What's new

How do you build a crispy taco?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The sequence of adding ingredients could be disaster or victory when building a crispy taco. It could hold together almost perfectly or fall apart in your lap.

I love a good crispy corn shell taco. I prefer the flat bottom ones that don't fall over. Although mine has fallen over...dang it!

Tell us your sequence of ingredients.
...then there's how to eat it...tilt the taco or tilt the head?

20200506_180638.jpg
20200506_180643.jpg

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My wife uses the lid to a Spam can for forming the taco shell when she fries the corn tortillas.
I use cabbage or lettuce leaves most of the time.

Meat
Cheese
Hot sauce
Cabbage tomato onion
Sour cream

That’s Marty’s taco.

I'm having one right now. Free standing (flat bottom) shells, meat with Taco seasoning, lettuce, cheese, hot sauce, crispy shells for sure and tilt the head to eat. I don't overfill the shell so it all holds together.

I use reasonable mild seasoning and sauce.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ha..this is a lot fun.

1. Taco shell heated in the oven (or fried if you're talented).

2. cheese first in the bottom...its the glue to keep the shell together.

3. Avocado...it cools the cheese slightly to create a bond from shell to cheese.

4. Meat. Your meat needs to be slight wet but not too wet.

5. Chilies or hot sause

6. Your favorite lettuce

7. Diced garden fresh tomatoes (steps 6 and 7 are interchangeable)

8. More cheese

9. More hot sauce.

10. A squeeze of lime juice.

It doesn't matter if you tilt the taco or your head....lol.

Last...Ya gotta eat a taco on a paper plate.

I will probably be banned for saying this... the first thing I do is bust the taco shell in half and set it in a large shallow dish. I then add lettuce, meat, cheese, olives, sour cream, salsa or pico de gallo and whatever else is handy.

I don't tilt my head or the taco - I use a fork (less mess).

.ps My wife is very allergic to avocados (like anaphylactic shock) so I don't let them in the house but if I am traveling by myself avocados will be added.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Meat - cheese - salsa or pico - a little lettuce - tomato - avocado

Mom always added diced onion and refried beans went in first.

Tilt head and taco. Still spill a lot.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I will probably be banned for saying this... the first thing I do is bust the taco shell in half and set it in a large shallow dish. I then add lettuce, meat, cheese, olives, sour cream, salsa or pico de gallo and whatever else is handy.

I don't tilt my head or the taco - I use a fork (less mess).

.ps My wife is very allergic to avocados (like anaphylactic shock) so I don't let them in the house but if I am traveling by myself avocados will be added.

Ha. I find my results frequently being eaten with a fork. When I make tacos at home I never have sour cream. Just meat, cheese (old cheddar unusually) Salsa and lettuce. Sometimes olives.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
1. Get in car.
2. Drive to town.
3. Order at drive-through.
4. Drive back home.
5. Cuss restaurant for screwing up your order.
6. Put taco in microwave to heat back up.
7. Eat soggy taco.

1588891966029.png

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Not a taco person, but regarding the last point - aren’t you supposed to “bow to the taco”?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My special meat mixture of hamburger, refried beans, and select spices, then sour cream, chopped onions, shredded lettuce, homemade pico de gallo, and cheese. And beer...there must be beer.

1588981855642.png

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Beans in Tacos???? First it was chili, now tacos, when will beans stop!

Er . . . na . . . beans are good.

The sequence of adding ingredients could be disaster or victory when building a crispy taco. It could hold together almost perfectly or fall apart in your lap.

I love a good crispy corn shell taco. I prefer the flat bottom ones that don't fall over. Although mine has fallen over...dang it!

Tell us your sequence of ingredients.
...then there's how to eat it...tilt the taco or tilt the head?

It's not like they're expensive.

View attachment 1097556

Well, maybe, but not forever I hope.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Why wasn’t this posted on Taco Tuesday, which was also Cinc de Mayo? You should be ashamed. 😂

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Beans in Tacos???? First it was chili, now tacos, when will beans stop!

Er . . . na . . . beans are good.

Beans don't belong within 1,000 MILES of chili. But in tacos, burritos, and tamales they are acceptable. I have some bean and jalapeno tamales in the fridge now awaiting getting et. There are also pork, beef, chicken, and pollo en salsa verde tamales in the freezer.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Man . . . I think this is a slippery slope.

I think you anti beans in chili guys are loosing the battle . . . :) (kinda kidding but even yet . . . not in my taco)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Man . . . I think this is a slippery slope.

I think you anti beans in chili guys are loosing the battle . . . :) (kinda kidding but even yet . . . not in my taco)
Beans in tacos isn’t odd. Remember where tacos come from. A lot of these families don’t always have the luxury of beef, which is much more expensive than refried beans.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
When I was a kid, we had more bean tacos for lunch than about anything else. Three or four packed in your lunch sack. Tacos for us were like sandwiches. To go food. Really not eaten for dinner. Occasionally you would get some pork, chicken, or beef if there were leftovers from dinner but leftovers didn't happen a lot with 10 mouths around the table.

The beans started cooking on Sunday and each day a little more lard was added. Tortillas made fresh almost every day. One day flour, the next day corn.

There was a time in my life where I would have been happy to never see another taco! Life often comes full-circle though. I wish I could have just one more of my mom's bean tacos.

Top Bottom