What's new

How do you chose ... ?

Today marked the 4th month of SR shaving for me. Totally digging it and now have three "nice" razors, a Dorko 114, a Torrey "Our 136", and my first, a Dovo Forestal. All are a pleasure to use.

My problem? I only shave once a day, so two razors get no love on any given day! And on days when I'm test shaving my sharpening practice razors, my babies all get neglected.

I see so many of you that have 5, 10, 20, or more beautiful razors. How do you chose which one to use? Gut check when you walk towards the bathroom? Set rotation calculated for minimum wear and tear? Spin the big "Razor of the day wheel" that's mounted on the back of the bathroom door?

Seriously, I think my SRAD may be self limiting since I can't bear the thought that my razors will get less and less use as I buy more. Any advice or insight is appreciated.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Don’t feel bad. You see, razors are sleeping when you are not using them and don’t feel neglected. They only have awareness while you hold them so they feel loved all the time actually. And honing is like a good massage to them. You are doing a good thing by buying more and more razors. You’re like an animal shelter for razors. Don’t worry - feel proud for the good you do! :a14:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Seriously, I think my SRAD may be self limiting since I can't bear the thought that my razors will get less and less use as I buy more. Any advice or insight is appreciated.

I feel exactly the same way, I've just not worded it as well as that. :D

I currently have 10 razors, and each has a "purpose". However, only one of these is a straight, plus there's a shavette too. So for me, it's just a matter of if I want a straight razor shave or not, and whether I want to bother stropping :)

Longer term, it's quite possible that I might pick up another few straights, but it will be a very limited array of Sheffield straights.

Today marked the 4th month of SR shaving for me. Totally digging it and now have three "nice" razors, a Dorko 114, a Torrey "Our 136", and my first, a Dovo Forestal. All are a pleasure to use.

My problem? I only shave once a day, so two razors get no love on any given day! And on days when I'm test shaving my sharpening practice razors, my babies all get neglected.

I see so many of you that have 5, 10, 20, or more beautiful razors. How do you chose which one to use? Gut check when you walk towards the bathroom? Set rotation calculated for minimum wear and tear? Spin the big "Razor of the day wheel" that's mounted on the back of the bathroom door?

I too only shave once a day and I’ve been at str8 razor shaving for about two years now and I have managed to acquire a modest collection of vintage razors. I have not purchased any modern razors yet but I feel a Ralf Aust coming in the near future.

For me and acquiring so many razors it was the curiosity of shaving with 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, from there it was let’s try different grinds from there it was let’s try one from each well known city (Solingen, Sheffield, and Eskilstuna). I being a born and raised American I then felted obligated to try some of the American brands ( Torrey, GENCO , Shumate, Case, and sone of the hardware store offerings).

All of that to say, there is no method to my madness. I just usually decide on which razor I will use in the morning when I get ready for bed. I do have some that I prefer more than others but I try to use them all. As I sit here typing this I’m thinking I will use my Shumate in the morning
:shaving:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I feel exactly the same way, I've just not worded it as well as that. :D

I currently have 10 razors, and each has a "purpose". However, only one of these is a straight, plus there's a shavette too. So for me, it's just a matter of if I want a straight razor shave or not, and whether I want to bother stropping :)

Longer term, it's quite possible that I might pick up another few straights, but it will be a very limited array of Sheffield straights.
What is the scoop on Sheffield? I seem to favor them over Solingen but have no idea why. I have two or three and two more in the mail. English/Scott genetics maybe.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I too only shave once a day and I’ve been at str8 razor shaving for about two years now and I have managed to acquire a modest collection of vintage razors. I have not purchased any modern razors yet but I feel a Ralf Aust coming in the near future.

For me and acquiring so many razors it was the curiosity of shaving with 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, from there it was let’s try different grinds from there it was let’s try one from each well known city (Solingen, Sheffield, and Eskilstuna). I being a born and raised American I then felted obligated to try some of the American brands ( Torrey, GENCO , Shumate, Case, and sone of the hardware store offerings).

All of that to say, there is no method to my madness. I just usually decide on which razor I will use in the morning when I get ready for bed. I do have some that I prefer more than others but I try to use them all. As I sit here typing this I’m thinking I will use my Shumate in the morning
:shaving:
I did American this morning. I'm feeling like Sheffield tomorrow

Once i started really wet shaving (not using carts), i wished i could shave everyday. Have to wait at least two to three days minimum or my face kills me.

Really itching to have a go with my straight.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
What is the scoop on Sheffield? I seem to favor them over Solingen but have no idea why. I have two or three and two more in the mail. English/Scott genetics maybe.

