What's new

How do I get La Toja stick to work better?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
A stick means that you rub the soap on your face and lather on your face with a brush.

There are many non-lathering brushless shaving products, many are quite good. And many creams can be used brushless.
The other thing about sticks, at least for me, is that for the every day shahvers the shortness of the stubble means it's harder for the stick to lay down enough soap. I always get a better lather if I have two days of growth with a stick.

Overall though, I'd try to get a smaller synth for travel. There should be many around $20.

A solid recommendation. The travel synthetic from Maggards in the timberwolf fibre is very very nice. It's also the only synthetic I've ever used, so my points of comparison are minimal, but it keeps up with my Wee Scot, which I consider to be high praise, hehe.

This is another in the "are these people from Mars?" category.

First, I haven't had any trouble loading from stick/puck/bar to face and lathering with my hands. Won't say never had a problem there, but close enough. Since I use the steps in the OP, I can't help.

Second, I'm glad I seldom use my hands to accomplish this task anymore. A crappy soap of any kind via any container/mechanism and my hands are enough for at least a crappy lather. I spoil myself with good and inexpensive soaps designed for shaving, and a brush. Feeling pretty good about that set of choices.

Third, don't have enough growth the next day to assist building the lather? Oh, how you suffer. I mean, stipulating that's a thing. You poor dear. Figure it out, but yeah, that's quite a cross to bear, that whole some mornings I wake up without whiskers thing.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I need help/guidance. I have a La Toja stick and SR shave. I shaved with this La Toja stick many months ago and was not impressed so put it away. This morning I shaved with it again and was still not impressed.

I prep my face as I normally do. I apply the La Toja like my other sticks (ARKO, Palmolive, tallow Tabac, etc.) and face lather. I find that the La Toja works but is not a slick as my other sticks. La Toja also appears to dry quicker on my face.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need more/less water, more/less soap, thicker/thinner lather?

I am spending the next few days shaving with this La Toja stick to try and get it to work at least as well as my others.

I need help/guidance. I have a La Toja stick and SR shave. I shaved with this La Toja stick many months ago and was not impressed so put it away. This morning I shaved with it again and was still not impressed.

I prep my face as I normally do. I apply the La Toja like my other sticks (ARKO, Palmolive, tallow Tabac, etc.) and face lather. I find that the La Toja works but is not a slick as my other sticks. La Toja also appears to dry quicker on my face.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need more/less water, more/less soap, thicker/thinner lather?

I am spending the next few days shaving with this La Toja stick to try and get it to work at least as well as my others.
More soap. Load up as much as you can on your face. Then slowly add water. You might need to add some drops of water to your brush as you face lather. You can get excellent slick lather pretty easily from La Toja once you dial it in.

One thing I started doing after watching shaving videos is I got a cheap water mister. It sprays a light gentle mist of water all over my face and only cost like $6 on Amazon. This is great for face lathering, which I do exclusively.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning I used a wetter La Toja lather. That helped get it closer to my other shave stick results. It also helped with the drying out problem.

Tomorrow I'll go for the wettest of lathers (like I use to use when starting out in SR shaving) and see what happens.

IMG_20220720_072428.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've liked La Toja as well and even better than some of the ones you mentioned, @rbscebu. I think you will find the sweet spot.

Third, don't have enough growth the next day to assist building the lather? Oh, how you suffer. I mean, stipulating that's a thing. You poor dear. Figure it out, but yeah, that's quite a cross to bear, that whole some mornings I wake up without whiskers thing.
Forgot I even mentioned that I considered that a downside to sticks, but I do. I don't have a light beard. I can shave daily with the R41 without irritation and so on, but I do find for me that shave sticks work better with longer stubble. So if I go two days or use a milder razor that doesn't shave as close, then no problem, but sticks for daily use with an R41, not so great. Horses for courses.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is another in the "are these people from Mars?" category.

First, I haven't had any trouble loading from stick/puck/bar to face and lathering with my hands. Won't say never had a problem there, but close enough. Since I use the steps in the OP, I can't help.
I think the mineral salts in LaToja interfere with my ability to just use my hands to lather it. On our recent trip I used LaToja without a brush because we were pulling out for home and I didn't want a wet badger getting mildewy or funky.

I rubbed it on my face, and tried to hand lather. Epic fail: too dry. Then I rubbed a bunch on my hands and really created a nice, decent enough lather. Great shave followed. I did have to use more water than I expected. Hands ain't as good at retaining water as a brush is?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think the mineral salts in LaToja interfere with my ability to just use my hands to lather it. On our recent trip I used LaToja without a brush because we were pulling out for home and I didn't want a wet badger getting mildewy or funky.

I rubbed it on my face, and tried to hand lather. Epic fail: too dry. Then I rubbed a bunch on my hands and really created a nice, decent enough lather. Great shave followed. I did have to use more water than I expected. Hands ain't as good at retaining water as a brush is?
Right now - and on and off - my main bath bar is La Toja. It is a nice bath bar, but if I decide to go for scent, hard to beat Caswell Massey Number Six, Sandalwood or Jockey Club. They make a giant soap on a rope version which the missus gets when she likes me ;)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Right now - and on and off - my main bath bar is La Toja. It is a nice bath bar, but if I decide to go for scent, hard to beat Caswell Massey Number Six, Sandalwood or Jockey Club. They make a giant soap on a rope version which the missus gets when she likes me ;)
Mine likes me lots more when I'm sleepin' ! Rough, I got it rough I tell ya!

Mine likes me lots more when I'm sleepin' ! Rough, I got it rough I tell ya!
I would say my sweet, young and lovely likes me better when I'm sleeping, but she says I snore!

To stay on the subject of the thread: My vote is for a cheap synthetic brush to build lather with La Toja

Top Bottom