What's new

How do I restore this old razor?

A relative sent me what looks like an old Gillette adjustable? I’m not sure. It’s in bad shape. Why is it green? Is it possible to restore this razor? If so, how?

83ED86D1-0EA0-4EDA-92F0-0647F8D08FA1.jpeg99CC6395-5F79-4F1B-9D00-80EF613CE569.jpegA5CB47E7-612A-4B52-8676-ED47F5C41AB8.jpeg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Ewww, gross -- send it to me and I'll bury it for you. Just kidding, it will clean up shockingly well.

I start with Scrubbing Bubbles (SB) -- the one without bleach. I have a bunch of cleaned out yogurt containers that I use for razor cleaning bowls, but pretty much any container will do. I put in the container and cover it with SB and let it soak for about 5 minutes. Then I use an old toothbrush and give it a good scrubbing with the SB on it. Then after rinsing the SB and grime off, I'd probably let it soak in very hot (but not boiling) water for about 10 minutes. After that, if there is still some scum, I'd do the SB and toothbrush and hot water soak again. You may need to do this a few times given the gunk on the razor. Once you've scrubbed off the scum/gunk, I would hit it again with some Dawn dish washing liquid and give it a close look....also try moving the adjustment knob while looking at the rails on the side to see if they go up and down. Assuming they work, then you may want to hit it with some flitz to give it some shine.

By the way: the SB will remove the painted numbers on the dial, so if you don't want to lose those, you may want to just stick with Dawn dish washing detergent. Hope this helps -- and I'm sure others will have other techniques you may want to try. But that stuff will come off the razor....I've had a couple like that and with some elbow grease, I've managed to get them clean.

That razor looks like it was found in a sunken shipwreck or something!
But yeah, I'm sure it'll clean up fine with that method described above.

EDIT: It doesn't seem like I'm far from the truth. When searching for "green rust" I found out that if something made out of metal is left to corrode somewhere where there isn't much oxygen, like in water, it might come out with green rust. Not 100% sure if it's green rust on yours but if so, it's probably been in water while rusting.

It's a Gillette Slim Adjustable by the way. They were made between 1961-68.

Last edited:
That razor looks like it was found in a sunken shipwreck or something!
But yeah, I'm sure it'll clean up fine with that method described above.

EDIT: It doesn't seem like I'm far from the truth. When searching for "green rust" I found out that if something made out of metal is left to corrode somewhere where there isn't much oxygen, like in water, it might come out with green rust. Not 100% sure if it's green rust on yours but if so, it's probably been in water while rusting.

It's a Gillette Slim Adjustable by the way. They were made between 1961-68.
Thanks. Very interesting.

Ewww, gross -- send it to me and I'll bury it for you. Just kidding, it will clean up shockingly well.

I start with Scrubbing Bubbles (SB) -- the one without bleach. I have a bunch of cleaned out yogurt containers that I use for razor cleaning bowls, but pretty much any container will do. I put in the container and cover it with SB and let it soak for about 5 minutes. Then I use an old toothbrush and give it a good scrubbing with the SB on it. Then after rinsing the SB and grime off, I'd probably let it soak in very hot (but not boiling) water for about 10 minutes. After that, if there is still some scum, I'd do the SB and toothbrush and hot water soak again. You may need to do this a few times given the gunk on the razor. Once you've scrubbed off the scum/gunk, I would hit it again with some Dawn dish washing liquid and give it a close look....also try moving the adjustment knob while looking at the rails on the side to see if they go up and down. Assuming they work, then you may want to hit it with some flitz to give it some shine.

By the way: the SB will remove the painted numbers on the dial, so if you don't want to lose those, you may want to just stick with Dawn dish washing detergent. Hope this helps -- and I'm sure others will have other techniques you may want to try. But that stuff will come off the razor....I've had a couple like that and with some elbow grease, I've managed to get them clean.
I’ll try this and see how it works. Thank you.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
***It will only shine like new if you post pictures once you're done...the other two gentlemen neglected to mention that fact. You must post pictures***

Green is the brass corrosion coming thru the nickel plating. Before doing the Flintstone cleaning procedure listed above, dip a toothbrush in vinegar and quickly scrub down all the green areas to loosen up the corrosion. Do not soak it in vinegar, since it will remove any nickel plating.

After all wet cleaning is done, go over all surfaces with a Dremel bristle brush on medium speed (NOT a stainless or brass brush, but the nylon or better natural bristle). This will give you an initial polish before continuing on to using Flitz.

Important: Pictures must be posted afterward, otherwise, all corrosion and dirt will reappear all over the razor ...

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing the photos after the cleanup. Just don’t use anything too harsh. I have used harsh chemicals in the past and caused some damage to the razor during the clean up.

It is a Super 84, the second best shaver out of my whole rotation. I agree with all the cleaning suggestions except for using a Dremel as not to remove the anodized black finish on the aluminum handle.

Scrubbing bubbles won’t hurt anything as long as you don’t use the bleach version and don’t soak it. Use a brush with the SB and it will be fine.

I also don’t recommend boiling that handle.

Edit.

Looking at your pictures again, that is a Slim. All suggestions are fine. That thing was so dirty, I thought it was a later Super 84 initially. That thing is dirty.

Don’t worry about the numbers, just clean it and get some Testors semi gloss black. Dab the paint on the numbers with a q-tip, wait a minute, then wipe off with paper towel.

A fine candidate for a replate. The green stuff is Verdigris, its appearing where there is plating loss down to the bare brass of the razor.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
A fine candidate for a replate. The green stuff is Verdigris, its appearing where there is plating loss down to the bare brass of the razor.
I don't think so. It doesn't make sense to me that there would be that much plating loss between the knurling. There wouldn't be that much plate loss in the recesses of the razor...We'll see what it looks like post cleaning, my hunch is that it will be a shining nickel plated masterpiece. Well, maybe not that dramatic but pretty nice looking despite the condition it is in precleaning.

Great suggestions above!!

I suggest starting with the ’milder’ treatments first (Dawn, Scrubbing Bubbles). Bet this will clean up well!

Definitely suggest starting with a good dawn scrub with a soft toothbrush, then trying a soak in some vinegar and salt if that doesn't make a difference.

That should expose the condition of the metal underneath the tarnish/patina/oxide, and we can look at options after it's clean.

I recently cleaned & replated an Old Type that looked like it was buried with Grandpa, then dug up several decades later. I'd never seen anything so dirty - apparently the original user never rinsed it off after use.

I'm looking for something cheap in that corroded condition. Old nickel can be removed by boiling in acetic acid. I've nickel plated parts before, but never an entire razor. Cleaning & polishing before replating is the hardest part of refurbishing an old razor.

Top Bottom