• Other - Please Specify

Results are only viewable after voting.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Keurig Descaling solution.
Straight Vinegar.
Vinegar & Water 50/50.

These are the most common options I see for cleaning a Keurig. I've used both and I've seen crud be removed with both ways. I'm just wondering what method the folks here use? And if you think one is better than the other?

Also, I've heard vinegar may not be good for the rubber caskets and whatnot inside the machine?.....

I have the K400 and I use it at least twice a day. I used to primarily run bottled water in it, but lately I've been using the faucet water.

$13507079_1633160087004341_5745426157308838144_n.jpg

I have had a k300 for over a year and never did any cleaning solution. Our water is pretty good. I used the machine for making ice tea by the gallon. Making around a gallon a day. In that time frame I did have the machine act up once and needed to use the plunger cleaner. That machine was destroyed in the August flood. I now have a K400 and plan on using it the same way.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I always saw a bunch of crud being emptied in the glass when I ran either solution through my machine. I have a second one just like it "put up" that I don't use. Maybe I should alternate them. Use one for a month then the other.

Look in the home canning isle in your grocery store for some citric acid (used in pickling).

Dissolve some in water (about 2-3 tbl for an average Keurig). Run the water with the citric acid empty. Rinse the reservoir and fill it with water. Run a full reservoir of water through the machine. This will remove any calcium deposits you may have in the boiler.

Clean the brew area with Cafiza which is a commercial espresso brew system cleaner. It will dissolve any coffee oils. Make sure you run enough water though the brew area to rinse away any residue.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thanks for the info! I bet that Cafiza would work great to get the oils out of my stainless travel mug

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Try Urnex K Cleaner pods. Urnex makes lots of coffee cleaning products and they have special pods for K cup machines and Nespresso machines. They also sell descaling solutions for those machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleaning and descaling are not the same thing. I descale my wife's Keurig with the same thing I use to descale my espresso machine (and drip machine when I had one) -- citric acid. For cleaning I use Puro Caff which is just one of many detergents out there that are handy for removing coffee oils.

I used to primarily run bottled water in it, but lately I've been using the faucet water.
Also be aware that "bottled" doesn't necessarily mean "soft" and "faucet" doesn't necessarily mean "hard". Both bottled and tap can be hard or soft. Test the hardness of all water that you use.

We just always use filtered water in the machine. I've never cleaned it.
...and filtered is not necessarily softened. There are some filters that soften but not all do.

Last edited:
be aware that "bottled" doesn't necessarily mean "soft" and "faucet" doesn't necessarily mean "hard". Both bottled and tap can be hard or soft. Test the hardness of all water that you use.

...and filtered is not necessarily softened. There are some filters that soften but not all do.

All local governments (in the US) are required by law to post a water quality report at least once a year.

google "your city name" + "water quality report"

Last edited:
We use filtered water from the tap, PUR system. Cleaned the machine after 2 years with 50/50 white vinegar. Thanks for the tip on the citric acid, will give that a go.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thanks guys! Super awesome tips here.

Pretty sure someone said the Keurgi cleaning solution was simply citric acid

I have had a k300 for over a year and never did any cleaning solution. Our water is pretty good. I used the machine for making ice tea by the gallon. Making around a gallon a day. In that time frame I did have the machine act up once and needed to use the plunger cleaner. That machine was destroyed in the August flood. I now have a K400 and plan on using it the same way.
Bobbers-I'm new here and would love to know how you brew a gallon of iced tea with the Keurig? We drink a lot of tea and I would love to have a simpler method, so don't skimp on the details! Thanks!

E98C304E-B046-4090-BF5D-E4DA051E5C94.jpeg
14 oz of 3-5% solution of citric acid. Follow directions as if using keurig solution. Citric acid can be found cheap on amazon-one pound bag lasts a long time.

Top Bottom