What's new

How do you compare razors?

I often think that one razor shaves closer than another, but how much of that is real and how much is subjective? For example, razors with more blade feel, or which you might call more aggressive seem to shave closer. Or at least I feel as if I've had a closer shave.

But recently I've started to doubt myself. My new test plan for comparing razors is to use one for the right side of my face and the other for the left (with identical blades in the two razors). I then ask my wife if she can tell which side is shaved closer. I also ask her at the end of the day, to see if any possible difference is still noticeable. The next day I use the same two razors and switch sides. My wife has no idea which side is what (and couldn't care less, either). In my recent tests, she has found no difference between a Rockwell 6C on Plate 5 and the RazoRock Gamechanger. I thought the 6C gave me a closer shave, but not according to my wife, who judges by both look and feel.

So is this the best way to compare? Is it possible that there really is so little difference between how closely different razors shave? How do you judge? Everyone talks about BBS, but how do you actually know?

Sounds reasonable. To me this is comparing the shave quality which is a critical aspect.

Other things that are important to me are to have a razor that is comfortable to shave with and one that is ascetically appealing. That’s me.

I never go for BBS. One pass for me, WTG, every time.

I also use your test method ... different razors on either side, letting wifey judge. For the most part I get really close shaves regardless of razor; with a few exceptions, the differences are mostly negligible.

For me, post-shave comfort is how I judge a razor's effectiveness. I want to feel clean and smooth with minimal irritation.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I often think that one razor shaves closer than another, but how much of that is real and how much is subjective? For example, razors with more blade feel, or which you might call more aggressive seem to shave closer. Or at least I feel as if I've had a closer shave.

But recently I've started to doubt myself. My new test plan for comparing razors is to use one for the right side of my face and the other for the left (with identical blades in the two razors). I then ask my wife if she can tell which side is shaved closer. I also ask her at the end of the day, to see if any possible difference is still noticeable. The next day I use the same two razors and switch sides. My wife has no idea which side is what (and couldn't care less, either). In my recent tests, she has found no difference between a Rockwell 6C on Plate 5 and the RazoRock Gamechanger. I thought the 6C gave me a closer shave, but not according to my wife, who judges by both look and feel.

So is this the best way to compare? Is it possible that there really is so little difference between how closely different razors shave? How do you judge? Everyone talks about BBS, but how do you actually know?

I judge all of mine on efficiency, comfort and ease of use.

My Fatip Grande does in 1 buffing pass ATG and one clean up what takes my Tech, on last shave;

Standard 3 pass++++ shave.

First pass N-S. Second pass S-N. Third pass directly ATG. No buffing at any point.

First clean up at and below my jawline, buffing ATG.

Second clean up pass below my jawline, buffing ATG.

Third clean up pass and back over my jawline at a 45° angle and buffing over my swirls.

Fourth clean up pass lol, 45° the opposite direction and buffing over my swirls.

In the end I needed to start all over again hahaha.

I have very comfortable skin and a very nice BBS shave, but I damn well better after that much work! Mild razors are just that mild. Easy on the skin but not what I'd call efficient. It was an enjoyable shave, its hard to dismiss that much comfort, but at the same time its maddeningly frustrating.

My Brit Old Type clone is very similar to my Tech and gives me a BBS in 1-2 less clean ups if I do my part.

As long as I do my part my Grande feels just as nice and I have the 'I dont feel like I've shaved' feeling after.

My other razors fall in between. 1917 Single Ring, NEW SC and 1940 Gillette Regent all give me the same level of BBS in 2 1/2 passes. One pass N-S, one ATG and one clean up over my swirls.

Comfort level between those 3 vary but efficiency is the same. My Single Ring is the most comfortable and I use it at a steep angle. My NEW SC at a neutral angle is as smooth but it has gap so not quite as comfortable. My Regent I use shallow to very shallow. No gap and very comfortable but its a more technical shave.

