What's new

How do you apply your AS?

I used to apply my AS by pouring it in one palm of my hand and then immediately slapping and spreading it on my face figuring I wouldn't waste as much with this method. However, after trying an AS that gave me a burn that was a bit too intense, I tried pouring the after shave on one palm, slapping and rubbing my hands together for 2-3 seconds and then spreading my palms across my face. The result was that previous aftershaves which were too strong now felt comfortable going on.

How do you apply AS?

If it is an artisan made AS I shake the bottle, pour into my palm, rub my hands together, and apply to my face and neck. If there is too much I will extend to my chest. But then again, there are AS in which I could bathe.

Wet my hands with tap-cold water, then add several shakes of aftershave, more or less depending on the brand and my mood, rub my hands together and apply to my face and neck. With many bottles you have to use your index finger to control the amount coming out of the reducer.

Wet my hands with tap-cold water, then add several shakes of aftershave, more or less depending on the brand and my mood, rub my hands together and apply to my face and neck.

Pretty much this.

Damp hands make spreading much easier. A couple dashes in the palm of one hand, a very quick rub to the other, then straight to the face and neck, mixture of patting and rubbing. If there happens to be anything left and I’ve hit those spots, I use up what is left on the tops of my hands and my wrists.

Pour in palm of one hand, rub palms together, apply to face and neck with both hands. Except for my Tabac, which has an atomizer.

I have to amend my earlier post. I noticed in yesterday's shave that I hold the bottle in my right hand, pour it in the palm of my left hand, and apply to left side of face...then repeat on right side. So, I don't rub my palms together after all.

I have to amend my earlier post. I noticed in yesterday's shave that I hold the bottle in my right hand, pour it in the palm of my left hand, and apply to left side of face...then repeat on right side. So, I don't rub my palms together after all.

This is what I used to do but have found that rubbing palms together before face application mellows out some stronger AS, the ones with higher menthol/fragrance/alcohol etc.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I pour the splash into my left hand and apply it with both hands, trying not to rub my hands together or anything of that sort. I want the splash to have every opportunity to burn like blazes. Well, I want it to have the opportunity if the opportunity presents itself, but I always hope my skin won't burn.

I use the splash as a feedback device. Really good shaves don't burn much. Bad shaves burn badly.

The splash is also to heal little cuts and nicks and irritation. I want that alcohol to do its job on my face and neck, and not be dissipated on my hands.

After I wipe the excess lather off my face, I rinse completely with cold water. Then, I dry my face and apply witch hazel. When it's dried, I put the splash on, and I follow the splash with moisturizer, usually Cremo Moisturizer.

I doubt there's any wrong way to do this, so I'm only saying how I do it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Often times a pump or two of moisturiser into the hand, then pour a little AS on and rub together before applying - covers two stages in one and/or creates your own balm on the fly!

Top Bottom