What's new

How do I make a perfect old fashioned?

1. Start by pouring 2-4 ounces of bourbon or rye in a glass.
  2. Add large ice cube.
  3. Skip the rest of the ingredients and enjoy.
At least, this is how I do it.

Place a sugar cube in a rocks glass. In another glass, pour 3 oz rye or bourbon. Drink. Add 1/2 tsp water and a few shakes of Angostura bitters to the glass with the sugar. Add 3 oz bourbon to empty glass. Drink. Try to smash the sugar into the bitters with a wooden stick. Add 3 oz bourbon to the empty glass. Drink. Chop some fruit. It doesn’t matter, but people put fruit in this thing. Pour 3 oz bourbon into empty glass. Drink. Sit down on the couch. What a great couch. With pillows. Just gonna rest my eyes a bit.

Place a sugar cube in a rocks glass. In another glass, pour 3 oz rye or bourbon. Drink. Add 1/2 tsp water and a few shakes of Angostura bitters to the glass with the sugar. Add 3 oz bourbon to empty glass. Drink. Try to smash the sugar into the bitters with a wooden stick. Add 3 oz bourbon to the empty glass. Drink. Chop some fruit. It doesn’t matter, but people put fruit in this thing. Pour 3 oz bourbon into empty glass. Drink. Sit down on the couch. What a great couch. With pillows. Just gonna rest my eyes a bit.

A+ for effort :thumbup1: you have my respect and admiration !

So many variations...but the main elements are:
  • whiskey (bourbon, rye, Japanese...)
  • sweetener (sugar cube, simple syrup, maple syrup, etc...)
  • ice
  • bitters (Angostura, barrel-aged, old-fashioned bitters, etc... )
  • garnish (orange peel, lemon twist, cherry...)
Experiment and find what you love. I strongly suggest making an old-fashioned with any new whiskey you try (after first trying it neat of course). This is because it's a very simple drink that balances and softens the whiskey while allowing the characteristics of the whiskey to shine through without getting lost in other ingredients.

I make doubles. 2 sugar cubes. 4-5 dashes Angostura bitters plus 4-5 dashes Orange bitters and then muddle sugar cubes. 4oz+ of bourbon (FRYL or WT101) or rye (Baby Sazerac or WT101Rye). Stir. Add 1 large ice cube (I have 2”+ sphere molds). Stir to chill. No fruit salad added. Drink and make another.

Top Bottom