To be honest, I have no idea how they all compare, Steve. I don't know who's razors were better or who's were the poor substitutes. There'll be a lot of members here whose knowledge will be far more than mine. The only reason I'd be sticking to Sheffield, is I was made there too.

I know a little of how the industry worked, and how a lot of stuff was made by other companies and just given a different tang stamp, or one company might have made the forged blanks for several others to finish (which was fairly common across the trades), but when it comes to straight razors specifically, you probably know way more than me. :)

I only have one, and I picked that one because Edgar Allen was a company I recognised, and had been in their works a couple of times (though it was different companies operating there when I went in). I've no idea whether they're razors were good, bad, on indifferent. Likewise, many of the names I see on razors mean little to me, and I've no idea if they were established companies with lots of craftsmen, or just one of the Little Mesters that operated out of tiny workshops on their own. I can't offer any juicy insider tips I'm afraid.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks. I’m new to straights and know little about different brands. I got a Sefton which I can’t find any info except it is Sheffield. It was highly polished and looked to be in excellent shape and went for a really good price. It will be here in a couple of days. I just watch the bay and look for bargains and there are many. I have a NOS Bengall on the way - most I’ve paid for a razor and that will be the last purchase for a while. I read some stuff on Sheffield last night. There was a lot on Sheffield’s innovation in steel production but nothing specific to razors. My target is to get about a dozen good shavers and I’m almost there. I’m not a collector - just looking for a good shave. I’m going to sell off my various Gold Dollars and all but one DE to recoup my recent acquisition costs. I lean toward the minimalist.

I currently have 7 razors in my rotation, along with a few others that don't get used for one reason or another. I have two vintage razors that shave better than the others so they get used more often but I use the others from time to time when the mood strikes. I also have a 7/8 Bluesman and 7/8 Koraat, both amazing razors that are far better than anything else I've ever owned. I use both of those from time to time but prefer to keep them aside for when I want a premium shaving experience.

That said, yesterday I shaved with the first straight I ever bought, my 5/8 Dovo Best. It's fun to break it out from time to time just for kicks. It's also my test bunny for new hones and honing techniques.

It's just a random thing for me. I have 6 straights and I only shave with a straight about once a week, so I just try to use something different than the last time.

Ok....so a bit nerdy here. I have 11 blades. 7 are the same (seven day set) and 4 from random makers. I shave 6 days a week usually with Saturday off.

Monday to Friday - rotate through the 7 day set by day. Using Saturday or Sunday on a week day does bug me a little I'll admit. :em2900:

Sundays - pick one of the 4 random makers based on preference that day.

I like to open up my razor storage boxes and choose the one that suits the mood of the morning. If im hime that could be a nice oldy or a custom.

When im on the road its one of three out of my 10 or so road razors.

You can never have enough razors in my opinion.....lol.

I like to open up my razor storage boxes and choose the one that suits the mood of the morning. If im hime that could be a nice oldy or a custom.

When im on the road its one of three out of my 10 or so road razors.

You can never have enough razors in my opinion.....lol.

I'm curious how you chose which razors you'd use for travel: good shavers that could be easily replaced (if lost or damaged), a variety of grinds for different amounts of aggressiveness or something else entirely?

Last edited:
7/8 Custom Koraat:

I'm curious how you chose which razors you'd use for travel: good shavers that could be easily replaced (if lost or damaged), a variety of grinds for different amounts of aggressiveness or something else entirely?

I mainly have set aside stuff that is very "common" for the road....you know those razors you see "6 of" all the time on the bay that can be had at a reasonable price....like a 5/8 Schumate etc.....good shavers but not mucho $$$ or hard to replace. I also have one or 2 that are a poor representation of what their former self was. ( no more gold etching etc )

I mainly have set aside stuff that is very "common" for the road....you know those razors you see "6 of" all the time on the bay that can be had at a reasonable price....like a 5/8 Schumate etc.....good shavers but not mucho $$$ or hard to replace. I also have one or 2 that are a poor representation of what their former self was. ( no more gold etching etc )

Thanks, that's kind of what I assumed. I've been considering what I'd use for travel and came to similar conclusions, I want decent shavers but nothing that couldn't be easily replaced. The closest I've got to that now is a worn, Dremel scarred (previous owner) Henckels 13 and a very user grade 02 Bismarck. They shave "alright" at best, definitely not up to my Red Imp and Henckels 472 razors.

Yikes I have about 150 straights plus dozens of other shavers from fatboys to Stahly vibrating razors...
I am so sad I have a spread sheet, much to my wifes amusement, to record when they were used and when they were honed....but I still have urges ..like today is a Tanifuji day :)

Top Bottom