What's new

How Do I Clean My Aristocrat Case?

I recently purchased a mid 1940's Aristocrat.

I was looking at the case and I'm thinking I'd like to clean exteriors of the case. I'd like to be very gentle with this process. The lettering and painted(?) piping seem like they could be rather fragile. What is this material? If I knew what it was made of I may be able to determine how best to clean it. Was it a deep rose colored when new. What color are painted Gillette label and piping.

Methods? What am I really accomplishing. I'd like to think it might help preserve the material or brighten the color?

Of course, doing nothing is an option.

Recommendations?

Thanks

Dirty
IMG_7386.jpeg
IMG_7387.jpeg
IMG_7389.jpeg

First question I would ask is exterior REAL LEATHER.

Are you also taking about interior, or exterior cleaning?

This Case is 70 years old, doing the wrong thing could kill value.

I recently purchased a mid 1940's Aristocrat.

I was looking at the case and I'm thinking I'd like to clean exteriors of the case. I'd like to be very gentle with this process. The lettering and painted(?) piping seem like they could be rather fragile. What is this material? If I knew what it was made of I may be able to determine how best to clean it. Was it a deep rose colored when new. What color are painted Gillette label and piping.

Methods? What am I really accomplishing. I'd like to think it might help preserve the material or brighten the color?

Of course, doing nothing is an option.

Recommendations?

Thanks

DirtyView attachment 1642750View attachment 1642751View attachment 1642752
I think this is the set
proxy.php

According to the ad, its a "Rich Texol-covered traveling (sic) case" Texol must be some artificial leather. Maybe still post war shortages of real leather for cases? Although $5 is a lot for 1947.

It seems to be a delicate silk-like material and velveteen plush material for case bottom. the deep cherry red colour seems to be quite fresh on yours.

Wait for real case restoration experts to turn up. Hope the original pics help you to visualise it.

Nice score!

Last edited:
First thing to consider, is there visible dirt on the case? If no, I would forgo cleaning it and dust it with a nice gentle Swifter. If there is visible soiling, I would use a very mild and gentle luke warm soap solution to dampen a cloth to lightly wipe it followed immediately with a microfiber cloth drying. A harsh chemical cleaner on such a vintage item could be damaging but a warm soapy solution is pretty safe.

Based on your pictures that case looks squeaky clean and it does not need cleaning, but I would wipe it with a damp cloth and lightly wipe dry if you want to reset it to you.

Last edited:
I think there's a reason that instructions on many cleaning solutions say "test in an inconspicuous location".

Really, your case doesn't look bad with its 75-year patina. I'm no expert, but if it was mine all I would do is gently wipe it with a soft cloth dampened with plain water.

Thanks all,
Texol huh? Well if its not leather then that narrows things down a little.

I may try a little dawn/water solution and a small cotton rag on the bottom and see what comes off.

I'm not to worried about the interior at this point. Maybe an old toothbrush would fluff the fabric a little. I'd couple that with a vacuum running nearby.

I'll circle back with results.

Dirty

A few years ago I bought my '48 Aristocrat and the case was almost black in spots. I took a mild solution of Dawn and water and used a microfiber cloth to gently rub the case. In some spots I had to use a soft tooth brush. I wiped the case after cleaning with another micro fiber cloth with warm water, then dried with yet another micro fiber cloth. I did not attempt to do the inside. The outside came out much better.

However, in your situation, your case looks very good for it's age and I would not bother with cleaning it, inside or out.

The results are in.

I took some dilute Dawn and applied it with a Qtip. Rubbed it around a little and wiped it off with a soft rag.

No cases were harmed in this process and very little dirt on the Qtip or the rag. I don't think it is that dirty.

I'm done with it. It is what it is and it's plenty good for me. I thought if it was dirt that the color would be hidden.

Dirty

Top Bottom