All of the above razors are rigid designs. My R41 is the exception. With it, its 3 full passes, N-S, S-N and ATG plus one clean up. Very little to no buffing is done during a shave with my R41 for the same BBS.

I consider a BBS shave one where immediately post shave I can feel no whiskers anywhere even with firm pressure of my fingers or the heel of my palm. If I can rest my chin on my hand and lean into it and not feel any stubble its a BBS.

Similar to others. How it feels during the shave, level of efficiency, how holds blade, overall build quality, & subjective aesthetics.

For level of efficiency it’s a combo of blade feel on face and length of time until stubble returns or limited stubble left grows.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Efficiency means "how much stubble is gone after one pass," to me. When the second pass is a waste of soap, that's an efficient shaver!

Close means close, as in a glass-smooth face after. Too frequently, a mean-enough razor that can get this done, will also give you nicks, rash and weepers.

When you get one that gets you that glass-smooth shave, with no damage, in one pass ... you got a razor!

AA

How I judge a razor (and a blade) is how smooth my face feels several hours after shaving, and how smooth my face feels 24 hour later.

I don't like judging a shave by feeling and comparing the 2 sides of my face. Whether we are lefthanded or righthanded, the opposite side on the face is always a little more awkward to shave, unless you are truly ambidextrous.

How I judge a razor (and a blade) is how smooth my face feels several hours after shaving, and how smooth my face feels 24 hour later.

I don't like judging a shave by feeling and comparing the 2 sides of my face. Whether we are lefthanded or righthanded, the opposite side on the face is always a little more awkward to shave, unless you are truly ambidextrous.
That’s why on the second day of comparing them, I switch sides.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The best way to learn a razor and blade type is a Fixed Four for a month. Just dont do it with Tabac unless you're absolutely sure you love the scent lol.

When that month is over you'll know them both intimately.

I do like I always do. Pick a blade and shave for 3 days. If the first shave is bad, I will swap blades the next day. There have been occasions, like with both my Timeless bronze razors, that I have had to try multiple different blades to make a decision. usually 3 days is all I need to decide if a razor is in the active rotation, now 12-15 razors.

As my technique has gotten better and more polished after about 5 years of DE shaving, I find that I can get BBS in under 3 passes with any razor, using any blade.

The one razor that tested me very recently was my Timeless 95 OC stainless. I was getting a lot of irritation with every blade I used except for Kai. After using the Kai exclusively, my technique changed for the razor and I learned that I had to eliminate across the grain strokes and stick to with the grain and against the grain only. Have no clue why, but that change worked. Now, thankfully I can get BBS with my Timeless with any blade without irritation.

That is kinda funny. But it begs the question, what razor would that at the moment?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Well, the PAA Bakelite slant, GEM Micromatic/1912, Barbasol Floating Head, JOHN Watts Gleaner, and Golden 500 come to mind.

Why would you find entertainment to be “kinda funny”.:a11:

A WR1 in .86mm gap. I just got a .94mm today. Both razors require attention....both will punish poor technique. The 94 is phenomenal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

There are two pesky spots above and behind my adam's appel. Any razor that gives BBS in two passes in that area is highly effective for me.
Three pass razors need further evaluation, above three passes the razor won't suit me.
It's very subjective, but works for me.

Adam

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have seen precious few razors that I thought were too ugly to use - they all look pretty good to me. Balance, on the other hand, changes quite a bit with weight of head, weight of handle and length of handle.

The only fairly consistent problem I find with several razors is a head that is too fat to comfortably shave under the nose.

I do a three pass shave and I'm looking for two things: a daily BBS and little to no irritation. If I get those two things consistently I might overlook a design I think could be better.

Why would you find entertainment to be “kinda funny”.:a11:

I totally misread this the other night.

"the more challenging, the more entertaining"...I read that to mean you like a handful of razor (lots of blade feel, very efficient, smooth). One that requires your attention. You had an interesting way to phrase it, and I agree. I wasn't picking a fight Mr. 12. I was identifying....

Top Bottom