What's new

How do I make my dorm room smell nice?

I vacuum, dust and clean once or twice every week. but I want it to smell nice. Nothing too strong, and nothing too incense like. Hopefully it's something where I can just leave it there to its job.

What do you recommend?

You could get one of those plug in air fresheners that go off on a timer or sensor.
Personally I like using scented wax pellets in an oil burner. But that requires you to be there to keep an eye on the candle.

Or just a reed oil scenter. Like this:
proxy.php

You could get one of those plug in air fresheners that go off on a timer or sensor.
Personally I like using scented wax pellets in an oil burner. But that requires you to be there to keep an eye on the candle.

Or just a reed oil scenter. Like this:
proxy.php

I wouldn't even mind one of those scenters, but those I find tend to smell weird. A plug in one is probably what I'm looking for...

My girlfriend cant stand most commercial "scented" products, so we went in a different direction than stinking up the place with counter-smells.

We use one of those ionic generator air purifiers and it really does the job nicely. We have an Ionic Breeze type, but there are lots out there. We keep one in the room where our cat box is and we rarely if ever smell anything bad coming from in there.

I think there are small, relatively cheap ones at bed bath and beyond if you wanted to check one out without dropping $$$

Good luck, and happy de-stankifying!

I don't think dorm rooms are capable of smelling nice. You would need everybody in the building to not be a slob, and actually clean up after themselves. An impossible feat in my old dorms.

I prefer incense to air fresheners. You may want to check the rules though. Sometimes candles/incense are not permitted in dorms.

Don't leave dirty clothes around long. Wash them apprpriately and remember to dry thoroughly as damp clothes folded and put away smell musty and moldy.

Change your sheets (buy a coouple spares) often, and towels, and socks, stinky shoes

I don't think dorm rooms are capable of smelling nice. You would need everybody in the building to not be a slob, and actually clean up after themselves. An impossible feat in my old dorms.

One of my college friends actually had his room condemned. He was shocked as he said it was decorated "in the Early Madison Period" and he meant Oscar Madison.

Don't leave dirty clothes around long. Wash them apprpriately and remember to dry thoroughly as damp clothes folded and put away smell musty and moldy.

Change your sheets (buy a coouple spares) often, and towels, and socks, stinky shoes

One of my running friends was told by his roomie to leave his stinky shoes outside the room. The floor residents complained that his shoes were stinking up the hall, and he had to hang them out the window.

Don't forget the potpourri! I actually bought a bag of potpourri and glass jar for $1 each at the local dollar store and use it in my bedroom. A $1 bag will fill up the jar twice. (Obviously you can spend more $ on potpourri if you want too). Scent is very nice, natural (vs synthetic), and subtle.

Buy some carpet deodorizer to sprinkle on the carpet now and then b4 you vacuum. Buy some Zep spray odor neutralizer (Febreze knockoff from Home Depot) for the tough spots.

Is the bathroom down the hall?

I'd recommend a Scentsy warmer. I have absolutely no interest in the company, but my friend got me one, and it keeps my apartment smelling fresh. You can buy the warmers in varying sizes, depending on your needs. The warmer melts cubes of wax, which sit in a little bowl or tray. It essentially has the same effect as lighting a candle, but without the flame, and buying a $5 thing of the wax lasts as long or longer than most candles.

Also, there are tons of different scents to choose from, so you can change it up.

Scentsy is one of those things that women do, like Tupperware parties, jewelry parties, etc. I think you can order from the website without having to mess with that though.

This may be more hassle than you want to deal with, but just thought I'd throw my $.02 in.

Try and keep some airflow through the room, open a window or keep your door open as much as possible. I found in my dorm room that just having some airflow made a difference. Beyond that I suggest potpourri or the infusion stick scents, they have a much softer scent output than incenses and I just can't stand the smell of glade and frebreze products.

I'd bring over as many girls as possible. They usually smell nice, so they should in turn make your dorm smell nice too.

I'd bring over as many girls as possible. They usually smell nice, so they should in turn make your dorm smell nice too.

:thumbup1:

Great idea. I would also try to clean as much as possible, the sinks, drains, no food laying around etc. My wife cleans like crazy and now Im that way. Try the plug in air fresheners.

When I was in the Navy we used a dryer sheet pinned to a fan. It seemed to cover the odors in the barracks without smelling girly.

Top Bottom