What's new

How do you brew Pu'erh in tablets?

Hi all! Dear friends, tell me exactly how you brew Pu'erh Tuo Cha (I call them pills - I don't know if that's right :) )
Perhaps you know of sites that talk about it?
menghai-ripe-tuo-cha-pu-erh-998_tab7-3w.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Perhaps the usual way in a gaiwan, depending on size.

I'm a puerh fan, but use larger (conventional) discs.

AA

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hi all! Dear friends, tell me exactly how you brew Pu'erh Tuo Cha (I call them pills - I don't know if that's right :) )

I'm going to assume that these "pills" are about the right size for "single serving" use in a yixing pot or gaiwan.
1611250557633.png
1611250588385.png

But you could use any contraption that lets you combine water and leaves briefly, and then separate them ... and then combine the leaves with new, fresh water for a second (and subsequent) steepings.

1611250693089.png

Your first steeping should be very short, and just toss this one (basically washing the pesticides off the tea). Then a short infusion ... drink ... another slightly longer ... drink ... and so forth. Do each infusion for "long enough" to make a pleasant cup of tea ... any longer and it is unpleasantly strong. As you go on with multiple steepings (aka "infusions") you will need to steep for longer and longer, and eventually the tea will be played out.

I'm going to assume that these "pills" are about the right size for "single serving" use in a yixing pot or gaiwan.
View attachment 1211407View attachment 1211409

But you could use any contraption that lets you combine water and leaves briefly, and then separate them ... and then combine the leaves with new, fresh water for a second (and subsequent) steepings.

View attachment 1211410

Your first steeping should be very short, and just toss this one (basically washing the pesticides off the tea). Then a short infusion ... drink ... another slightly longer ... drink ... and so forth. Do each infusion for "long enough" to make a pleasant cup of tea ... any longer and it is unpleasantly strong. As you go on with multiple steepings (aka "infusions") you will need to steep for longer and longer, and eventually the tea will be played out.

Is a pesticide rinse neccesary for organically grown tea as well ??

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Is a pesticide rinse neccesary for organically grown tea as well ??
If you trust the tea, no.

I get most of my tea from Yunnan Sourcing, from their "house brand" which they work very hard to test and ensure it's "clean". But generally I'd give teas a wash ... even if they are not getting pesticide, they are out in the open and if nothing else, birds are going to fly by and poop.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

I get most of my tea from Yunnan Sourcing, from their "house brand" which they work very hard to test and ensure it's "clean". But generally I'd give teas a wash ... even if they are not getting pesticide, they are out in the open and if nothing else, birds are going to fly by and poop.

Correct and great info, @Doc4 ! The hot water rinse cleans but is too quick to steep. Assume tea cakes are dusty and dirty... at best.

But after reading that tea bags were "floor sweepings"... I'd rather have real good tea leaves and see it washed with my own eyes! Dollar Store teabags make me shudder. 🙏🤯🥴👿

I use that yellow cup method above. A very good strainer cup. Multiple infusions on calm mornings.

Drinking too much espresso these days. But my puerh cakes are getting better with time!

AA

After reading this, I decided to check out Yunnan Sourcing. After browsing a bit, I stumbled upon an Oolong called "King of Duck **** aroma." I am sold.

View attachment 1209497

I've been told that the general rule is is 8 grams of tea with 150 ml of water but personally I find it too strong, you might want to start with 5 or 6 grams (not sure how big are your "pills", as I had to broke mine with a knife). Water temperature depends on whether you're brewing raw or ripe pu-erh, for large leaves it's 100ºC, for smaller it will be around 90ºC.
More detailed info from teasenz:
  • Ripe, large leaf: 100ºC
  • Ripe, small leaf: 95ºC
  • Raw, large leaf, >3 years old: 100ºC
  • Raw, small & large leaf; <3 years old: 95ºC
  • Raw, small leaf, <3 years old: 90ºC

As for a website, I have always used the manual 4doc linked to. So I wash leaves about 20 seconds. The second infusion is to be drank. I'm not rinsing too much as well, though I know some people prefer third infusion.

Top Bottom