What's new

How do you disassemble a Gillette super speed

When you get tired of trying to fix it use my old favorite quick fix tool. Works every time.
sledge.jpg

R

romsitsa

Yes, it can, look up Capt. Murphys video on Fatboy disassembly. But it can become loose after reassembly.
Any pronged/U shaped screwdriver will work, if it won't fit inside the knob, file down from the sides until it fits.

Adam

Yes, it can, look up Capt. Murphys video on Fatboy disassembly. But it can become loose after reassembly.
Any pronged/U shaped screwdriver will work, if it won't fit inside the knob, file down from the sides until it fits.

Adam
Perhaps best to leave it alone, if it becomes loose after reassembly.

R

romsitsa

Not always, but it can happen as it's press fitted. A member posted a paperweight made from a Super Adjustable cross section (can't find it) there you can see that the groove holding the knob is quite shallow.

Adam

I wish. It's a pity, Captain Murphy deleted a bunch of valuable YouTube videos a few years ago.
Based on the number of times I've seen them referenced here, they must have been really helpful. I'm trying to figure out how to reinstall the spring clip in the TTO base of post-1957 Super Speeds (before I take one of mine apart). I'm also curious about how to re-spread the little tabs on the underside of the spider bar (the ones that keep that spider assembly in place even after you remove the left-handed screw in the base). I'm guessing that you can simply leave them crimped flat together without compromising the functioning of the TTO mechanism, but I'd rather know how to put them back in the position they belong.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm also curious about how to re-spread the little tabs on the underside of the spider bar (the ones that keep that spider assembly in place even after you remove the left-handed screw in the base). I'm guessing that you can simply leave them crimped flat together without compromising the functioning of the TTO mechanism, but I'd rather know how to put them back in the position they belong.
I used a brass punch and tapped it with a small hammer. Those act as a stop and keep the t-bar/door assembly from going up through the baseplate too far.

Why do you need to disassemble the Super Speed?

I used a brass punch and tapped it with a small hammer. Those act as a stop and keep the t-bar/door assembly from going up through the baseplate too far.

Why do you need to disassemble the Super Speed?
I don't NEED to disassemble a Super Speed just yet, but I love to take things apart. And, I have a few Super Speeds coming in a batch I just bought that look like they may need some work (which I love). I really like the Slims and have a few that I've worked on to tune them up. I've even made a couple tools to make the job easier and less likely to damage them. I don't know why, but I just really like bringing old stuff back to life.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I don't NEED to disassemble a Super Speed just yet, but I love to take things apart. And, I have a few Super Speeds coming in a batch I just bought that look like they may need some work (which I love). I really like the Slims and have a few that I've worked on to tune them up. I've even made a couple tools to make the job easier and less likely to damage them. I don't know why, but I just really like bringing old stuff back to life.
Buy a couple of vintage sports cars, that'll keep ya busy. :whistling:

Top Bottom