What's new

How do you count your shaves on blades, soaps, etc...

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I just use a DE blade for 7 shaves and then change it. No need for anything to keep count. I don’t count shaves on soaps, creams, uses of balms etc as I think that it is a waste of time. I keep count of the uses on cartridge razor shaves in the sub forum in the Modern Shaving Systems forum. I normally aim for 21 shaves on a cartridge razor blade. I personally believe that we are overthinking this whole shaving thing. Our fathers and grandfathers just bought razors, blades and brushes and just used them. They did not worry about blade gaps, brush lofts etc. We should not either.

I just use a DE blade for 7 shaves and then change it. No need for anything to keep count. I don’t count shaves on soaps, creams, uses of balms etc as I think that it is a waste of time. I keep count of the uses on cartridge razor shaves in the sub forum in the Modern Shaving Systems forum. I normally aim for 21 shaves on a cartridge razor blade. I personally believe that we are overthinking this whole shaving thing. Our fathers and grandfathers just bought razors, blades and brushes and just used them. They did not worry about blade gaps, brush lofts etc. We should not either.
Actually Im only counting blades as well but sometimes I change a blade before it's dull for some reasons : eg blade participation PIF etc. As for soaps I never counted use of soaps/AS etc but I saw people in the 3017 thread doing it so was wondering how they do it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Today I used a blade for the 8th time. GSB! Felt awesome! I first used it in August of 2017.

It's in a tuck I have in my travel purse! I'm going back home today.

long ago stopped keeping track of #/blade, etc.
MPG no longer matters, given my over-indulgence of everything shaving!
try to keep photo of each shave with keywords and date.

shaves 2016 2017.jpg

I use a fine point Sharpie marker and make hash tags on the blade wrapper. I should really start a diary in a legal pad. It would drive my wife nuts!
Great minds! I mark the blade wrapper with a fine sharpie; a number in a circle shows me the number of that make; and tally line (s) to show whether it’s the first, second or third use. After three I ditch the blade.

I also keep a shave log, in a book and a Numbers spreadsheet, to show the equipment, (razor, blade, and soap) including which number blade I used, and how many uses it’s had. The spreadsheet categorises the combinations into consecutive, 2- and 3-day shaves, and how I’ve scored them, so I can see later on which combos worked best or worst for the applicable growth. Takes me five minutes after a shave, and maybe another five through the day.

96811529-ABE8-44A5-BA20-4A29D2036ED4.jpeg

The aim is to repeat the good shaves, and not the bad ones!

Attachments

• F9E915B6-39CA-4161-8D00-08E611375E7D.jpeg
    F9E915B6-39CA-4161-8D00-08E611375E7D.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 3

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to blade count and have used dice and write down, sharpie sometimes or use dials which I prefer.
I started out this way(Newbie) and more than likely will keep this simple system which is fast. I have a larger razor rotation of razors and like to use the same De or Gem blades in these different razors.(it works better for me instead of having 40 + razors with blades in razors). Schick injectors I keep blade in razor for being practical & Valet auto-strop also.
Dice work well as long as I'm careful cleaning my area where I store blades( seldom used now)! If your into counting soap, blade #, razor used & time it makes more sense to use software app IMO. I just count blades and have learned it does help me improve my shaves by knowing when a blade is getting near its end of life cycle & not to push a blade just for great #'s is not my objective when counting.
I use averages for most times to use a blade DE (6max) ,Gem blades(10 max)and Schick injector blades(10 max) with a few blades(Kai SS DE 10 max) seems to work well for me.
Blade bank storage.jpg
Blade counter 1.0 (2).jpg
Blade counter 2.0 (2).jpg
Blade counter 3.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Top Bottom