afterward.

For the average person, shaving everyday is mostly a matter of finding the tools to do so while avoiding irritation.

Of course, everybody knows that, on the Internet, nobody's average, and absolutely everyone has barbed wire on the most sensitive skin :001_tt2:

Have fun and shave as often, and as much, as it makes you happy!

For the average person, shaving everyday is mostly a matter of finding the tools to do so while avoiding irritation.

Of course, everybody knows that, on the Internet, nobody's average, and absolutely everyone has barbed wire on the most sensitive skin :001_tt2:

Have fun and shave as often, and as much, as it makes you happy!
True. I know that almost everyone can shave everyday. Their are untold millions of men who have served in the US military through two world wars, Korea, Vietnam and even today. When I was in the Navy we would have a morning muster where we would stand in ranks while our division officer read the Plan Of The Day and he inspected our uniforms, haircuts and facial grooming. I am sure something like that goes on in every service branch. When you have to do it you figure out how to do it. I did know several black men who would get ingrown hairs and terrible skin bumps and they could get temporary exemptions from shaving.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Hey people. I can't get my head around the fact that there's so many of you that shave everyday,
When I used to shave my facial hair it was like two three times a week from what I remember,
I just shave my head now hate facial shaving, anyways I cant understand how you guys can shave every single day, day in say out without fail..

I mean don't you get irritation?

Don't you ever get that cba moment and just feel lazy and think forget it, don't want to do it today?

So shaving everyday i mean isn't it time consuming? Or is it a quick shave due to there being minimal growth?

Also do you go against the grain during your daily shaves?

Help me understand lol 😂😁

I have a couple of reasons. One is to honor my grandfather, whose name I bear. During the depression he worked as an auto mechanic. He would put on a suit and tie to go to work. After he got there he would change, and after work he would clean up and put his suit and tie back on for the trip home. He eventually retired as the chairman of the board of assessors. I think he finished the 10th grade.

The biggest reason is that my wife is so beyond what I deserve on my best day. My son is of the generation that thinks it looks cool to walk around with two days growth, and kissing him on the cheek is like kissing a porcupine. I would not do that to my wife, as I like to encourage her to kiss me.

I also don't want to look like a bum. I wasn't blessed with a light enough beard to avoid that look.

I avoid irritation by outlawing touch-ups of any kind. It took me months (and I don't mean 2) to finally arrive at a place where I didn't constantly miss spots. My irritation was finding these spots while applying balm, but there was some consistency in their locations and I eventually eliminated them with a little more concentration on my technique there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on the situation, job, where I am, what am I doing, mood, weather etc. Sometimes I have to shave every day and sometimes I don't and I either shave once every 2-4 days or once a week or maybe two. Sometimes I just let it grow a bit and only shave my neck and cheeks. Same goes with my hairstyle/haircut, although there's not much I can change there. I'm not a cartoon character to look exactly the same 24/7 the whole year every year.

Shaving every day was just expected for men in business, until the last couple of decades. Men were expected to wear a suit and tie, have shined shoes, and project a professional image. If you didn't, the other fellow would. It was, and isn't, that big a deal to shave every day. Yes, there were some nicks, irritation, and the like. But, you just dealt with it.

To put it in perspective, we men had it far, far easier than did working women. They needed to wear dresses or skirts, pantyhose, heels, to put makeup on, and to deal with the sexism. Women, whether they worked or not, were expected to bear the brunt of dealing with the household and children.

Try putting on a pair of pantyhouse, shaving daily isn't nearly that bad:lol:

Top Bottom