What's new

How do you apply your aftershave talc?

I have tried using talc after my shave for all its benefits. I've come across some issues I could use your help with. I've read several threads here on the subject, but some questions remain.

1) If you use talc after your shave, how do you apply it?

I've tried applying it like an aftershave splash, putting some in my hands, rubbing them together and then on the face. This seems OK, but it tends to waste quite a bit. I think I end up rinsing away more than ends up on my face. My wife got me a cosmetic brush to try, but it ends up flinging more in the air and making a mess. Ultimately, I'd like a nice even coat on the face with little waste and minimal mess. Any ideas on application would be greatly appreciated.

2) I hear some folks use things like Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder or Gold Bond. These powders aren't flesh tone (like Clubman). If I use a white powder, it's obvious - I look kind of ghostly. Do others who use white powders experience the same thing? Is there anything that can be done to reduce the ghostly appearance?

3) Clubman makes a "Shave Talc" and a "Finest Talc." I believe they're both flesh toned. What are the differences, if any? If you've tried both, which do you prefer, and why?

4) I've been eyeing some Old Spice talc on the 'Bay. Can anyone verify whether or not this is flesh tone or white?

Thanks in advance for any and all input, comments and opinions. My main interest is finding an application technique that doesn't waste much or leave much a of a mess behind. So, if you use talc as an aftershave, please share how you apply it.

Thanks!

Look for a "neck duster" at barber supply stores.
To apply talc to the face? Aren't the bristles on those things like 6" long?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but ... Before applying to the face, would you shake the talc directly onto the brush? Or maybe put some talc in a cup/mug or the palm of you had, and dip the brush into it? How do barbers apply talc to the brush?

Huh - I guess I'll have to check those out in person. In another thread, someone said they found those at Sally's. I'll have to make a trip - thanks!

Keep the ideas coming!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My barber uses a really big makeup brush for applying talc to the back of my neck after a shave. Different than the typical barber brush, this is a huge dense makeup brush, probably either black badger or synthetic. Might be able to find something similar.

My barber just put some talc into the bristles, and then brushed it on my neck.

Looking at some of the neck dusters, some have a receptacle in the brush which you load with talc.

I don't use any sort of talc but I can confirm I've also seen the Marvy neck dusters at Sally's. But beware of the Marvy shaving brush they sell! That was my 1st locally sourced shaving brush @ $4.95 but that was before joining B&B. The reviews are so bad and one guy was going to scrub his toilet with it before throwing it away, lol. Long story short, mine is unused and still in the box.

I've used the Old Spice talc in a small glass jar with pretty good success. I'll put one or two shakes in a hand, apply to one side of my face and spread it around. If I need more for the other side, I'll add another shake. Sometimes there's a puff of dust, but it's very minimal. Good luck finding something that works for you!

Cap'n, at one time, Palmolive had an aftershave talc, slightly beige colored.
I tried it but I felt that it was clogging my skin.
for me, a better alternative for getting rid of a sheen, is using an alum block or an alcoholic after shave.
but I don't have very oily skin, so I'm actually using moisturizers more often.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 149
This will sound pretty stupid, but I use an old sock to apply talc to my neck. I shake some talc into the sock, pat it onto my neck and store it in a small Tupperware container. I tried the duster brush, but it flung more talc into the air than onto me.

I use the Clubman Talc. I sprinkle a little around the neck and shoulder area. I use a Vie-Long horse hair brush for distribution. The brush is no longer in my shaving rotation. Works well for me.

Thanks everyone for your input, and apologies for my absence. Life can really get in the way of living! :)

I got some Clubman Finest Talc. It's not white, but it's not flesh-tone either. It's kind of a pale pink. I've been playing around with ways to apply it that gives an even coat with minimal mess. My wife gave me one of her short, wide-mouth 8 oz. Ball jars to put some in. This may sound crazy, but I'm actually applying it with a powder puff, doing an initial spread with my hands, and finishing off with a large cosmetic brush.

I still have trouble with some of the talc standing out because if its color. Does anyone know if Clubman Shave Talc (as opposed to their Finest Talc) in the Neutral Tint is colored any different? Better yet, does anyone have any Clubman Shave Talc they could part with a sample, or for trade or sale? I could trade my Clubman Finest for Clubman Shave!

I like the idea of using a sock/handkerchief as a rosin bag. I'll have to try that.

Thanks again for all the input.

I use a nice handkerchief to apply Clubman talc. Open it up pour in some talc and refold. It helps keep the powder from floating around and getting breathed in that way too. The talc goes where you want it to which is not always the case with a duster brush. I keep the handkerchief in a Bakelite jar with a cover about the size of a large container of Noxzema . I started out just keeping it in a small ziplock sandwich bag. The idea is to store it so the powder doesnt escape from the hankie.

I used to use a cut sock, then i used to get just as good results putting the tiniest put on my palm and rubbing my finger pads in it and then going to my face,

Top Bottom