What's new

How do you decide which aftershave to you use?

My collection has recently reached a point where i get conflicted between which one to use after every shave. I have about 20 different bottles now which is probably lowest than many others here, but that doesn’t make the choice any easier! Like a kid in a candy store.

I usually try to use Aqua Velva Blue on a Monday and Clubman Pinaud on a Friday, but there used to be no set schedule behind which ones i use the other five days ( i shave daily ). I now end up picking up the bottle i use the night before to save myself the decision in the morning. There are still times where i end up using more or some bottles and less of others, but oh well.

How do you guys decide which one to use? Any specific ones for specific days, or just random usage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of soaps, brushes, razors and blades here.

I use Aqua Velva every shave like my father and grandfather did. Occasionally I use Old Spice, but tend to prefer matching colognes than AS.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I go in streaks. Right now I'm using a lot of vintage Avon Tribute that I mixed quite a bit of bergamot essential oil in. Smells divine!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
On hot days, it's easy. Anything with a chill. If I have some matching soaps and aftershaves (Margaritas in the Arctic, for example), the choice has already been made. Other times, I splash on Pinaud Lime Sec that I've fortified with menthol and glycerin.

The rest of the seasons are governed my my choice of colognes. Hence, I seek short-lived, complementary AS scents that play well with the frags I use: Thayers Rose, or plain WH to which I've added 4711 and glycerin, are favorites. I'll use longer-lasting aftershaves (Executive Man or Sharp Dressed Man) if they happen to reflect or match my frag of the day.

Then there are days when I forego a separate frag altogether and use an aftershave with real staying power such as Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve or Aqua Velva Musk.

Naturally, my mood of the morning can toss all these choices into a cocked hat. Ultimately, I go with what moves me on any given day.

Depends on how I feel that AM, the temperature, phase of the moon, whether I am in a rush, etc.!!

:a29::a29:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
For me it depends when I shave. If I shave at night, like before bed, I’ll use a balm that really has no scent. If it’s morning then I’ll use a splash with a scent. Or if something is almost done I might use that just to hurry it along.

I pick from the ones that won't fight with the scent of the soap I used, based on weather, mood, consideration on whether I'm meeting clients that day, etc

It depends on the quality of the shave, Speick or Lotion Opaline are excellent if you have been too aggressive. Other AS's are dependent on the weather, citrus for Summer, woodsy for Autumn, Fougere for Spring.

I don't have any specific rotation. I basically base my aftershave choice off a few variables and then choose one out of my collection that fits with those variables. Those variables being: season of the year, weather that day, soap scent I used.

If I'm using citrus shave soap, I'll try to use a citrusy AS. I'll try to match bay rum to bay rum, lime to lime, Sandalwood to Sandalwood, etc. Stirling makes that easy because they offer shave balms & AS in the same scents as their soaps, so I've got several different sets of Stirling soaps and matching aftershaves.

When in doubt, it's Pinaud Clubman. I've got almost all the scents in the Pinaud line, but usually end up using the original the most.

I like trying new combos. I do not like menthol.

Pretty much whatever I am doing that day and time of year.

If I am going to work then I wear Prada L'homme or Bleu de Chanel.

If I am off work and staying home, Prada L'homme because it's a really fresh, clean smell.

If I am off work but leaving the house then pretty much anything I want, but usually Dior Sauvage, Armani Code Profumo, Floris Leather Oud, Tom Ford Ombre Leather, Georgio Armani Stronger with You.

Going for a night out, several of the above or Creed Aventus.

Business or formal event, Bleu de Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed.

Can't go wrong with Bleu de Chanel though. Works for everything.

Sunday - toss a coin for Floid Vigoroso (which is okay) or Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender (which I really like but am trying to conserve)
Monday - Reuzel
Tuesday - Old Spice Classic
Wednesday - Proraso Red (I usually use the PR soap the same night)
Thursday - Mennen Skin Bracer
Friday - Pinaud Clubman (because every Friday is Clubman Friday)
Saturday - Brut

And that's all I have to choose from.
When the Floid runs out I might try buying some B&M Seville AS, because I like the bergamot scent of the soap.
I would buy more AS, but I hate buying new types without a sniff test first. Too bad there aren't more samplers out there.

I just started purchasing soaps and aftershaves other than the basic proroso and canned stuff. I'm now just grabbing the matching Barrister and Mann set everyday and going with that. Now I need to find a good preshave that's unscented that doesn't change the soap smell.

Based on the edt I will be using usually. I like trying to pair aftershave and edt.

Sometimes I go with just an aftershave and in that case I choose it based on what sounds good at the end of the shave.

When you have many, it can be a hard choice. I agree.
I do split mine (for the most part) into Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter "categories". Spring/Summer are more fresh, citrus, green-ish. Fall/Winter are more Amber, Woodsy, Tobacco-like.

I also have a few that I would call more office professional. Like the Creed clones (WSP Olympus and Gaelic Tweed). I use those for important meetings or office days. Other than the season, and special work days, I just go with what moves me for that particular day.

I have nivea balm, l'occitane cade, and trumpers sandlewood skin food. I select based on whats next... Work, fun or nothing special

Top Bottom