What's new

How do I know I’ve stropped correctly?

Hi All,

I’m a newbie, had my first SR shave today, just stropped to prepare for next time, I generally think I did ok but did lift the whole blade off once or twice, also just the shape of the blade means sometimes it’s hard to know that the spine is definitely in contact (although I think it was) due to the roundness.

I was wondering if there is a way afterwards to tell if rounding of the blade occurred l, it still seems to treetop ok.

Thanks!

In my experience (limited though it is), a successful treetop (1/4" off the skin surface with little/no resistance or sound) after stropping means you're good for a shave. Of course, the shave is the only true test.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You probably did okay, since the razor is definitely not dull. And the process is pretty simple, just a few things to keep in mind. Pull the strop fairly tight. Use light pressure, but not so light that you can't control the razor. Don't let the shoulder of the razor ride up on the strop. Use a bit of an X stroke. Google if you don't know what that is. Don't lift the spine off the strop, especially before lifting the edge off. Don't land the edge back on the strop if the spine is not already on it. Don't rush it. Take your time. You arent a cowboy movie actor, you are a shaver. If you are paying close attention to what you are doing, you are doing fine and you will do better next time and the next and the next.

I like to always keep the spine on the strop, and always flip the EDGE up and over, when changing directions prior to the next stroke. If you do this, and always keep the spine on the strop, and use some X stroke action, with proper strop tension and pressure you will not go wrong.

Brilliant thank you for the advice, I’m using a paddle strop at the moment, but would like to get a hanging strop at some point.

If the proof of the pudding is in the eating, then the proof of the stropping is in the shave. :001_cool:

Seriously, I would not worry too much about lifting the blade once or twice, as you put it, unless you lifted the blade spine first while still putting some weight on the edge.

Certain mistakes are to be expected in the beginning; after all “experience” is the sum of one’s mistakes, isn’t it?

B.

Brilliant thank you for the advice, I’m using a paddle strop at the moment, but would like to get a hanging strop at some point.

With a paddle strop you should be able to feel a change in the draw as you strop. It's hard to explain but it's all about the pressure. You need enough to maintain contact, but only just enough. When you get this right you can feel the shift on the edge of the blade. It feels like the friction is loosening. It's why I love paddle strops - because of the feedback you get.

The motion is subtly different to a hanging strop because the blade is traveling along a flat surface. It's like buttering bread with butter that has been sitting out all day. You don't need to press the butter into the bread just draw it across it.

As long as you have the spine turns going well, you are keeping the resort flat on the strop it is very difficult to roll the edge, so you are probably doing fine.

Thanks for the reassurance guys and I’ll try to feel for the change in draw on the strop, I guess a feel for it will come with experience.

Since your straight razor still treetops, you have not dulled the edge with your stropping.

• Use light to medium pressure.
  • Torque the edge slightly (just enough to maintain even contact with leather).
  • Listen to the sound of your stropping. Needless to say you should be in a quiet room when stropping (or honing). If the blade shaves well, replicate that same sound the next time you strop.
  • Keep the spine touching the leather at all times and you'd be okay.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If the proof of the pudding is in the eating, then the proof of the stropping is in the shave. :001_cool:

Seriously, I would not worry too much about lifting the blade once or twice, as you put it, unless you lifted the blade spine first while still putting some weight on the edge.

Certain mistakes are to be expected in the beginning; after all “experience” is the sum of one’s mistakes, isn’t it?

B.
Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've never seen such agreement on a B&B thread. Everybody's right about everything.

Don't lift the spine off the strop, especially before lifting the edge off. Don't land the edge back on the strop if the spine is not already on it. Don't rush it. Take your time. You aren't a cowboy movie actor, you are a shaver.

Especially Slash.

What you're doing seems to be working, right, so you're probably stropping well enough.

Since you have a paddle strop and are enjoying it, you might be interested in my strop.

Professional Strop.Tan.JPG ProfessionalStrop.Side.Brown..JPG

I use the Classic Edge Professional strop which has two sides. I can sit in my recliner and take my time stropping, and really see what I'm doing. I love the two leathers, too, because they feel different in their draws. No, I'm not saying this is the strop for anyone but me. Perhaps hanging strops are better, but this one seems to be working for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom