What's new

How do they harvest badger bristles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still confused.

Meles Meles seems to have plenty of long hair to make brushes with:

full

While Melogale Moschata seems to have awfully short hair for that purpose.

full

:confused:

Nice Pics! I'd like a brush made from the top one please...it looks "nicer", but I know that of the brushes currently in mass production around 98% comes from the second picture with other "graded" hair mixed in...I bet Bernd knows...we should shoot him an email, and see what he says. I do know of one Plisson Custom that used Ratel hair, and was exceedingly white with Pure Black shafts...quite stunning, really...but at $2650 would be about $2000 out of my price range.

BTW...The poke at the Fins was in pure fun, but read later sounded like an insult so I would like to openly apologize. Sorry guys.

So those DNA guys actually tested hair from a Brush, eh? I wonder where the brush originated, what make it was, and what the brush looked & felt like. It would be interesting to know what species of Badger my Shavemac 23mm Grade 1 brush is made from...We need more of those in the world!:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW...The poke at the Fins was in pure fun, but read later sounded like an insult so I would like to openly apologize. Sorry guys.
There were no need for that, but you have been forgiven.
That article also says it is illegal in Netherlands possess brushes that are made of Eurasian badgers.
I wonder if drP knows that, maybe he will send his brushes to my vault. :001_rolle

Nice Pics! I'd like a brush made from the top one please...it looks "nicer", but I know that of the brushes currently in mass production around 98% comes from the second picture with other "graded" hair mixed in...
It's weird, I have 5 brushes, and none of the hair looks remotely like the ferret badger's hair.

I am delighted this thread has remained on topic and umm ...peaceful.

I would add that most small mammals have a summer and a winter coat.
Badgers are no exception and its the winter coat that is the most suitable for our hobby.

I desperately try to be as open minded as I can about other cultures. I try not to make any unfounded generalizations, as I am the target of them quite often living in Japan...

But after seeing pictures of Shanghai food markets, I am tempted to say No, there isn't.

If you're in Japan, you really should hop over to Shanghai to check out the markets yourself. They're awesome. My most vivid recollection of a wet market (open air market where animals are butchered upon request and meat and other stuff is sold) was standing next to a dead goat and looking across the street into a Starbuck's... :blush:

If you're in Japan, you really should hop over to Shanghai to check out the markets yourself. They're awesome. My most vivid recollection of a wet market (open air market where animals are butchered upon request and meat and other stuff is sold) was standing next to a dead goat and looking across the street into a Starbuck's... :blush:

LOL...That would be kinda freaky! I was young when we lived in China, but I remember that there were no markets with frozen food in our town...if you wanted Chicken you picked the one you wanted and then carried home the gutted, and sometimes, plucked bird...

God Bless Stater Bros Markets!

:thumbup:

Is there any place that doesn't have a Starbucks?

A couple years ago, I was in Dubai standing next to some Bin Laden Group workers looking across the street at a Starbucks.

I'm sure there was something poignant about it, but beats me exactly what.

From what small amount of info I can find out online I think the idea that every Badger is killed first for their meat and second for their fur is not entirely accurate.
EDIT for content>JFR
I can't find any source that is definitive on the topic.
There are many on here who care about animal cruelty and many who think it's silly or misguided.
The argument usually goes something like we should care more for the Chinese people than the Badgers they are killing.
I don't know what's so wrong with caring about both, personally.
Given the fact I can't be assured how the animals are slaughtered for their skins, I myself, won't purchase another one. I was stupid enough to think of Badgers being shaved much like Sheep are sheared.
I can only admire someone who practices what he preaches and find myself respecting you for it. However, in order to validate your statement regarding your newly founded adversion to badger hair, I think you should promptly offer up whatever badger brushes you now have to the members of B&B at a reasonable price. It may save another badger's life. :biggrin:

From what's been said in this thread, the hair seems to be purely a byproduct of the badgers killed for food and to save crops. With that in mind, not buying badger brushes wouldn't keep any badgers from dieing.

Thus, for animal cruelty, not buying badger brushes doesn't help anything since the badgers die anyways and the hair is collected postmortem. For environmentalism, not buying a badger brush just means the hair is getting thrown away and wasted and increases the demand for the components of the synthetic brushes and the processes required to make them.

While none of this really has any bearing on what brush I would buy, from where I'm standing there doesn't seem to be any logical backing for a moral objection.

I seriously doubt badger is the food of choice for these people. They probably eat the meat because it's a by product of the hair. AND, more pertinantly, I bet the get a hell of a lot more money for the pelt than the meat.

From what's been said in this thread, the hair seems to be purely a byproduct of the badgers killed for food and to save crops. With that in mind, not buying badger brushes wouldn't keep any badgers from dieing.

