What's new

How do I sterilize a razor?

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if there's another thread on this topic but would a good procedure for sterilizing a razor be:

1. Clean away gunk with soap and water.
2. Boil in pot of water... or place in pressure-cooker for ~20 minutes.
3. Clean with bleach solution (1:1 bleach:water)
4. Rinse liberally with water.

Comments, please.

- ice

Boiling and bleaching can be perilous to the finish of some razors. You're better off using Barbicide or Marvycide (in solution as directed) to disinfect.

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if there's another thread on this topic but would a good procedure for sterilizing a razor be:

1. Clean away gunk with soap and water.
2. Boil in pot of water... or place in pressure-cooker for ~20 minutes.
3. Clean with bleach solution (1:1 bleach:water)
4. Rinse liberally with water.

1. this will not kill very many germs
2. not a bad plan, will hurt gold plated items
3. no bleach ever, it's a base and will corrode many finishes
4. see number 1

best plan is buy barbicide and soak for 10 minutes
ken

Comments, please.

- ice[/QUOTE]

STERILIZE? clean it first place into a baggy , then Autoclave for the autoclave's recommended duration. remove from baggy voila sterilized.

STERILIZE? clean it first place into a baggy , then Autoclave for the autoclave's recommended duration. remove from baggy voila sterilized.

It would be the unusual "baggie" that would survive an autoclave.

Luckily since it is the blade that does the cutting, not the razor, being clean (rather than sterile, which it won't be the second you pick it up with your fingers) is good enough. Of course if you are talking about a straight razor (with no moving parts) then heck you could hit it with a blow torch.

It would be the unusual "baggie" that would survive an autoclave.

Luckily since it is the blade that does the cutting, not the razor, being clean (rather than sterile, which it won't be the second you pick it up with your fingers) is good enough. Of course if you are talking about a straight razor (with no moving parts) then heck you could hit it with a blow torch.

A bag in the autoclave is not too unusual really.
proxy.php

Sterilizing is not the same as sanitizing, as simple as that, and the OP did ask how to "Sterilize" a razor.

Agree that sterilizing a razor is very difficult and not necessary. Autoclaving is the only reliable way to sterilize a razor; once you take it out of the container in which it was autoclaved, it is no longer sterile.

Sanitizing a razor is pretty simple. Clean it with soap and water, scrub it with a toothbrush. Spray it with Scrubbing Bubbles, allow it to sit on the razor for 5-10 minutes, then scrub and rinse off. Dip it in 70% isopropyl alcohol and allow it to air dry.

Voila! Done.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
A lot of good answers there.

I use Marvicide to disenfect my razors every time I change a blade. It comes in an aerosol can is very easy to use and kills damn near every germ.

I use Barbicide every few days, whenever I'm ready to change a blade. It kills germs and the razor comes out clean of soap scum!
You can't beat the price either. You only need a little over a cap full along with a small jar of water and the solution lasts for quite a while. The small bottle of Barbicide will literally last me for years!

I use Marvicide to disenfect my razors every time I change a blade. It comes in an aerosol can is very easy to use and kills damn near every germ.

This is entirely unnecessary; and I don't mean to be rude but to me it sounds like it borders on OCD.

That's interesting, it never occurred to me soak them every few days. I just clean them up with some scrubbing bubbles, soak them in barbicide and occasionally shine them up with some maas. After the initial clean they never see barbicide again.

i use a hot water rinse after every shave and when /if i get soap scum build up i get out the toothpaste,on new/used razors i use a boraxo bath and a good scrubbing followed by a dip in iso.its not like you have to autoclave them or such

Waste of product and effort. Unless you are sharing it. After all, nobody does that with their toothbrush. Everybody just rinses those and puts them away wet.

And your unsanitized shaving brush will nullify the effort at being germ free.

Last edited:
Top Bottom