What's new

How do you compare razors?

I totally misread this the other night.

"the more challenging, the more entertaining"...I read that to mean you like a handful of razor (lots of blade feel, very efficient, smooth). One that requires your attention. You had an interesting way to phrase it, and I agree. I wasn't picking a fight Mr. 12. I was identifying....
No harm no foul, Brother Loot....:a14:I didn't take it as if you were. It is all good.

I often think that one razor shaves closer than another, but how much of that is real and how much is subjective? For example, razors with more blade feel, or which you might call more aggressive seem to shave closer. Or at least I feel as if I've had a closer shave.

But recently I've started to doubt myself. My new test plan for comparing razors is to use one for the right side of my face and the other for the left (with identical blades in the two razors). I then ask my wife if she can tell which side is shaved closer. I also ask her at the end of the day, to see if any possible difference is still noticeable. The next day I use the same two razors and switch sides. My wife has no idea which side is what (and couldn't care less, either). In my recent tests, she has found no difference between a Rockwell 6C on Plate 5 and the RazoRock Gamechanger. I thought the 6C gave me a closer shave, but not according to my wife, who judges by both look and feel.

So is this the best way to compare? Is it possible that there really is so little difference between how closely different razors shave? How do you judge? Everyone talks about BBS, but how do you actually know?

I suspect that slight day-to-day differences in technique my be your biggest variable. No matter how hard we try, we all experience small differences in technique from day to day based on the condition of our skin, how well we slept, how we feel, how hot or humid it is today, what's on our mind, etc.

Comfort and a BBS are the tests for me. I want a BBS (don't mind doing 3 passes) and I want my face to not burn afterward. I usually shave a number of times with a razor to determine whether I like it or not. My blade of choice is Feather (keep the same brand of blade and I think that it eliminates one variable in my assessment).

Comfort and a BBS are the tests for me. I want a BBS (don't mind doing 3 passes) and I want my face to not burn afterward. I usually shave a number of times with a razor to determine whether I like it or not. My blade of choice is Feather (keep the same brand of blade and I think that it eliminates one variable in my assessment).
I agree!

I have found that the blade itself makes most of the difference. Since I have several vintage Gillettes, And currently using a Hoffritz slant. I just used a Astra SP and got a dozen BBS shaves, usually 3 pass. IMHO the slant seems to allow the blade to cut at such an angle that it allows the blade to be more efficient longer. So that is how I rate the efficiency of the entire unit. Seems to me that the amount of time and efficiency that is taken in the preshave prep, also makes a big difference in my IMHO.

very good post because often most seek the best razor but it doesnt exist. they should be seeking the best technique and that is by earning it through trial and error. there are too many variables. too many blades, creams/soaps. the lather and water (hardness, try 1 cup heated bottled water, etc). i used a tech for 10 years straight before switching razors and i only did it for 2 reasons. i stopped shaving in the shower because of other reasons. and my hair got slightly coarser, especially my upper lip. i now use a different razor, blade and even soap. i used CELLA for 10 years and now went totally unscented with Le Nude.

Being a leg shaver I guess I have an advantage where I can use (and often do) a different razor on each leg. That way I can see and feel the difference between each razor. Right now, I find mid-aggressive razors and slant razors give me the best, efficient shaves.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom