What's new

How do I keep my mirror from fogging when I shower?

I typically shave after showering. This causes my mirror to get completely fogged up. I tried a couple solutions I read online (rubbing soap or toothpaste on my mirror) but this just made a mess and didn't stop my mirror from fogging up. This is pretty annoying as I have to open the door for a while and wipe off the mirror every single time. Any tips?

Turn on an exhaust fan, crack a window to let some of the steam out. Anti-fog window cleaner (can only do so much, but with the first suggestion might work)

Try looking at your bathroom ventilation system, first. I had the same problem in my home for a few years. When I had my roof replaced in 2016 they also added insulation in the attic. I had them look at the vent system with my bathroom and they found that the exhaust tubing was just venting into the attic space, not out the vent! The contractor told me that it's a common problem in older houses. A couple of connectors and new tubing made a night and day difference. Some apartments have the same issue; totally inadequate venting or no venting at all.

Don

995EB467-BBCF-4E85-BD69-E380DAEAB94B.jpeg

Worth a try for $6.00

Turn on an exhaust fan, crack a window to let some of the steam out. Anti-fog window cleaner (can only do so much, but with the first suggestion might work)

Do they really make bathrooms that have windows? Doesn't sound very private o_O

I tried my fan but that doesn't do much.

Stop taking hot showers, crack open a window or leave the bathroom door open. The Rain-X stuff is interesting but who wants to reapply it every 2 weeks?

Do they really make bathrooms that have windows? Doesn't sound very private o_O

I tried my fan but that doesn't do much.

Yes, they have textured glass in them so you can't see in. Of course if you open them . . .

Sounds like your vent might not go outside (like poster above mentioned about his vent) if the fan doesn't do much. OH, turn on while you shower so it doesn't build up. Don't know if that is what you tried, so had to mention it

Back when I was scuba diving, we used to take half of a raw potato and rub it on the inside of our face masks to stop fogging. It worked pretty well then, but I've never tried it in the bathroom because I've lived in very dry climates since. I assume that you'd need to apply it to the mirror before you took your shower.

Try looking at your bathroom ventilation system, first. I had the same problem in my home for a few years. When I had my roof replaced in 2016 they also added insulation in the attic. I had them look at the vent system with my bathroom and they found that the exhaust tubing was just venting into the attic space, not out the vent! The contractor told me that it's a common problem in older houses. A couple of connectors and new tubing made a night and day difference. Some apartments have the same issue; totally inadequate venting or no venting at all.

Don

Yes, they have textured glass in them so you can't see in. Of course if you open them . . .

Sounds like your vent might not go outside (like poster above mentioned about his vent) if the fan doesn't do much. OH, turn on while you shower so it doesn't build up. Don't know if that is what you tried, so had to mention it

I live in a house built in the early 90s. Though the outside is probably actually a lot more humid than the parts of the house outside of my bathroom though due to the climate I live in and running the a/c.

I have noticed that my showers don’t need to be so hot and a side benefit is that my mirror seldom fogs up or maybe just a little bit.

However it is a moot point for me because I now shave before showering. I wet my face with warm water but do not use face soap because that strips the natural lubrication from the facial skin. After wetting my face I apply a layer of shaving soap or cream and let it sit while brushing my teeth. Then I shave using the regular methods.

No pre shave oil need because I didn’t strip the natural oil from my skin by washing with soap. Works for me.

I live in a house built in the early 90s. Though the outside is probably actually a lot more humid than the parts of the house outside of my bathroom though due to the climate I live in and running the a/c.

Interesting though this may be, you still haven't LOOKED into the system that might be causing your problem in the first place, and that is the fan. Bathroom fans should remove most, if not all of the humid steamy air from your shower. If it doesn't, there's something wrong. The fan could be mounted backwards. Maybe there's a ducting problem. The point I'm trying to make is check there first! Smearing junk on your mirror might be a temporary fix, but really, the venting sounds substandard, to me.

My mirror is CLEAN when I get out of the shower. It doesn't matter how hot the shower was, or how humid or cold it is outside. Now that the fan works, the bathroom is vented.

Don

Top Bottom