Thus, for animal cruelty, not buying badger brushes doesn't help anything since the badgers die anyways and the hair is collected postmortem. For environmentalism, not buying a badger brush just means the hair is getting thrown away and wasted and increases the demand for the components of the synthetic brushes and the processes required to make them.

While none of this really has any bearing on what brush I would buy, from where I'm standing there doesn't seem to be any logical backing for a moral objection.

This is a point I've been pondering lately. How do you balance the use of a petroleum product (Synthetic brush) with an animal product (Badger brush)? Animal cruelty issues? Perhaps. Are they (badgers) a renewable resource? Perhaps. Is a synthetic brush made from a renewable resource? Aside from the wood handle, no. So, perhaps the most environmentally friendly, animal friendly, approach is to use your hands to make lather. Bleh! Or maybe the "Shave cloth" the Method Shaving guru, Charles Roberts his pushing these days. Bleh again! I'm going to continue to use badger brushes until I see sound evidence otherwise.

LOL...alot of good comments in the thread! For any of you staunch environmentalists you can send me both your Badger and Synthetic Brushes..You know what they say...Beggars can't be choosers!

Send them to...

:biggrin:

Pure blasphemy! Chuck Norris isn't scared of anything! :lol::lol:

Hell, Chuck Norris's beard could kick a badgers @$$! :lol::lol:

Hahaha. Chuck Norris is so scared of badgers that he grew a beard. Any other way of shaving would be unmanly.

Or is it Chuck Norris has a beard because badgers are so scared of him, the hair in brushes falls out instead of touching his face. If Chuck Norris didn't want a beard, he could cut it off with a single swipe of his hand.

Anyway, even if it were possible to shave badgers, it still wouldnt be feasible. the pelts could be shaved and they are easier to handle.

I don't see the difference whether an animal is killed for meat or pelt if both are used. At least both are used. I feel the same about deer hunting. I dont do it, but if you go it shouldnt be for a trophy and not for meat. You better eat the meat.

I'm not saying anybody's opinion is wrong, just stating mine.

We might have to change the name of the site to synthetic and blade.

Darn it, I don't want to use canned goo.

This is a point I've been pondering lately. How do you balance the use of a petroleum product (Synthetic brush) with an animal product (Badger brush)? Animal cruelty issues? Perhaps. Are they (badgers) a renewable resource? Perhaps. Is a synthetic brush made from a renewable resource? Aside from the wood handle, no. So, perhaps the most environmentally friendly, animal friendly, approach is to use your hands to make lather. Bleh! Or maybe the "Shave cloth" the Method Shaving guru, Charles Roberts his pushing these days. Bleh again! I'm going to continue to use badger brushes until I see sound evidence otherwise.

Badgers are a renewable source as long as there is a pair of Mr & Ms.badger :wink:

Great thread. I always assumed the badgers were deceased before the hair was shaved. OR, That there was a REALLY tough son- ofa- gun somewhere that did the shaving. :eek:

The destruction of badgers for the use of their hair in brushes was an ethical problem for me for a little while, but I got over it. I am a Buddhist and I value all life, so how can I get over something like this, you ask?
Well...

1. Badgers are a pest in mainland China and they destroy crops as well as creating problems and spreading disease amongst livestock. Their population is "controlled" by local communities under government mandate.

2. The unfortunate badgers that are dispatched by the farmers in these rural areas are eaten for food, and their pelts will either be used for clothing, shaving brushes, or they will be discarded and wasted.

3. Badgers are carniverous and as such they need to destroy life in order to perpetuate their own survival. It is natural, but badgers aren't exactly humane to their prey.

4. Badgers are free range animals. They are not kept in cages to be exploited.

It is a shame that these beings must die, but it isn't to make shaving brushes. Shaving brushes are a by-product of materials that would otherwise go to waste.

Thats how I justify it anyway, I guess.

The destruction of badgers for the use of their hair in brushes was an ethical problem for me for a little while, but I got over it. I am a Buddhist and I value all life, so how can I get over something like this, you ask?
Well...

1. Badgers are a pest in mainland China and they destroy crops as well as creating problems and spreading disease amongst livestock. Their population is "controlled" by local communities under government mandate.

2. The unfortunate badgers that are dispatched by the farmers in these rural areas are eaten for food, and their pelts will either be used for clothing, shaving brushes, or they will be discarded and wasted.

3. Badgers are carniverous and as such they need to destroy life in order to perpetuate their own survival. It is natural, but badgers aren't exactly humane to their prey.

4. Badgers are free range animals. They are not kept in cages to be exploited.

It is a shame that these beings must die, but it isn't to make shaving brushes. Shaving brushes are a by-product of materials that would otherwise go to waste.

Thats how I justify it anyway, I guess.

Nice perspective Zen Master but is it similar to what might have been used to argue in favor of Buffalo Robes in the 1800's? I suppose as long as badgers aren't endangered I'm on board with making brushes from what's left of them. In that sense maybe they are like buffaloes - don't waste any part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom